Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garrage with no planning

Options
  • 16-07-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

We are sale agreed on a property, its an 1800's terrace. To the rear of this property and other properties on the terrace there is a garage. I have searched the relevant CoCo for planning but there is none listed for any of the properties on the terrace.

In your experience could these be permitted? or was it just a case of the terrace folk just sticking them up and hoping for the best? There is rear pedestrian access also but I want to ensure that the garage can A, stay in place and B not cause an issue for the purchase.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is your lawyer saying?
    maybe the garages pre-date the Republic so ask Lizzie

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

We are still waiting on contracts, solicitor says these should all be included with them. I am really just looking for people with experience of a similar situation and what to expect. Our timelines are already tight!!

Who is Lizzie? Excuse my ignorance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

How old is the garage? If it is pre-1965 (IIRC) it is probably alright, as planning permission laws were only introduced then. Someone with greater knowledge of planning law may know more. If it is more recent it almost certainly requires PP unless it is under a certain size and qualifies for an exempt development.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We are sale agreed on a property, its an 1800's terrace. To the rear of this property and other properties on the terrace there is a garage. I have searched the relevant CoCo for planning but there is none listed for any of the properties on the terrace.

In your experience could these be permitted? or was it just a case of the terrace folk just sticking them up and hoping for the best? There is rear pedestrian access also but I want to ensure that the garage can A, stay in place and B not cause an issue for the purchase.

Any thoughts?

Your survey should highlight it, and let the vendor provide the documentation. You wont find this info on the Councils websites, you may have to do the search at the public counter as they have more records on file in there that are not online in the planning search facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

Zzippy wrote: »
    How old is the garage? If it is pre-1965 (IIRC) it is probably alright, as planning permission laws were only introduced then. Someone with greater knowledge of planning law may know more. If it is more recent it almost certainly requires PP unless it is under a certain size and qualifies for an exempt development.

Not sure about the age of the garage. Or the size as we didn't measure it out. Engineer said that he will highlight it in the report. It could well be there for a long time. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

kceire wrote: »
    Your survey should highlight it, and let the vendor provide the documentation. You wont find this info on the Councils websites, you may have to do the search at the public counter as they have more records on file in there that are not online in the planning search facility.

So it would seem, although there are some quite old records on the council website. There is no mention of any of the terrace bar one set of planning that was refused this year. I'll have to leave it up to the solicitors.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement