Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to wire for RJ45 in new house

• 02-12-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone.

I have recently moved into a new home in which i intend to install IP cameras around along with some other things. The house came with standard RJ11 sockets spread around the house.
    I have had a look behind these wall-plates and i can confirm its cat 5e cable. There are 2
    cat5e cables in each wallplate bar one which is under the stairs. This seems to be an end of line. It looks like the sparkys have daisy chained each RJ11 point together. I had presumed they would be run separate and all cables would end up in the attic which isnt the case to my MAJOR frustration!.
    I hope i can change these RJ11 wallplates to RJ45 wallplates. I do know i need all 4 pairs in each cable but am unsure how 2 cat5e cables are wired together in one RJ45 port, is this possible or do i need some kind of adapter??
    I suppose the bigger question is, is it possible to wire for ethernet when the sparkys have just daisy chained them together and not ran them individually???.
    Any help would be great thanks.!!!

ps i do not use a phone in the house nor do i intend too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hi everyone.

I have recently moved into a new home in which i intend to install IP cameras around along with some other things. The house came with standard RJ11 sockets spread around the house.
    I have had a look behind these wall-plates and i can confirm its cat 5e cable. There are 2
    cat5e cables in each wallplate bar one which is under the stairs. This seems to be an end of line. It looks like the sparkys have daisy chained each RJ11 point together. I had presumed they would be run separate and all cables would end up in the attic which isnt the case to my MAJOR frustration!.
    I hope i can change these RJ11 wallplates to RJ45 wallplates. I do know i need all 4 pairs in each cable but am unsure how 2 cat5e cables are wired together in one RJ45 port, is this possible or do i need some kind of adapter??
    I suppose the bigger question is, is it possible to wire for ethernet when the sparkys have just daisy chained them together and not ran them individually???.
    Any help would be great thanks.!!!

ps i do not use a phone in the house nor do i intend too.

So, basically the sparky installed single line in to multi-room handset telephone wiring using modern cables. Straight out of the 1980s in terms of functionality basically. If they're all daisy-chained, I can't see how you could use them all as rj45 network access points back to a single router.

Lucky for you, there's a new technology that doesn't need wires for networking.. Its called WiFi.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can have a fun time using the existing cable to chase usable cable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

Would probably horrify the proper Network techs on here but if can re-terminate them as RJ45 you could potentially daisy chain switches at each point as long as you don't create any loops. Depending on how many points you have its a lot of hops though and since they would all share the links before them you would want to be getting 1Gbps connections. It also means that any switch malfunctioning takes down all links after it in the chain. You can get 5 port Gb switches for €15-20 each.

Alternatively again assuming the cable is usable for RJ45 if you don't want to chase every point back to a central location, you could maybe do 3 new runs to every 3rd point from the central location. Use 1 run for that point and the other 2 to couple and connect the points immediately before and after in the chain, could save on the amount of chasing of walls that needs to be done.

dam099 wrote: »
    Would probably horrify the proper Network techs on here but if can re-terminate them as RJ45 you could potentially daisy chain switches at each point as long as you don't create any loops. Depending on how many points you have its a lot of hops though and since they would all share the links before them you would want to be getting 1Gbps connections. It also means that any switch malfunctioning takes down all links after it in the chain. You can get 5 port Gb switches for €15-20 each.

Nooooooo!!!!!:eek::eek:

Where would this frankenstein's monster terminate? If they're all daisy-chained, you'd simply be repeating a single port from the router throughout. Single router port = single IP address supported... Yuck!

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Where would this frankenstein's monster terminate? If they're all daisy-chained, you'd simply be repeating a single port from the router throughout. Single router port = single IP address supported... Yuck!

Read what he was suggesting again, a switch at each point would give you n usable ports.
    Single router port = single IP address supported... Yuck!

