Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot Water Advice (5 person house)

• 27-05-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm purchasing a house at the moment which was built in 2004. The house has a recently installed boiler (Ideal Logic Heat 24) but I have some questions that I hope you might be able to help with.

I'm moving from a new property where we have solar panels and during the summer months we'd have constant hot water. In the new property we don't have the same options.

There's 5 in our household with 2 adults and 3 teenagers so I'm concerned that in the new property our bills will go through the roof for hot water.

We're planning on doing some upgrades to the house before we move it (cavity wall pumping, attic insulation etc) and we're planning on changing out the bathrooms. Currently the showers are fitted with electric showers.

I'm looking for suggestions on what's the best approach with the upgrades. Would we install Solar PV with a diverter to a larger hot water tank (current tank is 200L) and replace the electric showers with mixer showers off the tank?

Any advise you can give would be appreciated. As I'm going from hot water Apr-Sept for free in my current house I'm nervous of getting a real spike in bills once we move into the new home.

Thanks in advance,
    Anto318

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭John.G

Try a get a handle on the running costs assuming all hot water gas derived and assuming HW consumption @ 50 LPD/person at 40C, gas at €0.076/kwh and boiler efficiency at 80%. the annual HW energy required is, 50*5*365*(40-10)/860, 3183 kwh, energy input, 3183/80%, 3979 kwh, Cost, 3979*0.076, €302/annum.
    Assume that solar thermal will give a minimum saving of half, = saving of €151/annum, very hard (if not impossible) to justify solar thermal installation on the above. Someone else can comment on solar PV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Hi anto318.

What id the BER rating of the new house your looking to purchase?
    Amd what what is your living arrangement likely to be? Will there be some one at home all day or not?

I be a big fan of solar pv in general. But it has to be sized in accordance to your living needs.
    With solar pv the house electric needs will always be priority over heating water so if someone is at home during the days using appliances the solar pv generation will be what runs these appliances. Only when there is a surplus of electricity they your diverter will kick in the hot water switch and heat the water instead of exporting to the grid.
    You would want to be looking at a bigger solar pv system if you want the hot water to be heated up as well as running electrical appliances, I'd be looking at a 4kw system without a battery the seai grant will only cover up too 2kw of 900 euro per kw thou.
    As the teenagers move on your likely to be generating more electricity than usage than you could look at adding at battery to your system down the line.
    Even at this size you will still need to heat water by gas too and if your getting attic and cavity insulation it be a good time to get your heating controls done too where you can separate the hot water from the radiators.
    I'd get these measures done first as if you got the solar pv done first and the house wasnt better than a C2 BER rating seai will not pay out on the grant..
    If the hot water cylinder is just a standard cylinder you might also need to replace this with a high performance cylinder.
    Solar thermal could work here too as your current experience with it have been positive over the most of march to Sept.

Rough cost of solar pv for a 4kw system 6 to 8k depends of roof space.
    Solar thermal 40 tubes 3.5 to 4.5k
    300 liter hot water cylinder 1.5 to 2k
    Heating controls 1 to 2k.

Advertisement