Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 5 and school

Options
  • 19-10-2020 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I won't be sending my kids back to school during level 5 lock down as I have chronic bronchitis, type 2 diabetes and a low immune system. I'm terrified that I'll end up with this virus and it'll finish me off.. I find it mind blowing that the schools along with airports and ports are not being shut down.. Am I being over cautious or doing the right thing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Difficult to know

Hard to see how level 5 can fully work with that movement every day which revolves around school. Maybe kids are outside 5k from school so parents will need to drop them. Then maybe they’ll stop at a shop on way home or for petrol. It all adds up to interaction with others and movement. The whole point must be to stop that

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Red snapper

I've just read an article stating that there are 1500 cases in schools in NI coming from their education minister and yet we are being told that schools are a safe environment clearly someone is telling lies...

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I've just read an article stating that there are 1500 cases in schools in NI coming from their education minister and yet we are being told that schools are a safe environment clearly someone is telling lies...

I’ve a feeling a lot of numbers are being covered up in schools. We can’t be different to schools in north. The virus can hardly tell the difference between schools either side if a border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I won't be sending my kids back to school during level 5 lock down as I have chronic bronchitis, type 2 diabetes and a low immune system. I'm terrified that I'll end up with this virus and it'll finish me off.. I find it mind blowing that the schools along with airports and ports are not being shut down.. Am I being over cautious or doing the right thing...

You are right to be cautious in your circumstances but for the vast vast majority We cannot mess up children’s education which will impact them for the rest of their lives . One closedown has already caused enough damage to children’s education. Hopefully teachers will step up to the plate like nurses and other frontline staff and give up moaning and looking to be off again .

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

In Holland and Belgium they have single schools closed because of outbreaks in some classes
    School is not a safe place and in this second wave there are more childeren and teens involved

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

In 6 weeks time you should have a fairly clear answer to that question.
    Schools will be about the only thing open and we should have a pretty good picture by then of how much they are driving the spread of this thing, or whether they are having any real impact on the numbers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

are there any ramifications by keeping the kids at home? i would imagine not, but typically isnt a child only allowed to miss something like 20 days before tusla or some such are informed of the childs absence? or is that completely fictional

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No that is true but I am not sure how strictly it is being applied at the moment??
    You would have to liaise with the school I would have thought though, so they know what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I think a lot of ppl need to realise the difference between x number of cases in schools and the number of cases transmitted in schools. These numbers are I'd be pretty sure vastly different.

I would suspect that is where the difference in the governments thinking is to keeping the schools open. However a bit of transparency and definition would go a long way.

If nothing else, this lockdown might silence the endless arguments for or against schools one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

shesty wrote: »
    If nothing else, this lockdown might silence the endless arguments for or against schools one way or the other.
    Agreed 100% although Im sure there will be some who will crowbar something in :D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

are there any ramifications by keeping the kids at home? i would imagine not, but typically isnt a child only allowed to miss something like 20 days before tusla or some such are informed of the childs absence? or is that completely fictional

If a child misses 20 days , legally , a school must notify Tusla. Realistically, Tusla don’t do anything , children missing months and months over years aren’t even investigated.If you have a child who is vulnerable or a household member who is, I’d be thinking hard about keeping the child at home at present .

Advertisement