Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further Cold Spell In February? 0-180 Charts Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Posted by GP over on Netweather today.

I would steer clear of the entire NCEP model suite until it resolves with much more clarrity what happens after 11th Feb.

The recent trend from GFS ensembles was to build a strongly negative AO from around this point. Now the suite is completely scattered and shows no coherent solution. Given the ECM (and I think GEM) ensembles are still pretty bullish about a renewed deepening of the -AO, allied to potential downwelling of negative zonal wind anomalies, I would favour these over the GFS, which has also been most unreliable of the major modelling centres in terms of the NAO domain - tending to be too progressive and under estimating heights to our north-west.

The trend still looks like heights rebuilding over Scandinavia, followed by a building of heights to our north-west and negative NAO with the trough dropping into Scandinavia. Heights probably most well developed from southern Greenland across Iceland and west of Scandinavia, a la ECM ensemble mean height anomaly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Posted by GP over on Netweather today.

I don't read netweather forum but I gather from reading this one that 'GP' is considered to be a bit of a meteorological demigod, and perhaps with good reason. But having said that, I just don't get that same 'warm glow' from reading his posts on here as I do when reading the just as informed and considered posts from our own group of experts here on this weather forum. I am pretty sure no posts from here get quoted from on Netweather, so I don't see why we should quote posts from theirs.

This is not an attack on you Musicman, just speaking in general. Nor is it an attack on Netweather. (they do have a nice selection of charts! :p)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I don't read netweather forum but I gather from reading this one that 'GP' is considered to be a bit of a meteorological demigod, and perhaps with good reason. But having said that, I just don't get that same 'warm glow' from reading his posts on here as I do when reading the just as informed and considered posts from our own group of experts here on this weather forum. I am pretty sure no posts from here get quoted from on Netweather, so I don't see why we should quote posts from theirs.

This is not an attack on you Musicman, just speaking in general. Nor is it an attack on Netweather. (they do have a nice selection of charts! :p)

He is one of the chief forecasters for netweather.

I think I have seen a few of Su's Posts over there (not by him but copied and pasted)

MT posts in both areas also , weather holds no boundrys .

To me I don't care where the info comes from as long as its detailed and well explained, I mean the same could be said for people posting up info from Matt hugo and the likes.

People are hungry for info and lets be honest only a select few on here have the insight/knowledge to put up the type informative and detailed postings that most of us crave and I suppose people feel there adding something to the forum providing other sources of information , in my book it's not a bad thing at all, a lot of us can read the charts but gathering an understanding and knowledge of the bigger picture and blending these ideas together with research/ past events is something I think takes years of experience.

I might add looking at netweather with a view for Irish Weather is nearly a waste of time , I'm myself like to read up on broader weather patterns and trends like strat warming .

I know from looking and reading some of the posters analysis on boards that an awful lot of time and effort goes into them and I would like to personally thank them for there time and effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

To me I don't care where the info comes from as long as its detailed and well explained, I mean the same could be said for people posting up info from Matt hugo and the likes.
    The value of the information is extremely compromised by the veracity of the models though.
    When they are shakey past 72hrs,we may aswell be discussing scrabble as to get a true picture of what is going on.
    I find a lot of the model discussion on NW to be imby in the extreme, home counties England centric.

Information on there too can be misleading eg this mornings tete a tetes on faux cold with people claiming theres no such thing...
    Faux cold is exactly that,it's normal winter frost that hasn't shifted.A few gusts of wind and it's gone.It's not terribly exciting.

Another problem with NW discussions on models,true of here too and the whole weather fora internet world is,you can't talk about bad signs for cold ie that mild might win without many is the time being leaped on.
    In my humble opinion posts like that are in laa land.

But anyhow back to model substance.Big changes towards a mild evolution today which explains yesterdays met office update which I got criticized for posting on the other thread....because people didn't want to hear bad news..
    Well I'm afraid,today is a bad news models day if you like snow.
    In the neartime suggestions are for the cold to continue to only flirt with SE England but in the main to keep heading towards france.

All academic really as particulars beyond 72hrs are hard to nail down.
    The probability ensemble wise though has definitely swung towards a milder evolution for whatever thats worth.
    Thats the more likely outcome regardless anyway with a still active atlantic and a weaker or not getting any stronger cold system too far to our east.
    They did battle at the weekend and we got mild.
    Says it all really.
    We might get a colder period alright but as I was thinking last night and still am, a dry colder period.
    Looks potentially brief now too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Agreed with you on today's model outputs , a milder evolution looks very likely.

I know after 72 hours it's more than likely FI and this is where we look for a trend, the trend is most certinaly for mild weather.

• Advertisement

It could all change tomorrow.
    But it just shows you that no matter how bullish people are about cold,snow,blocking,greenie highs etc,it's all just a discussion about NWP output thats often wrong anyway so thats why we should all be sceptical of those[including me btw] that exclaim certainty at anytime about something more severe reaching our shores unless it contains the things mentioned below.

They should know better and so should we.

Apologies about the pessimism today but it's the truth.

