Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm a wimp!

• 04-12-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

Today is the first day in almost 5 months, since getting my IBT, that I've taken the car to work.

There was too much frosty stuff on the car this morning to contemplate taking the bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Typically it's just not worth taking the bike out on a bad day, especially on ice. I'm sure it's not so bad if you live directly in the city, but where I live I have to go down a few back roads to get to the city and they're often iced over.

Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Typically it's just not worth taking the bike out on a bad day, especially on ice. I'm sure it's not so bad if you live directly in the city, but where I live I have to go down a few back roads to get to the city and they're often iced over.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm 17 miles from work and in an estate, so once out onto the main roads its normally not too bad, but I leave the house at 6 am and the roads are normally not that well travelled at that stage. It means the wife has to walk the kids to school but them walking 3/4 of a mile in this weather is character building!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

You've a wife and young kids. That's maturity , sense, and caring for your impact on the ones you love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm 17 miles from work and in an estate, so once out onto the main roads its normally not too bad, but I leave the house at 6 am and the roads are normally not that well travelled at that stage. It means the wife has to walk the kids to school but them walking 3/4 of a mile in this weather is character building!! :p

Everyone's different when it comes to this. I have a couple of 100 metres to reach the main road which can get quite frosty and after that it's usually plain sailing but I have also come off the bike on ice in the estate too, despite this I still used to take the bike bar terrible conditions. I used to go mad at myself when I'd take the car and get to the end of the road and it would be clear. With traffic being so light now a days its hard not to just jump in the car on a badish morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

My IBT instructor's advice always stuck with me - "The correct speed for driving in icy, frosty condition is zero".

• Advertisement

I posted a video on here before when I hit black ice and somehow didn't go down, that was in an evening at around 6 or 7 on a main road, heavily used and temp was about 4 degrees, so ice or frost wasn't even in my head at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would not call that wimpy, more common sensible.
    The younger me would have tried it and likely ended up on my arse. Older me is a bit wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Better safe than sorry.

I only have a few 100 meters through the estate before i get to busy roads so I usually chance it but I've had some close calls even going at walking speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Breezin

Since we're on the topic of ice, does anyone know if local authorities these days put actual salt on roads, or is it just grit?

It was always said that bikes in Britain had a harder time because of salting, whereas we didn't do it, but I'm not sure that's still the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Breezin wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of ice, does anyone know if local authorities these days put actual salt on roads, or is it just grit?

It was always said that bikes in Britain had a harder time because of salting, whereas we didn't do it, but I'm not sure that's still the case.
    We salt and grit.

I remember the winter of the big freeze and the gritters ran out of salt. The media was reporting every move of a bulk carrier of road salt as it made it's way up the east coast!

• Advertisement

Breezin wrote: »

They tend to salt and grit more frequently than us, probably due to better resources and slightly different weather conditions. But I have noticed since the season we ran out of salt that the gritters are out the night before as soon as 0 degrees is forecast, it wasn't as regular as that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Breezin

OK then. I'd better to get used to using the hose more so.

And the blow dryer, of course! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I rode back 27 miles to home at 3am. It was a wee bit chilly that's all.

The Mrs has been mocking me all week calling me an old man for wearing long johns. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

We salt and grit.

I remember the winter of the big freeze and the gritters ran out of salt. The media was reporting every move of a bulk carrier of road salt as it made it's way up the east coast!

I was out for a walk last night as they were salting the road.
    Truck passed and gave me a face full.
    F*CK you I yelled back through gritted teeth! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If anyone remembers the huge snow we had about 5 years ago or so. I remember on biker.ie there were loads of hard lads talking about how they can ride in any conditions, followed by loads of stories of crashes and broken arms the next few days. There's no point for being a hero and putting your safety at risk, it's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

blade1 wrote: »

That is awful, Blade.

I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Don't be so salty

Don't be so salty

I'm just well seasoned at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Christ, you been opening the crackers early?
    :D

They have saddle warmers too, Tucano Urbano Coolwarm Heated seat Cover €53.00 , I'm tempted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They have saddle warmers too, Tucano Urbano Coolwarm Heated seat Cover €53.00 , I'm tempted :)

There is no end to the amount of heated stuff these days, between vests, gloves, grips, seatwarmers, modern bikes must have serious battery and alternator setups now.
    I'm waiting for the heated ballbag bags to be released.:D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There is no end to the amount of heated stuff these days, between vests, gloves, grips, seatwarmers, modern bikes must have serious battery and alternator setups now.

