Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Game on sports program on 2fm ?

• 20-02-2014 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Surely it would be better suited to RTE Radio one ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

dr Golden wrote: »
    Surely it would be better suited to RTE Radio one ?

Or Long Wave 252

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I cant believe they have left this on the schedule. Surely could broadcast it on RNaG or LW 252.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Sports program aimed at a young audience would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The 1-hour sports show is fine but the live commentary on CL and Rugby matches is a bit ludicrous. Anyone with an interest in the match (including myself!) will be watching it on the telly or following score updates on the web or whatever. It sounds very out of place on a "music" station. Occasional score updates from "the pitch side reporter" at the match in question would work better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stephenireland

Agree 2 Fm is destroying itself by having a poor commentary- obviously tube commentary for over 90 minutes on a Champion's league game.

Look those that want to watch the game will see it on TV.

Those who follow it on Radio will be listening on the excellent Radio Five Live.

does anyone in 2FM know how to run a young peoples radio station.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

Surprised this survived the rebrand, it's very much a relic of the John McMahon era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I actually enjoy the show, but I would agree that perhaps it doesn't belong on RTE2 FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

NIMAN wrote: »
    I actually enjoy the show, but I would agree that perhaps it doesn't belong on RTE2 FM.

I also enjoy it and find myself staying in the kitchen until 8 listening to it when before I'd have retired to the sitting room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 4 band radio

I see that the irish euro matches are on Radio 1 this year not 2fm like in 2012, Did the 2fm and sport fad die before it ever took off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭School Socks

A women's rugby match is broadcasting on the national pop music station right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

This evening RTE radio 1 also had sport on while game on was on 2fm

Game on isnt too bad. Its the other shows that i would question their existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The reason is Off The Ball. It is the only radio show on commercial radio that beats RTE Radio 1 in any time slot. RTE originally put a sports show on Radio 1 up against it, that didn't work, so they switched to 2fm. That hasn't worked either. Game On has 20,000+ listeners, OTB 50,000+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

Come to think about it an number of 7pm shows on RTE radio could/should be on other stations, Game on could be on Radio 1, Arena Could be on Lyric, Dan Hegarty could host the Mystery Train

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ahwell wrote: »
    The reason is Off The Ball. It is the only radio show on commercial radio that beats RTE Radio 1 in any time slot. RTE originally put a sports show on Radio 1 up against it, that didn't work, so they switched to 2fm. That hasn't worked either. Game On has 20,000+ listeners, OTB 50,000+.

Over what time frame?

Per show or per hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Over what time frame?

Per show or per hour?

I think it's the average ¼ hour audience of the show. but I'm sure there are people who post on here who know more about this than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Don Duck

They never reinstated the second hour of the show after it was cut back in march due to all sports cancelled due to covid. 3 presenters for a 1 hour show is very ott but this is RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Don Duck wrote: »
    They never reinstated the second hour of the show after it was cut back in march due to all sports cancelled due to covid. 3 presenters for a 1 hour show is very ott but this is RTE.

2 celebrities in O’Callaghan and Walsh plus Marie Crowe. “Donners” also with some kids tv gig. Were the salaries halved when the second hour was scrapped??

Don Duck wrote: »

the previous presenters were far superior than the "celebrity" sports people. whose decision was it to replace hugh cahill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Don Duck

whose decision was it to replace hugh cahill?

Probably Jim Jennings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

Am I the only one who feels this has drifted into mainly a rugby show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Riodej1578 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who feels this has drifted into mainly a rugby show?
    Sounds like "Donners" pulls in a few favours from some old mates from his playing days who appear on the show. Plenty of rugby alright but not to the exclusion of other sports, lots of soccer as well. Program is a square peg in a round hole on 2FM though. They did a feature on club rugby and the All Ireland League a couple of weeks ago, just don't see how many 2FM listeners would be following club rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I actually quite enjoy game on, do think Donnacha drags the rugby up a lot but not an issue for me as a fan.

I have enjoyed it for years, maybe mix up the panel a bit more would help keep it fresh.

I like it a lot also. It was much better with the previous presenters but it has improved again I feel.

It does feel Donnacha goes OTT on the rugby though. Last 3 days almost the first topic of conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think it is because it has a sponsor. Same goes for Sports bulletins on the channel after 7pm and no news bulletins. Supposedly the reason they got rid of their news bulletins was because those listening get there news from other sources including the RTÉ News App. and they are listening to music on 2FM!

That does not work for sport, though sport has a sponsor!

No need for 3 presenters.

Elmo wrote: »
    I think it is because it has a sponsor. Same goes for Sports bulletins on the channel after 7pm and no news bulletins. Supposedly the reason they got rid of their news bulletins was because those listening get there news from other sources including the RTÉ News App. and they are listening to music on 2FM!

That does not work for sport, though sport has a sponsor!

No need for 3 presenters.

3 way too many.

Advertisement