Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

JayZeus wrote: »
    People tipping for fat food delivery are as bad as those giving money to those organised beggars on the street.
    El Tarangu wrote: »
    Jesus wept...

JayZeus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Why?

I tip delivery drivers from small Take Away restaurants i know they aren't paid much.

I don't use delivery companies outside of An post much ...but they are usually very large national or multi-national companies so no i don't tip their employees.

You are agreeing with me......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People usually complain about dole threads. It's this one that pops up the most though. Here are some point I'm sure have been made, admittedly without having read it at all;

- It's only a euro, what's the harm

- It helps make their wages.

- If wages are so bad, why work there, it's not on us to top them up.

- American tipping system and how we don't want that.

- If you tip the waiter, why not the chef

- Do you tip your doctor? If barber gets a tip, why not the doctor.

- Do you tip in McDonalds

- People calling each other scabby or tight

- Christmas tips for bin men from days gone by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why should someone tip OP they have already paid for the product you are delivering and the cost of delivery is included. Are you working for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If it was small I might.
    However locally one guy runs a delivery service himself and has a tidy enough profit out of it.
    His son works at one takeaway.
    If your waiting for food and daddy lands in and needs a burger for somebody. The son will take stuff off your bag that's almost ready for you and hand it to daddy leaving your stuff going cold while they prepare more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I usually tip 2-2.50 for food delivery. I don't tip couriers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Never to a courier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Lu Tze wrote: »
    It's very arbitrary it seems what services get tips. Used to work in a butchers as a teen, where on request you are preparing racks of lamb, butterflying steaks, bone and rolling chickens/turkeys/ leg of lamb etc which are skills most people wouldn't be able to do at home. Or at least do well.

But this is not worthy of tipping compared to somebody who can pick up a bag at takeaway and drop it to your house within 40 minutes or so.

Agree, always found it super weird which jobs we choose to tip. Another one I find strange is tipping bartenders for pulling pints, easiest job going, doesnt deserve a tip at all usually

Why should someone tip OP they have already paid for the product you are delivering and the cost of delivery is included. Are you working for free?

As I said, nobody HAS to tip and I don't EXPECT a tip.

I hope for a tip and I do tip. That's all.

Absolutely not, I detest tipping. I pay the price for the service/product which is usually plenty expensive without having to pay more of my hard earned salary on topping up the wages of the person already paid to do a job.

I have never got a tip for doing the job I'm paid to do so why on earth would I pay someone else extra?

• Advertisement

khaldrogo wrote: »
    As I said, nobody HAS to tip and I don't EXPECT a tip.

I hope for a tip and I do tip. That's all.

Why would you hope for a tip ? Does your employer not pay you for doing your job?
    Personally my opinion is it's not up to the customers of your employer to make up your wage .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I generally am not a tipper, it's up to the employer to pay the staffs wages and all that, but for some reason the exception to this is take away delivery drivers, i don't know why but i always tip them to some extent - nothing extravagant a quid or two.

Maybe it's just to get rid of them quicker so i can start eating, because I've usually mange to convince myself that i'm mere minutes away from death by starvation by the time they arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I tipped before it was mainstream. What am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I generally tip, but with some places now charging a 3 euro delivery fee and a 50c "service" fee, it's getting harder to justify

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

nope. I pay the takeaway for my food & inc a delivery charge. they pay the drivers a wage.

I try not to pay twice for a service when i can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Some dirty fûcking kebab merchants had a meal deal listed the wrong price over on Marvin and had the nerve to ask me for the extra cash on delivery instead of accepting their mistake just rectifying the error. My tip? GET OFF MY LAWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

That's just not me. I'd rather they gave it because they wanted to.

My second delivery the first night back after 15/16 years and the guys bill was €20.90. He handed me €30 and told me to kept the change. I said are you sure, he said yes. I pushed him on it and said , 'really are you sure? It's a lot' He looked puzzled. I told him what the bill was. He thought it was €29!!!