Screenshot-20201206-081119.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't know, I've a upgraded MOSFET regulator , brand new stator (alternator) and the Battery was new Also and still bike struggles with the KEIS heated jacket full blast and Oxford heated grips full blast.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've to keep turning the grips down or off when the warning light comes on.

listermint wrote: »
    I don't know, I've a upgraded MOSFET regulator , brand new stator (alternator) and the Battery was new Also and still bike struggles with the KEIS heated jacket full blast and Oxford heated grips full blast.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've to keep turning the grips down or off when the warning light comes on.

How many Ah is your battery?

I don't use utilities so I sacrifice some Ah for CCA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

In the same position as the OP with one car in the house so it would take lying snow to make me leave the bike at home. I have often left at -3 temperatures on my 40 mile commute. As mentioned I nurse the bike out of the estate until I get to the main road where I pick up the pace a little. Its only when I join the motorway ill increase speed again. I just try and keep everything smooth. The Honda NC I commute on is ideal for this type of riding. 54HP comes into its own here. Im not foolish to think that some day I will go down on a patch of ice but hopefully it will be in the estate at low speed.

How many Ah is your battery?

I don't use utilities so I sacrifice some Ah for CCA.

You know something I never bothered checking. Which looking back was stupid. It was replaced with like for like. Which thinking back. I should have upped it for an optimate or something

In the same position as the OP with one car in the house so it would take lying snow to make me leave the bike at home. I have often left at -3 temperatures on my 40 mile commute. As mentioned I nurse the bike out of the estate until I get to the main road where I pick up the pace a little. Its only when I join the motorway ill increase speed again. I just try and keep everything smooth. The Honda NC I commute on is ideal for this type of riding. 54HP comes into its own here. Im not foolish to think that some day I will go down on a patch of ice but hopefully it will be in the estate at low speed.

Same here. Luckily no commuting presently due to wfh.

What wattage are the jacket and grips?
    Are you running the RR direct to the Battery?
    If not its worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yesterday was viable, today was a no no.

• Advertisement

What wattage are the jacket and grips?
    Are you running the RR direct to the Battery?
    If not its worth doing.

Jacket is direct to battery via fuse.

Grips are via a Switched Relay for ignition.

Grips
    The technical data included in the instructions states that typical running voltage is between 13.5 and 14.3 volts.

Each grip requires 2.1 amps or 28 to 30 Watts, so practically speaking the total draw should be around 60 Watts.

Jacket
    The vest will draw about 1.5 Amps, power is 18 Watts

Jacket is direct to battery via fuse.

Grips are via a Switched Relay for ignition.

Grips

Jacket

The Alternator will have three wires that come out of the case, those three wires will go to the R/R and they come out as two wires supplying regulated power, these two wires should go straight to the Battery as a fused supply, many bikes take the power all around the bike first then to the Battery which results in a lot of power loss.
    Worth doing this as the gains can be substantial.

The Alternator will have three wires that come out of the case, those three wires will go to the R/R and they come out as two wires supplying regulated power, these two wires should go straight to the Battery as a fused supply, many bikes take the power all around the bike first then to the Battery which results in a lot of power loss.
    Worth doing this as the gains can be substantial.

Cheers, il take a look at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

OP you're not a wimp at all.
    Very sensible I'd say.

You can never rely on the roads being salted.
    Saturday night the council in a Leinster area didn't salt the roads till 9 am Sunday morning.

The roundabouts were like skating rinks.

You can be as careful and as skilled as you like on a bike on ice but all it takes is someone in a car, truck or bus to slide into you on a roundabout, corner or junction and wipe you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Years ago, around the time of a big snow/freeze, I was looking forward to the idea of 'speedway riding' my Funduro to work.

10 metres I got, max, from the gate. And slid gracefully. -ish. You have no idea how heavy an F650 is when it's on it's side......and there's so little grip you can't stand.

That cured me for life that did.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Years ago, around the time of a big snow/freeze, I was looking forward to the idea of 'speedway riding' my Funduro to work.

10 metres I got, max, from the gate. And slid gracefully. -ish. You have no idea how heavy an F650 is when it's on it's side......and there's so little grip you can't stand.

That cured me for life that did.

LOL, been there.

One people might not think of... my first encounter with ice on a bike, probably within my first year riding. I was at a stop sign, went to put my foot down and it was pure ice, luckily I didn't go over it with the tyres, just when I copped my foot was sliding I gave it a little juice to find somewhere else to put the foot down. Pure luck or instinct, I'm not sure which but probably the former. I've always been conscious of where I go to put my foot down since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

zubair wrote: »
    LOL, been there.

