Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long was it before you passed your C driving test?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Just curious as to how long it took you guys to go from a learner driver to passing the driving test for Rigid Lorries?

Did you come from a background driving them or start from scratch? I'm just trying to estimate how long its going to take me, as I've been doing it for quite a while now and still dont feel 100% comfortable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

About four weeks with seven lessons. I found it a lot harder than the artic test to be honest. I guess you will never be 100% confident so just trust your instructor when he says you're ready for the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Rigid harder than the artic????god no!currently after 7 lessons in 2 different trucks,lets just say that until lesson 7 i found it tough,new truck had a rear steer axle and dear god its great.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Rigid harder than the artic????god no!currently after 7 lessons in 2 different trucks,lets just say that until lesson 7 i found it tough,new truck had a rear steer axle and dear god its great.

That was my thoughts anyway..sure once your used to the driving position and gears from the rigid test the artic is just a bigger version of a tractor and a large trailer.
    If you didn't grow up on a farm then maybe it might be different.
    I only had three lessons for the artic :D

eire-kp wrote: »
    That was my thoughts anyway..sure once your used to the driving position and gears from the rigid test the artic is just a bigger version of a tractor and a large trailer.
    If you didn't grow up on a farm then maybe it might be different.
    I only had three lessons for the artic :D
    I grew up in the middle of a busy city,never even sat in a tractor let alone drove one :rolleyes: but I found the rigid and bus no problem,just lining up the trailer for the reverse seems to be the hardest bit but sure we'll have to keep on trying :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

More importantly , how much does it cost now? lesson and test fee?

Bendoverprice Wa:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

More importantly , how much does it cost now? lesson and test fee?

Bendoverprice Wa:eek:

Lessons are about €60-70 per hour
    test fee is 120 + you have to rent the truck which is another €130~ or so for an hour before the test and during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I was a very quick learner.....20 lessons and 3 tests from scratch :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

jimmyw wrote: »
    I was a very quick learner.....20 lessons and 3 tests from scratch :D.

3 tests? Did you fail the first two!? :v

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

hairybelly wrote: »
    3 tests? Did you fail the first two!? :v

Yeah, I should have quit while I was ahead, eh! :p

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I grew up in the middle of a busy city,never even sat in a tractor let alone drove one :rolleyes: but I found the rigid and bus no problem,just lining up the trailer for the reverse seems to be the hardest bit but sure we'll have to keep on trying :cool:

Maybe you should get a few lessons a tractor...it would be cheaper :D
    Actually what you said there is right though my instructor always said you could spot the lads that had spent time maneuvering large tractor trailer combinations in tight spaces before..they always ended up the the truck and trailer in the optimum position and cab at the best angle to the trailer etc for the reversing maneuver before the stopped going forward!
    As you will see when you get your license and out in some yards it's not some thing than be taught easily it just comes from experience.
    I've never driver an artic since the test but it's nice to have the license all the same.

• Advertisement

eire-kp wrote: »
    Maybe you should get a few lessons a tractor...it would be cheaper :D
    Actually what you said there is right though my instructor always said you could spot the lads that had spent time maneuvering large tractor trailer combinations in tight spaces before..they always ended up the the truck and trailer in the optimum position and cab at the best angle to the trailer etc for the reversing maneuver before the stopped going forward!
    As you will see when you get your license and out in some yards it's not some thing than be taught easily it just comes from experience.
    I've never driver an artic since the test but it's nice to have the license all the same.
    where would I fit the driving instructor/tester :P plus the speed limits are another issue,it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried it though :rolleyes: I have them all except the artic and bike,but the artic is next on my agenda to get,then the bike,buses are easy though,rigid an all :D

I was talking to a Lad today about HGV test , he said You have to take 12 lessons now! "its mandatory" just like cars bikes.

Any truth to this lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I passed my C+E (artic) test in early July 2014 and I didnt hear anything about "mandatory 12 x lessons"?!

I did 6 x lessons and then took the test (passed first time). I didnt have any experience of truck driving since 2003 (when I passed my C test - after 6 x lessons). No other experience of trucks pre-2003 either :D

I found the reversing tricky too. Several times during lessons I got it ok, then other times I was off-the-mark so to speak. On the day of the test I didnt get it as neat as I wanted. However I believe if you get the reverse fairly ok you will still pass (once the rest of the test goes ok that is!). Many testers are former truck drivers themselves and know that it takes a long time to master reversing.

I did my lessons and test in a wagon-and-drag combination (which I preferred over a regular artic set-up).
    The school / truck+trailer I used -

http://www.aclearsteerdriving.com/?page_id=46

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yes14

I done 2 lessone before my c test .passed first time
    Thinking of doing the artic now.dunno what to do

yes14 wrote: »
    My Brother Did the artic, Cant get a job in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

My Brother Did the artic, Cant get a job in Ireland.
    at end of year CPC last week no artic driver 25 yrs old or younger, most unemployed
    met artic driver who said Continent is place for work and proper earnings and hours, strictly monitored, but fair, provided you follow rules to T. ie fella stopped for dinner decided to wash window ,car driver parked in front hopped out when engine was started ,showed id and checked taco. he was fined €80 for working during rest time. all he had to do was wait for time to expire and wash window 5 mins .
    here likely work is zero hours contracts etc.days are fistful of drops till finish and same start time in morning, if involved in accident,well .

know one fella lost job and was offered another driving, first couple weeks full hrs and after that, 2hrs one day 3 next,3 hrs third, fecked up stamps, cos hes living at home he cant get supplementary income .

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

passed theory test for cat c there now where do i take cert to get my provisional and what else do i need to take ?

ferrete wrote: »
    passed theory test for cat c there now where do i take cert to get my provisional and what else do i need to take ?

NDLS centre with your medical,PPS number,test cert plus I.D and don't forget the bit they love most the €€€€€€€€€€€€€€'s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I recently got new categories added to my licence (C+E, B+E, C1+E, D1+E). I would suggest that you make an online appointment to get your new licence (ndls.ie).

you dont need a medical again when getting a cat c provisional do you?

• Advertisement

you dont need a medical again when getting a cat c provisional do you?
    once the medical is valid and for all categories,NO :D

thanks was panicing there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

yes14 wrote: »

if nothing else an artic licence is a plus, too many rigid only licence holders around now so id go for it, maybe get bit of tractor and trailer driving experience with contractor or even a farmer to get used to reversing for a start everything helps

Advertisement