This happened me before . Gave driver 50 euro and got my calculations mixed up and he ended up getting around nearly 20 euro tip off me . Hadn’t the heart to say I messed up my maths . The chap still beeps his horn going past me in the street 15 years later .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Bobblehats wrote: »

Tipster, what do I win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Just do the tipping joke before he/she leaves tip them on the shoulder and say there's your tip then close the door in there face. Laughing is optional.

Why would you hope for a tip ? Does your employer not pay you for doing your job?
    Personally my opinion is it's not up to the customers of your employer to make up your wage .

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say!

Who doesn't hope for free money in their life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭LeBash

I tip the food delivery ladies and gents everytime at the door. It's about 2 quid and as several delivery guys have said, you always get the hot one. 2 admitted they pass other peoples door to get to my place first or if they see one for me, they will hang on for an extra couple of mins. I never wait more than 20 mins for food to be delivered.

I throw the bin men a bottle at Christmas, they have picked up bags several times as well as bin for nothing.

Regular courier in work gets a really nice bottle as well, he regularly helps out, digs a parcel out to change delivery address, hangs on a bit if we arent ready, will meet us somewhere if there is an urgent delivery after pick up time.

I get way more out of the tips than I put in and that isn't the reason I give it. If someone goes above their 8.90 per hour rate, why shouldn't you give them a few quid?

Some student working for deliveroo for example, 1 euro at every door could make the difference between making rent or not. Its 1 or 2 euro to you but means a hell of a lot more to them.

These people are working ****ty hours that most of us dont want to work and my guess is a Monday to Wednesday isnt worth their while for most.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I generally tip, but with some places now charging a 3 euro delivery fee and a 50c "service" fee, it's getting harder to justify

This is a fair point

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say!

Who doesn't hope for free money in their life?

It's not really, why do you think it's ok for someone to pay extra for a service they already paid for. Maybe answer the question please.

It's not really, why do you think it's ok for someone to pay extra for a service they already paid for. Maybe answer the question please.

It really was a ridiculous question tbh and you've followed it up with another one!!!

I think it's ok for someone to voluntarily pay a euro more at their door because......wait for it............it's going to be a good one............wait for it........... because it's going in my pocket. Unsurprisingly.

Seriously, do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Q: How did Bobblehats burn his mouth?

A: He tried to eat his takeaway before it was cool

:cool:

A hipster tipster?

hynesie08 wrote: »

There's a fried chicken spot near me that charges 4 euro for delivery. That's 4.50 if using justeat.ie. I'd sooner just go and get it myself for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

LeBash wrote: »
    I tip the food delivery ladies and gents everytime at the door. It's about 2 quid and as several delivery guys have said, you always get the hot one. 2 admitted they pass other peoples door to get to my place first or if they see one for me, they will hang on for an extra couple of mins. I never wait more than 20 mins for food to be delivered.

I throw the bin men a bottle at Christmas, they have picked up bags several times as well as bin for nothing.

Regular courier in work gets a really nice bottle as well, he regularly helps out, digs a parcel out to change delivery address, hangs on a bit if we arent ready, will meet us somewhere if there is an urgent delivery after pick up time.

I get way more out of the tips than I put in and that isn't the reason I give it. If someone goes above their 8.90 per hour rate, why shouldn't you give them a few quid?

Some student working for deliveroo for example, 1 euro at every door could make the difference between making rent or not. Its 1 or 2 euro to you but means a hell of a lot more to them.

These people are working ****ty hours that most of us dont want to work and my guess is a Monday to Wednesday isnt worth their while for most.
    If these students are relying on tips to pay their rent then it's the business owner's fault for not compensating them enough for their labour rather than the customer.

Tipping drivers for delivering your food is a tacit approval of their employers not paying them a decent wage. As far as I'm concerned it's an endorsement of exploitation.

It really was a ridiculous question tbh and you've followed it up with another one!!!

I think it's ok for someone to voluntarily pay a euro more at their door because......wait for it............it's going to be a good one............wait for it........... because it's going in my pocket. Unsurprisingly.

Seriously, do better.

I don't need to do better, I asked you a simple question which you have been unable to answer instead you respond with sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Takeaway is always paid by card so tipping is too inconvenient for me to bother. I'm not going to put coins in my pocket just for a tip

Advertisement