One people might not think of... my first encounter with ice on a bike, probably within my first year riding. I was at a stop sign, went to put my foot down and it was pure ice, luckily I didn't go over it with the tyres, just when I copped my foot was sliding I gave it a little juice to find somewhere else to put the foot down. Pure luck or instinct, I'm not sure which but probably the former. I've always been conscious of where I go to put my foot down since.

That’s not something I’d even have considered. Thanks for the tip!

For what it’s worth, the cold doesn’t bother me, just add on an extra layer to the clothes beneath the outer gear, it’s the ice and stuff where I’d be concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That’s not something I’d even have considered. Thanks for the tip!

For what it’s worth, the cold doesn’t bother me, just add on an extra layer to the clothes beneath the outer gear, it’s the ice and stuff where I’d be concerned.

You can get some good winter tires as well. I don't have them, I just have a lower tire pressure on 2 inch tires. I was out yesterday and came upon a coupla guys in their sixties, stopped because one fell when sliding on some icy leaves on a footbridge. One should definitely avoid slick tires at below freezing temps.

It was minus 4, and minus 9 with the windchill yesterday, and with good outerwear, it was pretty nice. There are fewer folks on the cycling paths, and when I get off the paths onto dirt roads, the usually muddy roads are frozen now, so provide a.better ride.

Chambly, Quebec, Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

LOL, been there.

Also noted an important tip over the summer... I always put my foot down parallel to the bike. However, it's less likely to slip if you position your food more perpendicular to the bike. Small change, but it did seem to make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    You can get some good winter tires as well. I don't have them, I just have a lower tire pressure on 2 inch tires.

Cycling forum >>>> :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

They tend to salt and grit more frequently than us, probably due to better resources and slightly different weather conditions. But I have noticed since the season we ran out of salt that the gritters are out the night before as soon as 0 degrees is forecast, it wasn't as regular as that before.

They've gone way overboard in some councils IMHO since that winter.

Most of my work commute is (was!) on DCC roads, it'd always be noticeable when crossing the 'border' into SDCC with the amount of crap they'd spread on the road

Usually on nights with the temp barely hitting zero or not even reaching it. Also done way too early in the evening when the rush hour traffic would disperse it before the temps dropped.

Complete waste of money, pollutes the environment and corrodes the shít out of bikes! :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

This youtuber was linked on a playlist for new/returning bikers, he runs bike training in the UK. So it can happen to anyone, useful vid on what to do and how to pick up the bike if she does go over

omerin wrote: »
    This youtuber was linked on a playlist for new/returning bikers, he runs bike training in the UK. So it can happen to anyone, useful vid on what to do and how to pick up the bike if she does go over

Tbh. Looking at his vid it's an extremely amateur manevour by what's supposed to be an instructor. He turned in to hard with the steering. Almost looked like he over corrected for speed . Very hard left. Wheel was always going down with that stupidity.

Extremely robotic zero fluidity.

He put less rubber on the road with that action. Inevitable

Under those conditions I was surprised how fast he went into that corner, always much more chance of frost on a side road than a main one.

L-plate on the bike, too! :rolleyes:

If it's one his pupils use he should take it off when he's riding it.

No point L-plates existing if every second vehicle has one. Some particularly stupid cagers have both L and N plates, making their car illegal no matter who is driving it!

Also fuel injection bikes have rollover switches so the engine will cut out when the bike falls. Ye olde carbs don't work on their sides...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Tbh. Looking at his vid it's an extremely amateur manevour by what's supposed to be an instructor. He turned in to hard with the steering. Almost looked like he over corrected for speed . Very hard left. Wheel was always going down with that stupidity.

Extremely robotic zero fluidity.

He put less rubber on the road with that action. Inevitable

I would like to see the video unedited. IMHO he took the corner at a slow enough speed. Its hard to tell when he pauses it.. Strange as it sounds I tend to ride on the frosted surface getting out of the housing estate in the morning. So my tyre is the first contact of that surface. Make sense?

When I arrive home in the evening, I turn the bike so that its nose is facing out toward the road, nearly slipped off trying to reverse it out onto the road shuffling backwards, lesson learnt

He took it pretty slow and there's barely any lean on the bike, you have to get around the corner somehow thiugh. But even if you're going straight and upright on ice the odds are against you on a bike.

Advertisement