What? Not sure if thick or drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mikey89ryan

Thanks for the reply's everyone.
    I have been doing some research on it and its amazing the amount of people having this issue, especially with new builds.
    Its killing me i didn't request that all the cables were ran to one location individually. I shouldn't have just assumed!!!.
    Looks like if i really need to get it done i can change the current RJ11 ports to double RJ45 ports ( get rid of the ones i don't really want by putting a coupling on the cable, ie joining it ) and putting a switch at the ports i do want. Its messy but do-able.
    Yes if there is an issue with one cable then the whole network drops down. I really only want the network for cameras so its just a case of getting the signal up to the attic.
    Have the builder on the phone cant wait to have a chat with the sparks but they will of course tell me its not there problem as i didn't make the specific request!

If you need cameras then most of the time wall warts are the last place you'll want to put them, run your own cables to the eaves of the house, front door etc as required. Will cost a bit but leave you with a proper permanent solution.

ED E wrote: »

What? Not sure if thick or drunk.

****ty response! Ever heard of playing the ball and not the man?? Arrogant much???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Where would this frankenstein's monster terminate?... Yuck!
    ****ty response! Ever heard of playing the ball and not the man?? Arrogant much???
    Skipping all technical inconsistency's, i think that would be even
    :D

Skipping all technical inconsistency's, i think that would be even
    :D

Not even close! I commented on the situation the sparky created for the OP, which was an awful piece of wiring in this day and age. I characterised the daisy chained wiring of an RJ45 based network as a frankenstein idea which the OP should avoid at all costs. Granted, I failed to spot the multiple-switch proposal, and was just seeing (wrongly) a single port. At NO stage did I attack the OP. I dismissed the solution, as a genuine response to the OP's request for advice.

Normally, I'd see this kind of to & fro as a storm in a teacup. However, on this one, I have a point to make. When folks ask questions/seek advice in the Broadband forum, others (including me) offer genuine responses. Sometimes we are wrong and have no issue with flawed thinking being pointed out. However, when one poster self- appoints as some kind of supreme oracle and takes license to provide After-Hours type insults, I won't accept it.

If that's how well-intentioned assistance is treated here, I'm out! Let the Oracle rule!

• Advertisement

Not even close! I commented on the situation the sparky created for the OP, which was an awful piece of wiring in this day and age. I characterised the daisy chained wiring of an RJ45 based network as a frankenstein idea which the OP should avoid at all costs. Granted, I failed to spot the multiple-switch proposal, and was just seeing (wrongly) a single port. At NO stage did I attack the OP. I dismissed the solution, as a genuine response to the OP's request for advice.

Normally, I'd see this kind of to & fro as a storm in a teacup. However, on this one, I have a point to make. When folks ask questions/seek advice in the Broadband forum, others (including me) offer genuine responses. Sometimes we are wrong and have no issue with flawed thinking being pointed out. However, when one poster self- appoints as some kind of supreme oracle and takes license to provide After-Hours type insults, I won't accept it.

If that's how well-intentioned assistance is treated here, I'm out! Let the Oracle rule!
    We all, time-to-time, make mistakes, misread or misunderstand posts - lack of coffee or other, unknown reasons. We are human, i hope i am anyway.

To me is not clear if property was intended to be wired for network in each point, more like it was wired to allow phone at each point, with no intention for network(possible known variant). If truth - not a spark fault in that. But we wont know, unless OP confirm or denies this.

Solution suggested by dam099, as he carefully admit it, is ugly and flowed, however, it it possible solution and by the looks of it the only that does not involve rewiring. Other Q if tails are long enough to allow wire termination desired way.

From your comment, my personal opinion and i could be wrong, I sensed "criticism" toward dam099 suggested solution, it just sounded/read that way. If that was not intention - re-post/edit.
    Statements you made in your post re IP's - well, sorry, they don't stand a chance of any defense.

I am glad you found in yourself courage and half-descent way to retreat from awkward situation.

I also glad that ED E (or other) didn't followed up with further "strong" comments - smart move if original post was purely "strong" comment, not intention to insult.

I also hope that THIS could be put down to RIP and we all could concentrate on to the topic.

