Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario is 35!

Options
  • 01-10-2020 9:07am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So,

Mario turning the big 35 this year and so Nintendo has been pushing the brand of the lesser Mario brother pretty hard, with the release of the Super Mario 3D Allstars collection on the Switch, the launch of the Game&Watch Super Mario Bros handheld in November and Super Mario 3D World next year.

This morning, however, they released Super Mario 35, for free to Switch Online subscribers in Japan and to all other locations over the next 24 hours.

And, having downloaded it this morning... it's a riot!

You join 34 other players attempting a classic SMB stage and, as you defeat enemies they head for an opponents stage to cause them hassle, and the last player standing is the winner!
    I've not done too well so far :(

It uses the template of Tetris 99, so you can see others progress in teensy windows surrounding your play space and you can target other players based on four criteria during play, as you could in the earlier game.

So, assuming you have the Switch and an online sub, I suggest you watch the local eShop and get playing!

What was the best Mario game? 47 votes

Mario Bros
    65% 31 votes
    Super Mario Bros
    2% 1 vote
    Super Mario Bros 2 (FDD)
    2% 1 vote
    Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario Bros 3
    4% 2 votes
    Super Mario World
    4% 2 votes
    Super Mario 64
    12% 6 votes
    Super Mario Sunshine
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario Galaxy
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    4% 2 votes
    Super Mario 3D World
    2% 1 vote
    Super Mario Odyssey
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario Land
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario Land 2
    0% 0 votes
    New Super Mario Bros
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario Bros 3D Land
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario Maker
    0% 0 votes
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    0% 0 votes
    New Super Mario Bros 2
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given that Super Mario really exists as both a great modern franchise and a fantastic library of games, in many genres, that is certainly in the retrogaming field...

What are peoples own highlights over the franchises history, and what were the best times spent in the company of the second greatest Mario brother of them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Looks like a lot of fun, been on the fence about picking up a switch for a long time, this is something i would really enjoy on the system.

Spent soo many hours playing Super Mario Bros Deluxe on the Gameboy when i was younger, was my first mario game as i didnt have a NES or SNES

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Jaysus my brain would tire out with all thats going on onscreen in SMB 35!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The one and only Mario game I have ever played was the Game and Watch way back when

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Skerries wrote: »
    The one and only Mario game I have ever played was the Game and Watch way back when
    That is an impressive feat that that you have somehow avoided playing any Mario games beyond a Game&Watch.
    This thread suddenly makes me want to get a Nintendo Switch...please tell me I shouldn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My question to you would be 'why don't you own a Switch already???!'

Such a great console. Lately I've found I'm playing it docked more and more like a regular console for some reason. Was undocked 99% of the time when I first got it.

Bought an Xbox One about 6 months to a year ago. Apart from playing through Resident Evil 4 again I haven't gone near it much at all in comparison.

Gave Mario 35 a go last night, it's really great fun! Definitely worth a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Switch is just ridiculously good.
    Not as a next-gen powerhouse, I'll grant you, but as a time devourer it is unparalleled.
    I'm losing hours to Picross, more again to the plethora of indie titles that I've somehow bought, as well as the big ticket titles, which are building into quite the pile.
    It's a cracking machine, both as a handheld and docked, though not cheap when you think you think Switch costs more than a PS4... and you can play Bloodborne on a PS4... but it can't fit in your pocket, and a Switch can play Dark Souls... so buy a Switch!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When Ciderman first saw Super Mario Bros. running on a NES he fell off his dinosaur in shock.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When Ciderman first saw Super Mario Bros. running on a NES he fell off his dinosaur in shock.

I was never taken by the Famicom at the time, rather the world was all about the ZX Spectrum and C64...
    Who needs Super Mario Bros when you have Uridium, Quazatron and Bounder?

Master of the Universe

Is the Switch now more expensive than a PS4? Christ! I didn't see that coming. Would still go with it over a PS4 any day.

One big annoyance with it though is the analogue stick drift. I had minor drift on my right stick for a long time (in twin stick games the camera keeps looking down) which was just about useable, but it's gone off the charts now so I'm stuck only playing games that use the left stick.

Have a new stick coming from ebay, so I'll be trying a bit of Joycon surgery. I've heard the shoulder buttons can be a bit fiddly!

