Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lumosteph's study log

Options
  • 28-07-2015 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

So after quite a relaxing summer I've decided to start doing a little bit of study before I enter the cataclysm that will be Sixth Year.
    For the next few weeks, I really want to focus on my languages, especially the orals, and English as I'm aiming for the prestigious A1 in that.

My summer results were:
    • English - A1
    • Irish - A1
    • Maths (OL) - C2
    • Business - A2
    • Geography - A1
    • French - was in hospital so I missed written test but got 100% in listening and oral
    • Art - B2

So without counting maths which I won't be counting in the real thing, that all adds up to 555 points. The course I'm aiming for next year is Journalism either in DIT or DCU and the points for that are around 450. Even so I'm aiming for something like my summer results next June, as much for myself to break the 500 mark as for my course.

So I'm hoping this study log will help give a bit of structure to my study and hopefully I'll be updating this 2 or 3 times a week. If anyone reading this has any tips on how best to study any of my subjects feel free to share! Here's hoping it won't be a disaster :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

So today was quite productive! I would like to thank the weather mainly for this as the perpetual rain made it feel like I wasn't even on my summer holidays :rolleyes:

Anyways what I achieved today:

English
    I took out my poetry folder and sorted out all my handwritten notes into the sections Style and Theme because looking at previous exam questions these are basically what they are asking for.
    The poets we studied in Fifth Year were Dickinson, Bishop and Yeats. Today reminded me of how much I despise Yeats so I scrapped all his notes and decided I am going to study T.S Eliot on my own. I read two of his poems earlier and they were quite a challenge the first time but I found they really fascinated me so I can't wait to read more about him!
    I also started to reread Wuthering Heights for the comparative. It's one of my favourite books which is probably a really good thing because I'm the only one in my class studying it. :D

Geography
    I said I wanted to focus on my languages but I took out my Geography notes and compared it with the syllabus and it seems my class are so far behind! So I am going to storm ahead and start Regional Geography tomorrow. If anyone has any tips on where to start on this section do post below! :pac:

Thought I should post here after a couple of days. On Thursday I decided I wanted to make my last month of summer worthwhile so I signed up to be a foster parent at the DSPCA :rolleyes: I should be getting a kitten to foster this week! Wish me luck :D

What I have got done study wise since I last updated:

Geography
    I've almost finished my Regional notes on Ireland and the Paris Basin. Regional Geography seems a lot different to the Physical section. It's coming across as a lot less predictable and you have to be able to adapt to a lot of different questions.

English
    Currently reading TS Eliot's biography that I got from the library.

Art
    This week I started life drawing again, just some quick sketches of faces and bodies. I hope to do an in depth portrait of my brother before I go back. I took out my folder and realised all last year we just focused on still lives and craft so this year should be fun.. :pac:

Got quite a bit done the past 2 days.

English
    I've started making notes on my comparative as I realised like Geography we're a little behind. (Yes I have the same teacher for both..:rolleyes:) The texts we're doing are Wuthering Heights and Death and Nightingales, not sure what the third is yet though I'd say it'll be a film. Just been picking out key moments and relating them back to the CC and GV&V.

French
    Been using Duolingo quite a bit. Also updated my useful phrases hardback using this book called Mot à Mot; it's surprisingly really good. Hope to take out my exam papers this week and do a few reading comprehensions. They are the bane of my existence :o

Geography
    Still doing my Regional notes. Hopefully have India and EU expansion/impact of EU done soon :D

Keep forgetting to update this. I guess since the Leaving Cert results are out this morning I can officially count myself as a Sixth Year :o Good luck to everyone on here btw. Found out the other day we're not starting back until the 1st of September so at least that's something!

What I've been up to:

English
    Finished reading T.S Eliot's bio and Wuthering Heights. Before I go back I hope to take a look at some unseen poetry and maybe do a comparative question.

Geography
    Finished the Regional section.

