Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

And when I come in cold and tired Its good to warm my bones beside the fire. :)

Breathe, breathe in the air .... get a lungful of carcinogenics and lung cancer right down there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i have a stove insert , maybe im just lacking but it takes a blooming long time to light the thing , usually fails the first time regardless of how many firelighters i use

We have a stove insert and it’s a breeze to light. 1-2 firefighters a couple of smaller sticks and off she goes. Throw a few more larger sticks in and close the bottom vent a bit. once there is a layer of red hot embers throw in larger logs and close the bottom vent completely.

It's in our dna. Hardwired into us from countless generations, going all the way back to the caves (ok, that's not long ago for Donegal folk, but for the rest of us we're talking a looooong way back).

With TV, phone, tablets etc, not many people today experience the true magic of sitting by an open fire.

Switch off the telly and the lights. Put your phone away. Sit alone and appreciate the warmth and glow of a real open fire for half an hour. Just sit and stare at it.

It's a beautiful thing. A connection to something mysterious, transient, fragile and yet powerful and everlasting. What is fire really? It's not easy to define. It's a process, an energy. Perhaps deep down in our psyche it reminds us of what we were and what we will one day become. Maybe it gives us hope. Matter/energy can neither be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

Also, you can't beat spitting into an open fire. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Will never give up my open fire. **** anything but a real fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

I do like them yes but i havent had an open fire in the house for over 5 years now and dont personally miss it and got on with life without one grand and havent froze to death in the winter months.

hauling in filthy bloody dirty coal from the freezing cold outside , cleaning out the grate dust everywhere, having to get the chimney cleaned once or twice a year, uncontrollable, hard to light most times, filthy stinking smoke blowed back into the room if the wind is blowing the wrong way, most of the heat going up the chimney and sparks off the coal spitting out onto the floor potentially causing a house fire - no thanks to all of that I have opted for cleaner modern fuel which heats up the rads and hot water at the flick of a switch.

so anyway, yesterday the local radio station said on their facebook page:

"We Irish need to stop lighting fires in our homes.
    That's according to Dr Michael O'Dwyer of the Environmental Protection Agency, who says cosy fires in the winter need to become a thing of the past.
    He says he knows people may be angry and not even believe the facts on air pollution, but this is the situation.
    Do you agree or not?
    We'll be discussing on North West Today on Wednesday"

(I didnt hear the show this morning, maybe i can get it on podcast or something)

well needless to say do i even have to tell you some of the comments underneath .. but I will:

"I will freeze to death if I dont light a fire"

"Good luck with that, I am not going to stop lighting my fire"

"how am I gonna heat up my rads and water without my open fire?"

"you can take my land but you are not having my cosy fire!"

haha, some wonderful feedback LOL .

But it just shows you a bit of how people especially in rural northwest of Ireland are passionate of their open coal fires as a matter of life or death (why?) - sounds like if legislation went through to ban coal fires that an all out riot could break out - maybe even more of an issue than paying for water!

I'll stop lighting a fire when all fossil fuels are banned in the country, including power stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Rodin wrote: »
    I'll stop lighting a fire when all fossil fuels are banned in the country, including power stations.

If I'm still around by that time I'll still be burning turf and logs and drinking Beamish :)

Rodin wrote: »

I bet ye wont :D

aint the governments sissy's - look at this in this years (April) IT

"Government delays plans for smoky coal ban following legal threats from industry"

I'm surprised europe has not stepped in yet with a nationwide ban yet like they did with 100w light bulbs and other EU over-writing Irish rules

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/government-delays-plans-for-smoky-coal-ban-following-legal-threats-from-industry-1.3849945?fbclid=IwAR1bJ2yurUq-EJwqd3_vFOZSTgRNmDcAcBAjT7aHYZutQQzFeV8VIIxk0Ws

on the subject - what is the real reasons for people still using smokey coal these days? - I have heard stories of that smokey coal is 'hotter' and better for fireplaces with back boilers and that the smokeless coal doesn't heat up the water hot enough and that smokeless coal works out much more expensive than smokey coal

what's the score? maybe if everyone burnt smokeless coal there would be no issue of smog like conditions and sulphuric acid smell in the area and everyone would be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I think its an older folks thing those who grew up with the only source of heat being an open fire. My parents for example insist on an open fire, my poor father out killing himself chopping up wood. I wouldn't be bothered, electric heaters do grand for me, you can turn on and off when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Agricola wrote: »
    The Murican's have their freedom and guns, the Irish have their coal fires!

