Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many 40ish year old djs 2fm

Options
  • 26-12-2018 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Keith Walsh, Bernard O'Shea Jennifer McGuire, Nicky Byrne, Jenny Green, Tracy Clifford, Louise McSharry and Dan Hegarty, How long more will the youth of Ireland have to endure those old codgers on the national youth station? When are djs in their 20s and early 30s going to get promoted? Back in 79 the majority of 2fm djs were under 25 years of age.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Jay Zee wrote: »
    Keith Walsh, Bernard O'Shea Jennifer McGuire, Nicky Byrne, Jenny Green, Tracy Clifford, Louise McSharry and Dan Hegarty, How long more will the youth of Ireland have to endure those old codgers on the national youth station? When are djs in their 20s and early 30s going to get promoted? Back in 79 the majority of 2fm djs were under 25 years of age.

I'm 43. My generation grew up going to raves, etc. You never hear any good dance tunes being played on 2fm or any other mainstream stations.

It doesn't matter what age they are. They get told what to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'm 43. My generation grew up going to raves, etc. You never hear any good dance tunes being played on 2fm or any other mainstream stations.

Yes 2fm should have new dance music on from 4pm on Saturday evening like BBC R1, instead they have a pensioner in his 80s playing the Pussycat dolls on a show called the golden hour:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

What is it you're after?

Music, or solely the unparalleled wit and entertainment of NB and Co?:pac:

A bit of both I'd imagine.

Switch the dial I'd say or go online - 8Radio is decent for music and there are DJ slots at the weekend, but not in the mould of the above.

Those gimps will never relinquish their positions so it'd be best to move away from hoping it'll change.

Good to see you wanting younger DJs - with you a listener since the late 70s - but 2FM is gonna be staid and unmoving in mixing things up any time soon. And even if they were younger, it'd be pretty much the same thing on that station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's very hard (and highly illegal) to fire your staff when they turn 40 or get a few wrinkles.

For some reason people seem to think that employment equality law shouldn't apply in the broadcast media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

40 is the new 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Mcsharry is much younger than 40

McSharry is as out of touch with the under 30s as Dave fanning is.

McSharry is as out of touch with the under 30s as Dave fanning is.

The new generation of 2FM "DJs" haven't a clue about music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

And the same with the Today FM ones. Hence why daytime shows are more talk oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

LOL, Dan Healey is in his 50s and Paul Russel is in his 60s and they run 2fm, and between them they call the shots.. The DJs just do what theyre told with what theyre given... The likes of Dan Hegarty and Louise are not playlisted as far as I can tell but thats an exception. Take it up with management , they will be there for another decade at least.

• Advertisement

telecinesk wrote: »
    LOL, Dan Healey is in his 50s and Paul Russel is in his 60s and they run 2fm, and between them they call the shots.. The DJs just do what theyre told with what theyre given... The likes of Dan Hegarty and Louise are not playlisted as far as I can tell but thats an exception. Take it up with management , they will be there for another decade at least.
    Yes it's easy to tell that 2fm is ran by a pair of old farts, they put an r&b/hip-hop show on Saturday nights sandwiched between two dance shows.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Sorry but Tracy Clifford spent most of her radio life at youth stations. She knows exactly what she’s supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

"they put an r&b/hip-hop show on Saturday nights " , well thats a thread on its own, only its clear the weekend slots are misguided.. back to management...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

These old codgers are better off playing to people who appreciate DJs who can play a great set.
    Put any old school DJ on stage with a mixer and two turntables, some 12 inches or a modern set up, you'll see the old school DJs can put on a better show than the new DJs, who more than likely need a computer to match bpm's

Nothing like the crisp crackling sounds coming off vinyl from a pair of technics....

The new sound is ok but doesn't match the raw clang of the old school set up....

Dj'ing is an art.

nthclare wrote: »
    These old codgers are better off playing to people who appreciate DJs who can play a great set.
    Put any old school DJ on stage with a mixer and two turntables, some 12 inches or a modern set up, you'll see the old school DJs can put on a better show than the new DJs, who more than likely need a computer to match bpm's

Nothing like the crisp crackling sounds coming off vinyl from a pair of technics....

