Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour ideas for my sitting room.

Options
  • 26-10-2020 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm just starting to decorate the sitting room and I'm looking for some color ideas. Yesterday I set to wall papering the chimney breast as I always fancied a stone effect behind the stove. I browsed through the paper selection at woodies and found a nice terracotta & gray stone effect paper and iv very pleased with it now its hung... now that's done the walls need a colour to bring every thing together... I'm even open to two colours in the room ... may be some thing either side of the breast and the rest of the room another .. I welcome any suggestions as I'm not that good at matching.
    Many thanks ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

Hi all.
    I'm just starting to decorate the sitting room and I'm looking for some color ideas. Yesterday I set to wall papering the chimney breast as I always fancied a stone effect behind the stove. I browsed through the paper selection at woodies and found a nice terracotta & gray stone effect paper and iv very pleased with it now its hung... now that's done the walls need a colour to bring every thing together... I'm even open to two colours in the room ... may be some thing either side of the breast and the rest of the room another .. I welcome any suggestions as I'm not that good at matching.
    Many thanks ...
    Forgot to include pictures of the stone effect paper and some of the sitting room .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Forgot to include pictures of the stone effect paper and some of the sitting room .

Lovely job - love the stove & floors.
    Have you tried getting those colour swatch books from woodies and trying them both up against the paper and in the room? The aspect/light of the room can make a big difference to whatever colour and tone you choose so its important you check it in the room before you do the painting!!!

Woodies also do little paint pot testers which you can try on different bits of the walls in different aspects. Might be worth a try after you use the swatches to narrow it down.

Your floor is a lovely deep rich warm colour so see if you can check that the wall colour works with that too. You don’t want too harsh and flat a colour.

Luckily your couches and shelves and frames are Ll the same colour (black!) so if you are keeping them the same black goes with everything! (Luckily!). You need to match the floor in with the colour you choose!

Don’t some of the paint websites or home decor plces have apps where you can upload a photo of your room and it will let you try out different colour paints virtually in it??? It won’t be an exact science as the lihht in the room will make a big difference but it would be a good way to try out a lot of colours and experiment around!!

Havn’t used this one but something like this!

https://www.ppgpaints.com/color/color-tools/visualizer

This one might be better as you can upload a pic that includes the wall with your wallpaper & you can get dulux samples easily!!

https://www.dulux.ca/diy/colour/paint-colour-visualizer

Have fun!!!!

Have you tried getting those colour swatch books from woodies and trying them both up against the paper and in the room? The aspect/light of the room can make a big difference to whatever colour and tone you choose so its important you check it in the room before you do the painting!!!

Woodies also do little paint pot testers which you can try on different bits of the walls in different aspects. Might be worth a try after you use the swatches to narrow it down.

Your floor is a lovely deep rich warm colour so see if you can check that the wall colour works with that too. You don’t want too harsh and flat a colour.

Luckily your couches and shelves and frames are Ll the same colour (black!) so if you are keeping them the same black goes with everything! (Luckily!). You need to match the floor in with the colour you choose!

Don’t some of the paint websites or home decor plces have apps where you can upload a photo of your room and it will let you try out different colour paints virtually in it??? It won’t be an exact science as the lihht in the room will make a big difference but it would be a good way to try out a lot of colours and experiment around!!

This one might be better as you can upload a pic that includes the wall with your wallpaper & you can get dulux samples easily!!

Have fun!!!!

Many thanks for your suggestions.. I'm poping in to woodies today for " essential bulbs" so ill have a look and see what's about.
    Thanks

Have fun!!!!

Just a little up date on the sitting room!
    Went with a fleet wood colour "hepburn"
    It's very drifferant to the courtyard cream that was there previously!! The sitting room is very snuggie now!!
    Il try get a better picture of it during the day light.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cant see from your finished picture if you’ve done it but we painted our living room light grey and a friend who is an interior designer said to do the ceiling the same colour but keep the coving white. I was sceptical but we decided she was the expert and it looks great. I’m terrible with colours so don’t know how this would work with other colours. I’ll try to attach a picture of it. The photo probably doesn’t do it justice though.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Cant see from your finished picture if you’ve done it but we painted our living room light grey and a friend who is an interior designer said to do the ceiling the same colour but keep the coving white. I was sceptical but we decided she was the expert and it looks great. I’m terrible with colours so don’t know how this would work with other colours. I’ll try to attach a picture of it. The photo probably doesn’t do it justice though.

I taught about it but didnt go for it in the end I rolled 2 coats on the ceiling of brillant white aswell as brushed 2 coats on the coving.
    Your gray wall and ceiling broke up by the white coving looks very well I'm sure it's really snuggie in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I taught about it but didnt go for it in the end I rolled 2 coats on the ceiling of brillant white aswell as brushed 2 coats on the coving.
    Your gray wall and ceiling broke up by the white coving looks very well I'm sure it's really snuggie in the evening.

Yeah it makes the room warm. We’d never have done it if the friend hadn’t said to, we painted the entire house in February after getting some work done and she chose all the colours. We wouldn’t have picked anything she chose but are delighted with everything. I’m terrible at imagining a colour up on a wall but we just decided to make use of an expert as we had access to one for free.

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah it makes the room warm. We’d never have done it if the friend hadn’t said to, we painted the entire house in February after getting some work done and she chose all the colours. We wouldn’t have picked anything she chose but are delighted with everything. I’m terrible at imagining a colour up on a wall but we just decided to make use of an expert as we had access to one for free.

The sitting room in the cold light of day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

The sitting room in the cold light of day!!

Looks well, nice colour on the walls. I would paint the skirting boards white - a satin undercoat and a satin finish.

Klopp wrote: »
    Looks well, nice colour on the walls. I would paint the skirting boards white - a satin undercoat and a satin finish.
    Iv a Mexican pine tv unit on way it will help match up with the other unit also the floor might look out of place if I do the skirting ????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 calliealbert

Many types of colour but i recommend you see your floor colour before select a wall colour

Advertisement