Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Log

Options
  • 14-07-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Going to get more serious with logging my training via boards.ie for the foreseeable future. I am running a modified texas method programme known as the "big texas method" available from JTStrength. It was created by chad wesley smith with the goal of adding more volume on top of the traditional TM (which runs a volume day of 5x5). I am already a few weeks so will be logging from an advanced state. http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/01/31/cowboy-method/ you can see it here, it only costs 3 dollars and proceeds go to charity if anyone is interested in following it.

While the programme calls only for squats and core work, I still want to keep up the bench presssing, deadlifts and ohp as i feel I am still a novice in each of the four lifts. I will also train 4 days a week as opposed to three because I am continuing to do the other core lifts. Monday will be bench and squat volume with supplement exercises, tuesday will be some form of exercise for the traps and yoke usually be farmers walk or power shrug with some back work such as bb rows and pull ups. Wednesday will be front squat light day, over head press day and light supplemntary exercises. Thursday will be the money maker day (intensity) where I will be attempting a new 10 rm for as far as I can push it before moving down to 8rm, 5rm and if I get advanced enough I will program in 3rm.

Beggining stats - 84 kg Body weight. Not sure what my 1rm are on the lifts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Volume day will be every sunday. I will try to keep these squat sets beltless.

Squat - 120 3 x 10. Felt very easy and should bode well for a nice intensity day.

Bench press - 97 2 x 5. failed on the third set.

Bicep Curl - 3 sets of 10.

I am thinking I may place a greater powerlifting emphasis on the TM and bench every week, reducing the OHP to a single day once a week. I feel i need more time under the bar to reinforce my technique. Saying that my bench has been increasing every workout under the standard 3x5 starting strength protocols and when I hit 95 3 x5 it felt very easy. I will repeat 97 again on my intensity day and try to up the eating and sleep before hand.

Volume day of week 3 completed ;).

Today is the extra fourth day I have added to the big Tnexas method, although I need to be careful as to not interupt my intensity day. As such this day is not considered to be too essential to my training and can dropped at any moment.

Farmers walks - 125kg, literally just holding a trap bar and walking. First set was walking until my hands started to pain me and the distance was 10m back and forward. Set 2 was 10m walks, let bar down and walk back and repeat for 8 laps.

Barbell Rows Pendlay style - worked up to 100 x 3 and used straps as my hands were shredded after the walks.

Dumbell rows - worked up to 40kg x 8 left and right.

Front squat - worked up to 105 x 3.

Over head press - 40 x 5, 50x 5, 60x3, 62x3. 50 x8

Pull ups - 2 x 8

Face pulls 3 x 10

side lateral raises 3 x 8

Squat 140 x 10. New pr :)

Bench 3x3 97.... Not a happy camper

Deadlifts 170 x 5

💪💪

Did not sleep until half 1 last night as I was designated driver, woke up at half 8 but the nectar of the gods Cofee + Coconut OIL saved my ass.

Squats 110 5 x 8 . damn tired by set 5[/B][/B]

Bench press 85 5 x 5 [/B

various sets of pull ups.

• Advertisement

Quite tired today, decided to use this assistance day to work on lagging body parts namely the shoulders.

Weighted Dips 3 x 5 w/ 20kg

side lateral raises 8kg 3 x 10

Shoulder front raise - 100 reps in total with 10kg plate

Various sets of pull ups.

Front squat - 50 x 5, 70 x 3, 80 x 3, 90 x 3 ( all sets paused), 100 x 2, 110 x 1.

Overhead press[/B] - 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 3, 55x 2, 57.5 x5, 50 x 2 x 5

Thursday - squat 145 x 5

Bench 90kg x 5

No deadlifts

Stomach bug set me back.

Sunday 27-07-2014

Squat 118kg 4 x 8

Bench 85kg 5x5

Extremely busy with over time this week. Training put on back burner. Skipped light day.

Assistance day - 140kg farmer walk x lots leads to sore traps

DB rows and chin ups

Intensity day

Squat 150 x 5

Deadlifts 173 x3

Bench 92 x 5 easy

Shrugs and curls

Volume day

Squat - 130 3 x 8

Bench 85 5x5 * 92 x 5 last intensity day felt easy, may be able to up the bench for a while longer without changing the volume recipe.

Elevated stiff legs 100 x 5 * added to help strengthen the hamstrings as I scale back deadlifts to a top set of 3.

Over- all a good workout

• Advertisement

High bar Squat - 105 2 x 5 (paused)

Over head press - 60kg 3 x 5 felt good and fast, although my grip was poor on the final set.

Curlz

Squat 153 x 5.

Deadlift 175 x 3 . slow bar speed/felt very heavy. Thinking of applying a rack pull/halting deadlift alternating every week.

Bench 95 x 4. Might drop bench to triples to try progress into the 100s.

Bodyweight 13.5 stone .

Took last week off.

volume day 17-08-2014. Squat 125 5x5

Bench 87 3 x 5

elevated stiff legs 3 sets of 8

Trying deadlifts on the day after volume day. Its probably not high enough to cause to much stress at the moment.

Deadlift - 130 x 10, 150 x 7, 160 x3 and 180 x1

Chin ups

Rows

Squat 145 5x5 . beltless for set 3-5 belt on set 4 and 5.

Rdls 75 3x5 .

Some curls

Dragged my ass out of the gym.

Bench press 5x5 92 kg

Power shrugs worked up to 150x5 .

Weighted pull ups 3x5 + 11kg

Pendlay rows 87kg 2x5

Monday 10-11-2014

Front squat 100kg x 3

Ohp 55kg 3 x 5

Curls.

Wednesday 12-11-2014

Back squat 155 x 5

Bench 102.5 kg x 7 (8th rep the spotter touched it)

Deadlift 170 x 3 then 150 x 5 beltless.

Dips 3x10 body weight. ( wanted to so weighted but forgot the dipping belt).

Saturday 15-nov-2014

Squat 147 5x5

Rdl 3x5 80kg

Sunday 15 Nov 2014

Bench press 95 5x5 . tough but doable.

Weights chins 2 x5 plus 15kg.

Pendlay row 90kg 3x5 .

Power shrugs worked up to 155 kg for 5.

Advertisement