Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Ethanol Fire Place

Options
  • 21-03-2016 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Forgive me if this topic is up somewhere else but couldn't find what I was looking for...

I am looking into a bio ethanol fire - im not looking to eco heat the house, just a bit of warmth in one room, just a wall hung fire. I want a smokeless fire I don't have to clean out, that is not going to cost an absolute fortune to run when I do, which will be infrequent as the house is very hot already (new energy eff boiler, rads, walls pumped and so on). From what I can gather it's quite cheap. I have an electric crappy poor heat insert that is just blowing dust out when we put it on.
    Hopefully going to take it out and block off the opening and hang the fire on the stone fireplace. I don't want gas as I'm not in the best of health and I find it fumy lighting (had it before) and can't have anything that burns due to the ashes/smoke factor. From what I have read they are mean't to throw out a lot of heat for what they are...

However... has anyone else had one for similar purposes and how did they find it - what type did you go for - how many burners did you have in it that gave it that effect? Did you find it ok to use cost wise or was it actually worse than a gas fire? :-D

Info will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

Hi Member 88, I would be interested to hear if you went ahead with the Bio Ethanol fire and what has been your experience?
    We are looking into similar.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone installed one of these fireplaces?

I'm considering getting one for my sitting room in a new house that has no chimney!

Do they really give off no smoke or smell?

They look great, but do they give of much heat or are they more for show?

Thanks,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Hi

Have any of you went ahead with the bio fire? Do you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Hi,

I've had one for the last 3 years or so and I like it.

I've a new house with no chimney so was looking for an alternative. Had looked at electric fires etc but liked the idea of a real flame.

It's also nice to have a fireplace now to put Christmas cards on and the like.

A 1 liter bottle of fuel lasts about three hours and costs about 3 euro.

It's a real flame, and it takes 5 to 10 mins to get going fully.

There's a bit of a smell at the end if you let it burn all the way out of fuel, so best to close the siding trap door thing to extinguish the fire rather than let it burn out to prevent that.

We've an A rated new build house, and the heat is enough to nicely warm our large sitting room, but it's not a massive roaring log fire so it's toastie rather than roasting.

I liked that you could pick any style of fireplace, like wood or stone or whatever, and just swap out the grate for a bioethanol insert.

I'll try find a few photos, and questions just shout.

Al.

• Advertisement

Some photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That looks great!

Love the dog ❤️

Advertisement