Solution suggested by dam099, as he carefully admit it, is ugly and flowed, however, it it possible solution and by the looks of it the only that does not involve rewiring. Other Q if tails are long enough to allow wire termination desired way.

From your comment, my personal opinion and i could be wrong, I sensed "criticism" toward dam099 suggested solution, it just sounded/read that way. If that was not intention - re-post/edit.
    Statements you made in your post re IP's - well, sorry, they don't stand a chance of any defense.

You 'sensed "criticism" toward dam099 suggested solution'

Yep! I concurred completely with dam099's OWN statement that s/he was proposing a solution that "would probably horrify the proper Network techs on here".. And I responded with Noooooooo!!!!! with 2 horrified emojis, being fully in agreement with dam099's own preamble. However, while I was 'horrified' at dam's proposal, I made NO comment about dam him/herself. In other words, I kicked **** out of the ball, but not the man.

However, another poster saw fit to offer that my albeit poorly grasped understanding merited an insult that I was 'either thick or drunk'! And THAT'S my issue- pure and simple. If you don't see my point, that's OK. But please dont characterise a personal attack on a poster as simply 'strong comment'. 'Strong comments' can be directed at denigrating the CONTENT of posts but NOT denigrating the authors themselves.

Anyway, I hope the OP gets sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

Yep! I concurred completely with dam099's OWN statement that s/he was proposing a solution that "would probably horrify the proper Network techs on here".. And I responded with Noooooooo!!!!! with 2 horrified emojis, being fully in agreement with dam099's own preamble.

I think (as you seem to have admitted) you misread my proposal, I meant using a switch at every point (which others did pick up on). I too am puzzled about what the reference to single IP address was about (I can only assume maybe you though my suggestion only involved daisy chaining the wiring back to one router port with no switching). I effectively daisy chain myself (only 2 levels though) and have multiple devices with unique IPs many of which ultimately go back to one router port.

e.g. Router Port 2 - Switch 1 - Patch Panel - In wall run - Switch 2 - Devices

My own caveats were to indicate that it wasn't an ideal solution (there seem to be 2 schools of thought on the wisdom of daisy chaining multiple levels of switches) but I believe it was a (somewhat ugly) solution if the OP didn't want to rewire (assuming the wiring can also be re-terminated as needed).

Going back to the OP its mentioned its a new house so not sure if that meant new to the OP or new build. If the latter and not fully decorated yet I would be leaning towards putting in new runs, which may not be that many in the main part of the house as it seems the main use case is IP cameras which as ED E pointed out could be to the eaves (so could possibly be done through the attic, once you get some cables up there from the central point).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could you use the existing daisy chains to wire in APs at each socket, would give you strong WIFI in every room I guess (which can often be an issue in modern houses due to foil backed insulation etc)

dam099 wrote: »
    ... (there seem to be 2 schools of thought on the wisdom of daisy chaining multiple levels of switches) ...
    I think it was more relevant on 10/100 networks and for big ones, as you share one port to all devices above that point - add multiple d-chained switches and you might end-up with enough users to saturate 100Mbps on first switch.
    Parent switch(or link) failure taking all above network down was mentioned already.
    Once we dealing here with domestic environment its not ideal, but less critical. And i yet to see TP-Link ProSafe switch to fail on me - ~10years in service for me

I suppose cost factor of multiple switches vs chasing new cables will play here.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Could you use the existing daisy chains to wire in APs at each socket, would give you strong WIFI in every room I guess (which can often be an issue in modern houses due to foil backed insulation etc)
    I might be mistaking, but if it was wired for phone only, its loop/extension, one pair per point - point1 extended to point2, etc.
    In that instance, best you can achieve would be 2pair for two points = x2 AP's, but only at 100Mbps

@OP
    What means of internet connection you have (planing)?
    How flexible to move is your internet entry point? Where is router located (will be)?

I am leading to, if router can be located at mid-point of this extension loop, adjacent two points woudl able to get full speed without any extra.

Advertisement