Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep org Super Nintendo or get mini

Options
  • 10-11-2020 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Sorry to barge into the forum but we are not big gamers. Years ago I bought my husband an original Super Nintendo. It’s the only console he ever had any interest in. We had a ball with it. Now years later we have smart TVs so connection not working.

So my question is there a way to connect it up or should I just try and find a mini classic instead? Is it worth it?

Don’t want to get switch etc as don’t want the kids to start into those just yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cheapest option with good quality is this:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE

Anything cheaper or that can be found on amazon is utter ****.

As the listing says you'll need a cable as well and if you don't have that they sell it here as well:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/MALE-HDMI-A-TO-MINI-C-HDMI-CABLE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

You're not big gamers...so the answer is simple. Keep the original one for nostalgia/display purposes, and grab a SNES mini to use and enjoy over hdmi.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Inviere wrote: »
    You're not big gamers...so the answer is simple. Keep the original one for nostalgia/display purposes, and grab a SNES mini to use and enjoy over hdmi.

Display it next to the LEGO NES 😀 thanks for the response. I’ll look into the cost.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Cheapest option with good quality is this:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE

Anything cheaper or that can be found on amazon is utter ****.

As the listing says you'll need a cable as well and if you don't have that they sell it here as well:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/MALE-HDMI-A-TO-MINI-C-HDMI-CABLE

I appreciate the response thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

polydactyl wrote: »
    Sorry to barge into the forum but we are not big gamers. Years ago I bought my husband an original Super Nintendo. It’s the only console he ever had any interest in. We had a ball with it. Now years later we have smart TVs so connection not working.
    Are you certain it will not connect?

are you looking to connect to mulitple smart tvs? I would check as some might have connections that could work, they might be hidden behind little plastic doors on the TV.

I guess your cable is like this
    5e60cd6fecb6e600595572e9-large.jpg?cache_buster=6315a6ad0e3ea9f4eb0f9677f965a4cb

I have a cable similar to that with the 3 outputs for my PS3. I connect those wires into the front of my dvd player and then the dvd player can connect to my TV. The tv cannot take those 3 wires in directly. Some upc or sky boxes might be able to do that too, I am not sure.

On another tv I only had scart in so used one of these.

RGB-Scart-to-Composite-RCA-S-Video-Audio-Adapter-S-Video-Cable-3-RCA-To-3.jpg

Also take note that a low resolution console on a big crisp screen can look pretty bad & blocky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rubadub wrote: »
    Also take note that a low resolution console on a big crisp screen can look pretty bad & blocky.

With those cables it's going to look really really bad which is why I recommended the Rad2x. Composite is terrible. I recognise the Rad2x is expensive but if you have the games you want on the SNES then it's cheaper than a SNES mini and will get you great picture quality.

Thanks everyone I’ll check....

polydactyl wrote: »
    Thanks everyone I’ll check....

SNES mini does have a good line up built in and you'll get good picture quality from it out of the box.

You won't be able to use your old cartridges with it but there is a way to put more games on it with a bit of technical know how and a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

if you have the games you want on the SNES then it's cheaper than a SNES mini and will get you great picture quality.

I was going to say there's not much in the difference price wise, and the extra for a Snes Mini would appear well worth it given you're getting two brand new 1st party controllers, & the ability to easily add more games onto it.....BUT, they must be out of production again are they? Can't see them retailed anywhere....just stupid second hand pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You won't be able to use your old cartridges with it but there is a way to put more games on it with a bit of technical know how and a google.
    and she should know there are also dodgy cartridges that will work in the old snes to load on loads of games. Not sure which is easier to do, I guess you can buy the original snes cart all set up ready to go.

As the original was a present it might have a bit of sentimental value too. You could get a few euro for it to put towards the mini snes. Some might value the small size and portability if moving around the house.

My TV is a plasma which is sort of similar to a CRT, I was looking into getting better cables for my PS3 but its an odd connection, a VGA socket which takes in component.

• Advertisement
Advertisement