Art
    Still been practising quick life drawings and sketches. Hope to take out my Art History folder today and sort out what sections I learnt last year. :rolleyes:

And I'm back! My laptop's hard drive awkwardly decided to fail during the last week of summer but now I finally have it sorted :D

So I can't believe I'm in sixth year now! Honestly I'm finding it a little hard to balance homework and study and exercise with every single teacher giving me stuff due for the next day and then expecting me to do 4 hours of study on top of that. Hopefully it'll mellow out soon though.

So my goals for the rest of the week are:

Geography
    Revise Physical essays on Waterfall, Floodplain, Igneous rocks and Dams. I also hope to revise some short questions on OS/map skills.

English
    Currently I'm studying Emily Dickinson and before Monday I really want to start making notes on T.S Eliot plus sort out my King Lear notes.

French
    This weekend I want to record all my oral notes onto my phone and also revise the subjunctive. Got an A- in my first essay today which is a good start I guess. :rolleyes: Also I need to starting making notes on the 'abstract' topics for the oral/written pieces.

Irish
    Need to make notes on Gnathrúd and Oisín i dTír na nÓg asap. I also want to start revising the dreaded sraith pictuir. Tell me again why we have to learn twenty of them? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gk2234

Do you've any useful notes on death and nightingales?

Gk2234 wrote: »
    Do you've any useful notes on death and nightingales?

I'm currently writing up my own notes in relation to the General Vision and Viewpoint. Honestly I would advise you to make your own but if you need help my teacher gave us a sample GV&V answer on the novel if you'd like to see it? There's also some resources on skool.ie if you haven't already read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gk2234

Yeah I have some of my own notes but just not that useful when it comes to answering the question! if I could see the sample answer that would be great!

Keep forgetting I have this!
    Honestly study hasn't been that great since I went back to school. It's not that I'm demotivated but teachers are piling on three hours of homework every night and I'm struggling to find the balance between that and study. Been focusing a lot of my attention on English, French and Business as I really see myself achieving well in these.
    Went to a lecture on King Lear in Trinity last week but it was really a waste of an hour as she only talked about the historical background of the play and how it was published..
    Anyway I shall try to update soon :rolleyes:

No school today so I got up early and did a good bit.

English
    Studied Elizabeth Bishop notes + started an essay on the misogyny in King Lear.

Geography
    Learnt off SRP's on a floodplain + two Regional essays. I'm finding Regional Geography sooo much easier to learn than the Physical section.

French
    Started learning key phrases and vocab about the migrant crisis.

By the end of this week I hope to have another King Lear essay wrote up, revised five or six more Geography essays and learnt more French vocab for the written pieces. :D

• Advertisement

What I achieved this weekend:

Geography
    Revised pretty much all of Physical geography apart from plate tectonics + Learnt the Irish Regional section and started on the Mezzogiorno.

English
    Started making notes on TS Eliot. I decided I'm only going to study four of his poems instead of the usual 5/6 just because of the vast length/depth of his work.

I also went to the UCD open day with my friend. The campus is so huge it was kind of overwhelming.

This coming week I really want to focus on Business and Art History + record some more French oral notes onto my phone. Also pretty sure I'm going to a lecture on Emily Dickinson in Trinity so that should be good.

Got my Pre-mock results!

English 96% (HL)
    Geography 97% (HL)
    French 73% (HL)
    Irish 90% (OL)
    Art 70% (HL)
    Business 84% (HL)

A little update on what I've been doing:

English
    Finished my notes on T.S Eliot. I now have three poets studied in detail (Eliot, Dickinson and Bishop)
    Sorted out all my King Lear notes and it was a struggle to decide what I'm going to focus my study on but finally decided on 5 essays/plans of the different themes etc.

Geography
    Finished revising Physical and Regional Geography.

French
    Been taking one night a week to do grammar. Also been studying useful phrases/words on about 8 topics for the written exam.

Business
    Haven't started any intensive Business study yet. Just been keeping up with classwork and homework.

Art History
    Finally got my act together and wrote up notes for Section 1. Chose the Early Christian Ireland section as opposed to Newgrange/ Bronze age that my class studied last year.

