Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pending claim against named driver

Options
  • 13-08-2019 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

My wife had a small tip in June. Driver assured absolutely fine, no prob, tg no one was hurt etc before going on to claim *sigh*. Anyway my wife has since renewed her insurance with the same company and that's done with no impact to date on no claims etc. My insurance is now due and I have always had my wife as a named driver. As the claim is pending is it up to me to disclose this, should they already know or will I just say nothing? I can just leave her off as she has driving other cars but this will only cover third party.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have to tell if you add her to your policy. Technically you should have informed them at the same time as the crash, when she informed her's, but as she's not the main driver it's not a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You need to disclose it to your insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Surely if the Insured is not naming his wife on his new policy there is no need to inform the Insurer.
    The question asked on the proposal is "Have you, or anybody else named on this proposal, made a claim or have been involved in an accident in the past xx years?" (or similar wording).
    As his wife is not a named driver on the proposal then the obvious answer is No....

Obviously if he takes her off the policy there is no need to declare it, but as she is currently named he must declare it if she stays on cover

Inkers92 wrote: »
    <I can just leave her off as she has driving other cars but this will only cover third party.>
    Obviously if he takes her off the policy there is no need to declare it, but as she is currently named he must declare it if she stays on cover
    He was asking if it is possible to not disclose this to his Insurer (in a legitimate manner). He suggested that by leaving her off the policy this would be possible. Your post simply said that he needs to disclose this to his insurer. That information was totally misleading.

• Advertisement

The OP's current situation is that she is named, so it needs to be disclosed, he mentioned the option of removing her, in which case he doesn't. I think the less pedantic among us got that point

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I was in a similar situation, i just went open driving so didn't need to name anyone

I was in a similar situation, i just went open driving so didn't need to name anyone

You need to look at the assumptions and policy document relating to drivers with accidents and convictions, even on open driving policies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

You could look into open driving. It's cheaper for me to have open driving than name my father and mother and GF on the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to look at the assumptions and policy document relating to drivers with accidents and convictions, even on open driving policies

Where other (unnnamed) drivers are covered on your policy, other than holding or having held a licence and not being disqualified, I've never seen a condition that would prevent someone with a record of accidents or convictions from driving and being covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I can just leave her off as she has driving other cars but this will only cover third party.

Be careful with this as she may not be covered on your car under her own policy. There is sometimes a condition that the driving other cars extension does not cover you on your spouse's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

db wrote: »
    Be careful with this as she may not be covered on your car under her own policy. There is sometimes a condition that the driving other cars extension does not cover you on your spouse's car.

+1 Liberty have this condition - their motor policy will not cover you to drive your spouse's car.....

Driving other cars

If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving any other private motor car which you do not own or have not hired under a hire-purchase or lease agreement,
    as long as:

1. the other car is not owned by your spouse / common law partner or employer or hired to them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;

P. 17.. https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/system/files/2019-04/private-vehicle-policy-booklet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Thanks for the replies - good information to know. Wow, you could really get caught out on the driving spouse's car clause.
    I have received a very competitive quote from my insurer without naming her as a driver. However, I wanted to price both to see what the difference would be. I just bought a new car so don't really want to be only covered on a third party basis anyway. However, they said to give me a quote for her I would need to know when the accident happened, how much was paid out, if it's open etc. - will they even give my wife this info? She said that the have told her that the claimant only claimed for car damage and this has been settled but that the claim remains open in case she later claims for injury or something.
    What exactly do I need to provide them with? Do they not have some sort of central claims database or something. Wife is away and I'm guessing they won't give me any details on her account due to data protection. He said I just need to know the info, don't need it on a document or anything.
    I must look into the open driving more - never knew about it before, but would the same problem not exist in that I would have to give them the details if she was going to be driving the car.

The OP's current situation is that she is named, so it needs to be disclosed, he mentioned the option of removing her, in which case he doesn't. I think the less pedantic among us got that point

It's far from pedantic.
    You stated "he needs to disclose this"......
    I said he doesn't if he's taking her off the policy....which is totally factual.

Please stop giving out totally misleading information.
    You have done it again with your post relating to 'open driving'. Even another of the "normally supporting Insurers" people pulled you on that one ;)

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Please stop giving out totally misleading information.
    You have done it again with your post relating to 'open driving'. Even another of the "normally supporting Insurers" people pulled you on that one ;)

With regard to my post on open driving, I said "you need to look at assumptions and policy documents" This is correct prudent advice. Not all insurers have the same criteria

Pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the replies - good information to know. Wow, you could really get caught out on the driving spouse's car clause.
    I have received a very competitive quote from my insurer without naming her as a driver. However, I wanted to price both to see what the difference would be. I just bought a new car so don't really want to be only covered on a third party basis anyway. However, they said to give me a quote for her I would need to know when the accident happened, how much was paid out, if it's open etc. - will they even give my wife this info? She said that the have told her that the claimant only claimed for car damage and this has been settled but that the claim remains open in case she later claims for injury or something.
    What exactly do I need to provide them with? Do they not have some sort of central claims database or something. Wife is away and I'm guessing they won't give me any details on her account due to data protection. He said I just need to know the info, don't need it on a document or anything.
    I must look into the open driving more - never knew about it before, but would the same problem not exist in that I would have to give them the details if she was going to be driving the car.

Your wife should be able to get this off her insurance company. If they start playing up then make a request under GDPR for all the information they have on her and it'll be in that

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Just to update this for others - informed insurance company added wife as named driver giving them the claim details etc and it had no impact on my policy, quote remained the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement