Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance

Options
  • 21-08-2019 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, I have car insurance with Aviva this past 3 years. I have 7 months left on my policy.
    I recently bought a van and contacted Aviva to notify them. They said they dont cover vans. Got van insurance from insuremyvan.ie. What I want to know is will Aviva refund me for the 7 months if I cancel the policy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Surely this is a question that should be directed at Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Usually they will give you a refund, but less a fairly significant cancellation/administration fee...
    Incidentally your no claims bonus doesn't cross from a car policy to a commercial pollicy , but any claim you might have would....
    The last time I changed my insurance company,
    The underwriter wanted my vat number as proof that I wasn't using a commercial for private use..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ketlou

Markcheese wrote: »
    Usually they will give you a refund, but less a fairly significant cancellation/administration fee...
    Incidentally your no claims bonus doesn't cross from a car policy to a commercial pollicy , but any claim you might have would....
    The last time I changed my insurance company,
    The underwriter wanted my vat number as proof that I wasn't using a commercial for private use..

I am using the van for private use.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Assuming you got rid of the car (on the basis that you're talking about cancelling the Aviva policy), you can cancel the policy by returning the cert and disc. They will give you a pro rata refund, minus an 'admin fee'.

If you're holding on to the car, the van policy will probably not cover you because (1) it's a van policy only and (2) the 'driving other cars' part of every policy excludes cover for vehicles owned by you.

Advertisement