Goals for the rest of tonight:

Finish typing up Lear essay on the theme of madness.
    Revise key words/phrases on the migrant crisis for French.
    Watch the Apprentice and pretend it's study for my Business exam tomorrow.

Hello my old friend...

Have done a considerable amount since I've last updated and since I've gotten my Christmas holidays. Gotten up at 8am most days to begin study as I've found I study better in the mornings. I've been focusing a lot of my time on English (Lear, poets and the comparative) and French (key topics and reading comprehensions) but still doing a good bit in each of my other 5 subjects.

This week I started the free Christmas grinds at Ashfield and they're really something. They've definitely given me the motivation to start doing some intense study for my mocks. :o

Happy New Year everyone! Only 158 days to go...

What I got done today:

English
    Finished learning a particularly broad Cultural Context essay under the headings Gender, Setting and Social Class.

French
    Revised useful phrases and started up vocab for l'environement.

Business
    Revised unit 3 Leading, Motivating and Communicating.

English
    Revised Bishop + added in some quotes critics have written about her

French
    Did first two sections of 2015 listening comprehension

Art History
    Revised stone crosses

English
    Revised T.S Eliot and essay plan on theme of Madness in King Lear.

Irish
    Revised summary for Caca Milis. Need to write out notes for poetry section asap

Business
    Finished revising unit 3.

Got quite a bit done again today. I've honestly settled into such a good study routine and now going back to school on Wednesday is going to mess it all up :rolleyes:

English
    Started learning an essay plan for GV+V. Also revised Dickinson

Irish
    Revised Caca Milis again

French
    Started learning key phrases on Terrorism and also practised a bit of grammar

Art History
    Started learning Celtic Ireland metalwork

English
    Revised essay plans on The Fool and Blindness in King Lear

Irish
    Revised An Gnáthrud and sraith pictuir 1 and 2

Business
    Revised legislative ways of resolving conflict

That was all on top of homework so not a bad first day back!

And I'm back. Honestly, study hasn't been that great since after Christmas. My insomnia has gotten really bad and I'm constantly having to take days off just to study. I'm feeling really unproductive when I'm in school which is really weird but the majority of my teachers this year are really weak and I'm constantly having to go ahead in my subjects. Anyone ever feel like this? I feel like I learn much more when I do independent learning at home.

Anyway I got my mock timetable and it's not too bad. Have English Paper 1 on Monday the 1st and then I don't have Paper 2 until Monday the 8th which is super annoying but other than that it's good.

I'll post later about what I got up to today.

• Advertisement

Why do teachers decide to pile on the homework a week before the Mocks? Definitely got more homework than study done this weekend but what I did achieve:

English
    Essay plan for the misogyny in King Lear + revised style of writing for Paper 1

French
    Useful vocab for the war in the Middle East/Refugee crisis

Geography
    Plate tectonics

Maths
    Calculus and functions somewhat revised

With the Mocks in less than a week, I decided I'd post my goals for each subject.
    My thoughts are bound to change after I complete each exam but for now...

English A2
    French B2
    Irish B1
    Maths D1
    Geography B1
    Business A2
    Art B3

Only 6 days left to go... I'm totally not contemplating taking the rest of the week off just to study...

Irish
    Revised useful seanfhocal to use in essays, also revised Geibheann. Need to get my act together on prós and poetry asap

Business
    Finished off learning Marketing

Maths
    Calculus

Thought I'd update you all on the how the ol' mocks are going. I'll probably take everything back once I get my results but hey :pac:

1st of February
    English and Maths Paper 1. English was beautiful, honestly I couldn't have asked for a nicer paper! Found the comprehension and question B really doable and one of the short story options I was able to manipulate really well into a piece I wrote at the start of the year. Managed to get it all done with 20 minutes to spare. Maths... Let's not talk about Maths.

2nd of February
    OL Irish. Thought the listening was a bit iffy in some places but overall okay. The Blog and Litir options were ridiculously easy and I had them both done in about 25 minutes.