Turf fires ..

• Advertisement

There is way more hate off a stove but the open fire is still nice.

Did anyone here ever try dipping a hot poker from the fire into a pint of stout? gives it lovely flavour

Hahaha. What?

Níl Aon Tinteán Mar Do Thinteán Féin

uther2.jpg

Nice. Excalibur too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nice. Excalibur too

Remembered wondering how anyone managed that wearing a full suit of armour ... the chaffing must have been woeful tbh.

Nice fire all the same;)

gozunda wrote: »
    Remembered wondering how anyone managed that wearing a full suit of armour ... the chaffing must have been woeful tbh.

Nice fire all the same;)

Yeah, and how she put up with it. I get in trouble if I leave my socks on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

pablo128 wrote: »
    Of course you can. Just fcuk a pot of water over it.

Salt...avoids the acrid smoke afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Andy join the Scouts and they'll teach you how to light a fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Dib Dib!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Níl Aon Tinteán Mar Do Thinteán Féin

uther2.jpg

Wow! The amount of heat loss with that open fire is shocking! A stove would be much more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

.. beat :)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    have to say it with the accent though

Can be either.

Bating is part of the leather making process whereby the rough hide is softened up.

So when people say 'TIpp were bate'. They mean that the Limerick hurling team took the toughness out of them and softened them up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather_production_processes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Neames wrote: »
    Wow! The amount of heat loss with that open fire is shocking! A stove would be much more efficient.

I doubt yer man would be too worried about heat loss now

• Advertisement

i havent had the urge to light a fire in over 5 years :D

no open fire for years, heat by flick of a switch , electric cooker, cant burn rubbish in the back garden any more, never ever been camping and dont intend to do and I am not a pyromaniac

learning how to light a fire now would be as much use to me as an ashtray on a motorbike haha :D

Neames wrote: »

she must be freezing .. if that were real she would need 3 layers of clothes on all that heat is escaping up the chimney

he's OK he has full armour on and most probably thermal long johns on underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Bobblehats wrote: »
    When it gets too intense you can’t dial it down

Easy. Most petrol stations sell firewood that's especially designed to put fires out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I can see it now, supervised sit around the fire therapy...

And some SJW type holding sway telling people that once upon a time adults could read and be creative, now that skill is native....

Listening to some story read by someone who's qualified and licensed to read stories or recite old lore...

All politically correct too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s primal

Setting a fire to keep your family warm is ingrained in the genes of a man

And with the lights low the jeans of your partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

heroics wrote: »
    Throw a few more larger sticks in and close the bottom vent a bit. once there is a layer of red hot embers throw in larger logs and close the bottom vent completely.

This closing down of stoves is what drives the emmissions through the roof. If you want to burn fuel as cleanly as possible you need to give it plenty of supply air so that it will burn flat out.

When you close it down and smoulder the fuel for hours it produces horrific levels of smoke and PM as there isn't enough air for complete combustion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

NSAman wrote: »
    And with the lights low the jeans of your partner!

And glisten that animal skin on the fire side, that warm sexy fire glow on naked skin, hair, that gentle loving stare...

Finally its happened to me....

Ce Ce Peniston.... 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

paw patrol wrote: »
    I love my open fire and my firepit out the back.

That fella is a gobsh1te he is looking at some tiny aspect and ignoring the major causes of pollution.
    His theory is just pissing in the wind , I'd suspect him to be a paid industry shill with horsesh1t like that

You wouldn't happen to have vested interests, would you? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

air wrote: »
    This closing down of stoves is what drives the emmissions through the roof. If you want to burn fuel as cleanly as possible you need to give it plenty of supply air so that it will burn flat out.

When you close it down and smoulder the fuel for hours it produces horrific levels of smoke and PM as there isn't enough air for complete combustion.

aye that makes sense .

even the basic of science would tell you that fire needs oxygen, surely by shutting off the draught plate at the bottom of the fire starves the fire of oxygen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Exactly. If you insist on using a stove you should buy one of the actual size you need for the room (most are 2 - 3 times oversized) and let it run as intended.
    If you want continuous heat for central heating or whatever put in a batch boiler and a thermal store. Less smoke, much higher efficiency, a cleaner chimney and environment.
    You also have much less fuel handling and processing as they take large logs.

Advertisement