Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Pulse - why is it still around?

• 29-12-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭

Was listening to RTE Pulse the other day, and a promo came on where they were advertising that they were on Saorview, DAB and... UPC!

Yep, they actually mentioned UPC. A cable provider that changed it's name over 3 years ago. This evening I checked out their online listener stats... they have 10 concurrent listeners. Their social media accounts have recent posts, but they receive very low interactions.

This station needs a major overhaul or it should be culled to save RTE a few Euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

All those digital stations seem to exist just to give a few idle RTE lifers something to do. How many listen to Rick O Shea daily on Gold? My guess is very few, probably in the low hundreds, yet he's earning a minimum of 70k a year for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Nothing more than to give Lottie Ryan and Miriam O’Callahans kids something to do before they get a placement within RTE2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Just like community radio...The RTE digital radio stations are an excellent alternative to the dross commercial stations out there. Many of the RTE digital presenters do their programmes for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Jay Zee wrote: »
    All those digital stations seem to exist just to give a few idle RTE lifers something to do. How many listen to Rick O Shea daily on Gold? My guess is very few, probably in the low hundreds, yet he's earning a minimum of 70k a year for it.

Rick O Shea has around 4,000 listeners to his show on RTE Gold

And the RTE Secret Producer said Rick was earning 100k every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I listen to pulse quite a bit during. Mo K is decent and the other playlisted stuff is a welcome break from listening to anne-marie 2002 ot that other 1999 song that seem to be on loop elsewhere. However, it could do SO much better. Needs someone in there to focus on it and push it forward. Shame really. Wouldnt take much except 1 day a week to refresh playlists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

gamecube wrote: »
    Rick O Shea has around 4,000 listeners to his show on RTE Gold

And the RTE Secret Producer said Rick was earning 100k every year!

Rick is obviously permanent, along with Will Leahy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

However did they both end up with such a golden goose deal, it's unheard of normally for 2fm djs to be made permanent RTE staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Pulse is just playing the 2FM playlists slightly modified
    It’s not a dance station by any means. It’s just pop singers’ back catalogyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I would agree with what the RTE Secret Producer said on twitter

People like Rick O Shea & Will Leahy should not be getting paid huge sums of money when other people on RTE's digital stations get paid nothing!

As she/he said.....older dj's get to hang around as producers for radio shows on 2fm while still getting big payout's, people like Michael Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Robocop Corcoran

I still listen to it, good shows at the weekend. Roger Sanchez, Dave Clarke among others. I know these are easily accessed online, but its handy to have the channel on the sat box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I listen to RTE pulse every day. I retrofitted DAB to 2 of my cars just to listen to it.

The production value can be a bit iffy with songs changed a few seconds in and silent patches but overall its a great station.

No Ads, Great audio quality for radio and theres some good songs.

Mo Kay's show from 9-12 in the morning is some great rush hour relief from the usual stuff other stations pump out

They had a brilliant show a while ago breaking down production and beat styles and the samples used in hip hop tracks.

Advertisement