Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exempt from Irish

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you not doing it because you have a Department exemption or because you were born elsewhere?
    For NUI colleges, you submit this form (with associated proof): http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/exemption.pdf (.pdf file)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

spurious wrote: »
    Are you not doing it because you have a Department exemption or because you were born elsewhere?
    For NUI colleges, you submit this form (with associated proof): http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/exemption.pdf (.pdf file)

Because I was born elsewhere, so does that mean I should keep them saved.
    I still have a chance to get in one of them, as I am trying to gather all the courses that would interest me and hopefully break them down as time comes.

Thanks for fast reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

You are not exempt from sitting or attending Irish classes you are just exempt for presenting it as a requirement to get a particular course in Irish Universities or ITs, you can present a different subject instead of Irish.

"Candidates who are exempted from Irish may present, as their sixth subject, any other subject accepted for Matriculation Registration purposes"

Source: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs/matricRegs_2015_2016_EN.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

otpmb wrote: »
    You are not exempt from sitting or attending Irish classes you are just exempt for presenting it as a requirement to get a particular course in Irish Universities or ITs, you can present a different subject instead of Irish.

"Candidates who are exempted from Irish may present, as their sixth subject, any other subject accepted for Matriculation Registration purposes"

Source: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs/matricRegs_2015_2016_EN.pdf

Does that rule apply for most colleges or only NUI

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

AFAIK, only NUI universities and NUI recognised colleges require you to pass Irish for matriculation. Others usually need English plus another language or English or Irish.

Which colleges are you thinking of?

• Advertisement

All colleges, National University of Ireland (NUI) oversee the basic running of all colleges in Ireland.

Section 47 of the Universities Act, 1997 provides as follows:

"The Senate of the National University of Ireland shall determine the basic matriculation requirements for the Constituent Universities but each University may prescribe additional requirements generally or in respect of particular faculties of the University.”

All students wishing to enter a degree course in an NUI Constituent University or Recognised College must meet the Matriculation Requirements of the University. These requirements are set out in an information booklet published annually, NUI Matriculation Regulations.

Peregrine wrote: »
    AFAIK, only NUI universities and NUI recognised colleges require you to pass Irish for matriculation. Others usually need English plus another language or English or Irish.

Which colleges are you thinking of?

But if you're exempt from Irish, you don't have to present it for matriculation.

But if you're exempt from Irish, you don't have to present it for matriculation.

Oh, I know. I meant only those colleges require it in the first place.

And yeah, if you were born outside Ireland then they'll exempt you from that requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aperocot

All colleges, National University of Ireland (NUI) oversee the basic running of all colleges in Ireland.

No. NUI has only four constituent colleges, namely UCD, NUIG, UCC and NUIM.

TCD for example requires candidates to present English and maths (or Latin + a second language)

Four constituent universities and a few recognised colleges for which you have to pass the NUI matriculation. RCSI is probably the largest recognised college but there are a few others.

But no, NUI doesn't oversee all colleges in Ireland. TCD, DCU, UL, all the ITs and many other colleges aren't affiliated with NUI.

• Advertisement

aperocot wrote: »
    No. NUI has only four constituent colleges, namely UCD, NUIG, UCC and NUIM.

TCD for example requires candidates to present English and maths (or Latin + a second language)

Oh sorry my mistake, so who does put in place the framework for college entrance in Ireland, the government or the higher education authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Oh sorry my mistake, so who does put in place the framework for college entrance in Ireland, the government or the higher education authority?

Each university / college is responsible for its own matriculation and entry requirements, and any one of them has the power to change these without getting permission from any other authority - government, HEA or anyone else.

They all, however, recognise that it is in everybody's interest to have a coherent system for all, so they co-operate with each other to keep it that way.

They set up a company, called the central applications office (CAO), to centrally process applications to all of the associated institutions, but each of them still has power over its own entry criteria.

The government can, of course, ask them to have a particular policy, but they don't have to agree. For example, in 2010, the Minister called on the universities to accept a grade E in Higher Maths as meeting their general matriculation requirement for maths, but they basically told her to stuff it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 iwillarise

Hi everyone,

I got an exemption from Irish in 2010 and registered it with the CAO.

Im applying for medicine this year and all medicine courses require Irish as part of their minimum entry requirements.

I contacted NUI today and they told me they would inform the CAO of my exemption.

So my question is will the CAO process my application and just discount the requirement for Irish and take another one of my subjects in its stead?

Thank you

Advertisement