The new sound is ok but doesn't match the raw clang of the old school set up....

Dj'ing is an art.

Mr Spring (Tim Hannigan) is looking after the dance output on 2FM. He is an experienced DJ for the past 35 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mr Spring (Tim Hannigan) is looking after the dance output on 2FM. He is an experienced DJ for the past 35 years.

exactly. jenny green would know her dance music and is an experienced dj in her own right also.
    in saying that, they need to go back to output along the lines of the early 2000s. broadcasts from festivals and the sessions tours etc. that's where and when 2fm's dance output really came into it's own. i know it won't happen but it's what should be happening.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

pablo128 wrote: »

Yes 2fm should have new dance music on from 4pm on Saturday evening like BBC R1, instead they have a pensioner in his 80s playing the Pussycat dolls on a show called the golden hour:rolleyes:
    Is Larry still going?!

exactly. jenny green would know her dance music and is an experienced dj in her own right also.
    in saying that, they need to go back to output along the lines of the early 2000s. broadcasts from festivals and the sessions tours etc. that's where and when 2fm's dance output really came into it's own. i know it won't happen but it's what should be happening.
    The problem is Jenny greens dance output is stuck in 1998, if this were the UK her electric disco would be on Radio 2 not Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭prunudo

The problem is Jenny greens dance output is stuck in 1998, if this were the UK her electric disco would be on Radio 2 not Radio 1.

Before Jenny went to day time she used to have a friday night show where she played good and more current dance music.
    Has Bryan Kearney ever had any of his tracks played on Irish radio or is that beyond the reach of 2fm's young and hip listeners.

We're living in a strange time though, where like, people spend the rest of their lives living out their idea of what they thought was cool when they were 20, and kind of become these tragic caricatures when they're in their 40s and 50s, so expect 2fm to remain sh1te, and Jenny Greene to still be banging out 90s dance music until she's 70..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

No one listens to radio music other than a background distraction these days. You swear it was the 1940s and people still crowded around the wireless. Modern ways to stream music make the DJ song lottery obsolete. Plus all those radio clowns couldn't care less what ****e they play as long as they get their inflated wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭prunudo

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    No one listens to radio music other than a background distraction these days. You swear it was the 1940s and people still crowded around the wireless. Modern ways to stream music make the DJ song lottery obsolete. Plus all those radio clowns couldn't care less what ****e they play as long as they get their inflated wages.

I don't know, I think there is a market for old style of dj'ing. Planetrock in the UK is a good example of this, play songs in their remit, keep the chat relevant with news and ads when needed.
    The problem with Irish stations is that the presenters play ****e music, try and cater to too many genres, audience's and have resorted to talking about the latest hilariously unfunny tweet or social media event to create content.

But I do agree that radio is now just filler in the back ground. I think this distorts the 'real' listenership figures and probably contributes to what the station managers think the style of programme people want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'm in my 40s and I think Radio 2 lays down some banging tunes on my wireless. The OP sounds a bit square

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

she actually does play some new music on the electric disco these days. and i'd imagine when she is djying out she is playing mostly new music only. the format of the electric disco is to play music from across the decades from the 90s to now. originally it was mostly a 90s dance show.
    We're living in a strange time though, where like, people spend the rest of their lives living out their idea of what they thought was cool when they were 20, and kind of become these tragic caricatures when they're in their 40s and 50s, so expect 2fm to remain sh1te, and Jenny Greene to still be banging out 90s dance music until she's 70..

maybe 1 or 2 people are like that but it's not anywhere near an amount that can be considered an issue.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

While there is a LOT wrong with 2FM (like no coverage of most music genres and over-emphasis on only the now), I believe age has nothing to do with it. Agism like misogyny, racism and sectarianism are the easy classification criteria of the Gilead types and the like who say only a certain type of person can do something good while others cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

touch of the green eyed monster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

People get old time goes on most of these where under forty when they started 5 years ago. Many weren’t heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i dont think people in their 20s would ve any better. it comes down to the individual imo.
    now, larry gogan, he's cool no matter what age:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

If they were to be really cool, go back to the 1950s. Rock 'n' roll and real R&B.

Advertisement