Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So i got rearended

Options
  • 20-08-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭

On my way home from work last tuesday I was rearended while stopped at a red light. I've just lodged the claim with their insurer. I got an estimate from my own garage for the repair. It came to €2700. My car is probably not worth much more from that. I'm expecting to say that my car is not worth repairing and they want to write it off. I want my car repaired. Can i insist on that? What are my options if they want to do things that are not acceptable to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You do not have an absolute right to have it repaired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If your car is a write off according to them, and they pay you more than it costs to repair surely the solution is right in front of you. Take the cheque and pay for it to be repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,480 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You will get a cheque from the insurer
    Generally you will be able to buy the car back from them (once they issue the cheque the car/wreck is their property) and repair it, once it's not deemed a cat A or cat b

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CramCycle wrote: »
    If your car is a write off according to them, and they pay you more than it costs to repair surely the solution is right in front of you. Take the cheque and pay for it to be repaired?

I'm not sure i mentioned anything about paying me more than it costs to repair. Any repair they do will be done through my garage and they will pay them direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

coylemj wrote: »
    You do not have an absolute right to have it repaired.

so what rights do i have?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's a write off you are entitled to the value of your car pre accident.

Personal injuries are a completely different issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not sure i mentioned anything about paying me more than it costs to repair. Any repair they do will be done through my garage and they will pay them direct.

I meant that if they pay you the value of the car,which is more than the cost of repairs, you might be able to get it back and pay for the repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,480 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As i said above...
    ELM327 wrote: »
    You will get a cheque from the insurer
    Generally you will be able to buy the car back from them (once they issue the cheque the car/wreck is their property) and repair it, once it's not deemed a cat A or cat b

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Any repair they do will be done through my garage ...........

That will only happen if they accept your garage's estimate. They may get an assessor to inspect the car. Who may declare that the estimate is excessive.
    ..... and they will pay them direct.

The insurance company will not engage your garage to fix the car. If they do, they leave themselves open to the standard scam whereby in the course of the repair, the garage 'discovers' new faults in (e.g.) the steering which will double the repair bill.

If the insurance accepts the estimate and it is less than the street value of the car, they will give you a cheque for that amount and that will be the end of it.

But if they judge the cost of repair is more than the street value of the car, they will declare it a write-off. At that stage you have two options...... (1) take the money and let them sell the car for scrap (2) accept a lower amount to keep the car (option 1 but you 'buy back' the car) and you pay to put it back on the road again.

Advertisement