3rd of February
    Business. Such a lovely paper although the ABQ was a bit meh. Knew I should have revised
    Insurance policies
    ! Could only answer 7/8 of the short questions because the remaining 3 were from Unit 7 but apart from that it was so doable and I managed to answer everything fairly well.

Need to get back into the swing of things...
    Took this whole week off basically as the mocks really drained me but I definitely want to do a good bit of oral work and update some notes before I go back on Monday!

Plan:

Geography
    Write up Economic and Geoecology notes. Excited to finish this as it means I'll have the whole course covered.

French
    Oral work! Especially my document

Irish
    Revise Sraith pictuir 1-6

Art History
    Write up notes for Sections 1 and 2. My Art teacher hasn't touched Art History since we came back to school after Christmas so it's slightly worrying

Got some of my mocks back so I thought I'd post them up here:

Business: 83%
    Geography: 85%
    Maths: 42%

Overall not bad so far! Bit disappointed in Business though but my ABQ was quite weak at only 61/80 so I can't complain :D

This week hasn't been that productive. Wrote out a solid study plan but only got round to doing about half of it. I'm not even feeling de-motivated just extremely tired and barely anything is going in when I try and sit down and study. Hopefully I shall prevail next week!

Got some of my mocks back so I thought I'd post them up here:

Business: 83%
    Geography: 85%
    Maths: 42%

Overall not bad so far! Bit disappointed in Business though but my ABQ was quite weak at only 61/80 so I can't complain :D

This week hasn't been that productive. Wrote out a solid study plan but only got round to doing about half of it. I'm not even feeling de-motivated just extremely tired and barely anything is going in when I try and sit down and study. Hopefully I shall prevail next week!

Have all my mock results back now:

English: C1
    Irish: A2
    Maths: D3
    French: A2
    Geography: A2
    Business: B1
    Art: C3

Just some of my thoughts...

English Honestly have no idea what happened with this grade. Went from an A1 in pre-mocks to just under 70%. The corrections for paper 2 were a mess and the corrector gave no indication of how she was marking me, just a random number after each essay...
    I've been feeling so unmotivated in English class recently. My teacher has spent the last THREE WEEKS on an Eliot poem. I know the poem is long and quite difficult but it's getting ridiculous at this stage.

Irish As expected

French The DEB paper was ridiculously easy compared to any exam paper I had done before so my grade was not that surprising. Comprehensions were pretty simple imo, think I got full marks on both. Opinion pieces were lovely with a lot of room to say what you wanted. The only problem I had was the listening. I got 94% in the written exam and despite the listening not being that hard it brought me down like 5%... Need to start doing parts of a listening every night now.

Business A little disappointed. The long questions suited me really well but the ABQ let me down, really need to start focusing on units 3,4,5!

Art My art history exam was a mess so that really brought me down. Need to start practising life drawing in any spare minutes I have.

22/03/16

• Had English grinds at the Institute this morning
    • Listened to French oral on bus
    • Learned SRP's for 3 Geography essays (Colonialism, Globalisation, and Econ vs Environ interests)
    • Did some Statistics questions
    • Looked over a Lear essay on Blindness
    • Revised unit 3 of Business

23/03/16

• Grinds in the Institute this morning. (Made me realise just how atrociously bad my own English teacher is)
    • Had a quick visit into the National Gallery on my way home to revise the Art gallery question
    • Finished revising Lear essay on Blindness
    • Revised Business unit 3
    • Revised Donatello's Mary Magdalene
    • Hoping to get done some more Statistics questions tonight

• Advertisement

04/04/2016

• Revised a whole lot of French oral work. Feeling pretty confident but not so much so when I found out I'm gonna be the second last person doing the oral :o
    • Learned one Dickinson poem + possible opening and ending phrases
    • Wrote out possible Sraith Pictuir questions
    • Revised an hour of algebra
    • Did half a French listening
    • Revised Business unit 1

Advertisement