• Advertisement

And, the games on Nintendo hardware to make me drop my Stegosaurus/Salad wrap were Starfox and, later, Super Mario 64.

Naturally, Shadow of the Empire is too spectacular a game to mention, given it's perfection....

It's no Legend of the Dragoon mind you...

I've never been into cutesy type games so Nintendo never really appealed to me. I have a Switch, but it's mostly to help pass time when traveling. Even then I tend to play indie games.

"Cutesy" visuals aside, Nintendo have made many of the best games of the past 30 years and even if you only focus on the past 10 you still end up with a list of must-have titles.
    Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is, possibly, one of the most important games ever made, redefined it's own genre and what any of us could expect from a videogame, it is as groundbreaking as Doom, Pacman or Gran Turismo.
    And it seemed that Nintendo had made it's only needed miracle, until Super Mario Odyssey arrived and redefined the platformer, just outstanding.

Master of the Universe

What amazes me about Nintendo is how they can keep making fun and interesting new games out of the same franchises.

30 years now of playing Mario and Zelda games and I'm not getting sick of them yet - you'd think at this stage we'd all have moved on.

Imagine if The Simpsons had consistently been putting out episodes up to the same quality and standard as the first 8-10 seasons for the last 30 years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's so much moronic nonsense about Nintendo using the same franchises all the time yet each game in a series is usually wildly different from the last. Even safer franchises like Zelda get changed up radically when they get stale with unique experiences like Majora's Mask and BotW.

Mario and Kirby though are massively experimental between games. The only 'safe' mario game I can think of was Mario Galaxy 2 which itself was a wildly inventive take on the first galaxy.

These same morons are usually the ones swallowing the same gears of war lite gameplay from every naughty dog game.

Also nintendo put out lots of new franchises as well but don't get given credit for it. Stuff like Splatoon and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's so much moronic nonsense about Nintendo using the same franchises all the time yet each game in a series is usually wildly different from the last. Even safer franchises like Zelda get changed up radically when they get stale with unique experiences like Majora's Mask and BotW.

Mario and Kirby though are massively experimental between games. The only 'safe' mario game I can think of was Mario Galaxy 2 which itself was a wildly inventive take on the first galaxy.

These same morons are usually the ones swallowing the same gears of war lite gameplay from every naughty dog game.

Also nintendo put out lots of new franchises as well but don't get given credit for it. Stuff like Splatoon and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is the Switch now more expensive than a PS4? Christ! I didn't see that coming. Would still go with it over a PS4 any day.

Surprised you went with an Xbox One over the PS4.

Far better exclusives on the PS, the only xbox/MS exclusives that seduced me are Forza Horizon 4 and Flight Simulator 2020 which isnt out on XBox yet, and these can all be played on a gaming PC anyways.

I personally never cared for Gears of War or Halo.

I'm getting both but probably going to have to wait for the PS5... Unless I get lucky approaching launch, say I get a pre-order in Argos or something.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

Far better exclusives on the PS, the only xbox/MS exclusives that seduced me are Forza Horizon 4 and Flight Simulator 2020 which isnt out on XBox yet, and these can all be played on a gaming PC anyways.

Yeah I wasn't going for either, there was a bargain alert posted where Microsoft Germany was selling them stupid cheap for something like 120 euro.

Had bought one before I'd even realised what I'd done :eek:

Played 15 minutes of the latest Gears of War as it came with it. Absolute sh1te.

I haven't played GoW since the first first couple on the 360, just seems like yesterdays gameplay these days.
    Halo, I still enjoy but there are so many good and great first person shooters to choose from, Halo is just lost in the noise.
    Why did I pre-order the Xbox Series X again?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I haven't played GoW since the first first couple on the 360, just seems like yesterdays gameplay these days.

That's EXACTLY it, felt like I'd gone back in time to the early 360 days, and not in any kind of a good way.

Doge wrote: »

The PS4 for me as a PC gamer isn't much better. It's got good exclusives but not a whole lot of them, just look on wikipedia to see how small the list is. It's even smaller if you aren't investing in PSVR. We are talking less than the Gamecube/XBox levels of worthwhile exclusives

The PS4 is only the better console because the One is so bad. Honestly if you have a One or a PC you aren't missing out too much on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Norton_user

Yes, I also like to play Mario. specially for this I installed the Jnes emulator

Advertisement