Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 15-09-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm buying a jeep to pull a box and 2 horses, also needed for day to day use in and out of work.

I was thinking of Toyota Rav 4, does anyone have any experience or advice on this jeep?

Weight of box, roughly 1500kg. Weight of each horse roughly 500kg.

Looking at Diesel and commercial.

I will be trading in my 08 Seat Ibiza.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭M25

Also looking at a Nissan Terrano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

A bigger 4x4 is needed

sticking with toyota the land cruiser
    range rover the discovery or range rover would also be suitable.

What ever you pick it will have to be a diesel to keep running cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

No small 4x4 will be rated to tow that sort of weight legally, most are only good for 2000kg.

Terrano may be, you'd need to check. Otherwise as visual says you need a full size 4x4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

The pajero is a good machine. Have one and it's significantly cheaper to buy than a landcruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭M25

The Land cruiser is a bit expensive. Is there a cheaper jeep similar to the Land Cruiser?

I looked at the Pajero, but a few people have told me it eats petrol or diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

The 3.2 is not that hard on diesel tbh. 30-32 mph tipping about, about 26-28 pulling. The landcruiser is about the same if not heavier towing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

M25 wrote: »
    The Land cruiser is a bit expensive. Is there a cheaper jeep similar to the Land Cruiser?

I looked at the Pajero, but a few people have told me it eats petrol or diesel?

All the full size 4x4s eat fuel 30mpg would be excellent the newer 4x4s are around 3 litre and more efficient than the older 2.5 litre diesels

petrol models are just to expensive to run and use as a tow vehicle. So you'll have to rule them out.

Jeep cherokee 2.7 CRD can be got at reasonable money great machine and well able to tow the weight but hard to find in commercial.

Discovery would be next maybe a little unreliable but not too expensive to maintain.

If you go back a few years you pick up most models a bit cheaper but you be looking at 25 to 30 mpg tops much less towing.

The cheaper 4x4 are usually cheaper for a reason.

If it was me I be looking for a little comfort in my 4x4 so would be looking at Jeep Grand Cherokee or Range Rover in passenger model with air con and leather seats. Then get it converted to commercial. A bit of work and messing about getting it converted but you will pick these up cheap because no one wants to pay the motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Buy a Ssangyong Musso. Will tow a house and never break. Cheap as chips too. Others will disagree. They're wrong.

Advertisement