I mean lol,it's "all about the trends" in FI.
    Yesterday they were coldish,today they are not so coldish,if that continues then all we are getting is our normal weather ahead really and trends towards cold were empty numerical mistakes really.
    We will have learned nothing if we continue to rely on signals picked up here mar dhea and trends there etc etc
    The lesson to learn is and I say this with a pinch of salt,that a siberian high is too far away to influence Ireland too much and a scandi high is only good if it's over northern scandinavia.

Oh and showers don't form too well at 1030 mb and above pressure,thats something that was said at the start of this "spell".

Yours in despondence,

Blackius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Disagree.

There is little point to discussion threads on models which ignore what the models are actually saying, because they might change. If that were the case the only models we could talk about would be < 72h

I am not saying theres no point in discussing the models.
    I'm just saying we should recognise that they are often erroneous and we'd be better off discussing them in the main theoretically past 96hrs or 120hrs rather than taking the kind of faith that we sometimes fall fowl of taking in them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A northerly of sorts isn't too far away at 180? Yes, ridiculous straw clutching I know but desperation is really setting in now!

Rtavn1801.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lo all, been away the weekend but been keeping an eye on the charts also. Things not looking so hot on any of the charts up to 96hrs but there's room for potential from this weekend onwards. Wouldn't go betting my chickens though. Atlantic seems to be gathering steam once again. :/

btw its Enderman formerly cherryghost now cherryghost again :P

• Advertisement

weather holds no boundrys .

Fair points PP but have to disagree with the above statement. I argue that weather does have many boundaries! :o

191611.gif

blackius wrote: »

The lesson to learn is and I say this with a pinch of salt,that a siberian high is too far away to influence Ireland too much and a scandi high is only good if it's over northern scandinavia.

Have to disagree a little there. It all depends of course on the broader set up but some of the most brutal weather in Ireland during the 1963 winter for example occurred when the Scandinavian High was centered over Southern Scandinavia.

Fair points PP but have to disagree with the above statement. I argue that weather does have many boundaries! :o

191611.gif

Never a truer example :D There is us stuck in the boundary of no mans land .

I think the main thing on the charts was nobody really got carried away this weekend when they briefly showed something over the weekend , after the stelar runs of the weekend before which broke down the following Monday.

Have to disagree a little there. It all depends of course on the broader set up but some of the most brutal weather in Ireland during the 1963 winter for example occurred when the Scandinavian High was centered over Southern Scandinavia.
    Well I suppose it does depend on the angle of the dangle....
    My point was supposed to mean,if you have Easterlies,they are useless if they are slack like we've had because pressure is too high.
    Have a spoiler high to our southwest and it's a disaster,we've seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 12z's are very poor this evening.
    It's been a shabby Winter with nothing cold in the offing.
    I wonder is it time to call this Winter as being as good as gone.
    No matter what happens for rest of Feb it surely cant halt the stat of it being one of the mildest on record.
    Of most note for me though is the amount of non descript weather thrown at us.
    We did learn something though and that's that long range forecast are a complete waste of time. Even GP's integrity has taken a dip now.
    Must say though that the Met Office's long range forecasts have been quite accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Of most note for me though is the amount of non descript weather thrown at us.

Well said - and sums up things since the start of last year, making it the longest such spell I can ever remember:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Personally I feel this winter is over, in the 7 years I been reading this forum, this winter has to be the most dissapointing waste of a winter and tbh cant wait for it to be over at this stage. Theres only 3 weeks of winter left now and the signs do not look good for Ireland. We may get snow in March but that's Spring and March is when I normally expect temperatures to start rising with thoughts of a another warm April hopefully. Many parts of Ireland have not seen a flake of snow fall since Christmas Eve 2010, what a shame. Looking on the bright side I think winter 2012/2013 can only be better than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tonights ECM puts the tin hat on it - the snorefest continues FTFF:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yeah we seem to be headed for a quiet period of weather with high pressure near by or situated over us. Cold at night but nothing spectacular yet. Often prior to a strong Greenland block becoming established we have a week or two of high pressure dominating our weather before retrogressing Northwest. That seems the most likely scenario now. But things do change quickly aswell and you never know when the models might pick up on a sudden signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think fog may be more of a headline this week, with plenty of moisture trapped under the inversion and slack winds. Should be a lot of low stratus/stratocumulus, so nights may not be as cold as people are thinking. The odd ground frost maybe, but I would say the majority of stations will not fall below 0 °C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ECM 0Z not a bad run that might keep a few interested for another while anyway.

191791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes a few more charts for us coldies yet.

GFS 6z actually backs up the UKM and ECM a bit

Nice position for a HP for us on the east coast.

Rtavn1801.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hmm, pretty cold outlier !

Dublin Ensembles:

graphe_ens3_fqf0.gif

London Ensembles:

graphe_ens3_tlk1.gif

This morning's ECMWF seems to have some support from its ensembles for higher geos to be forced northwards towards more Arctic regions around the start of next week:

191822.png

helping to increase the chance of blocking high to our west or northwest though this seems to be a wobble in an otherwise consistent ensemble mean over the last few weeks. Still, something to keep an eye on - for better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

12z brings some cooler 850's over us at t96,probably nothing to get excited about
    gfs-1-96_wsq4.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

delw wrote: »
    ...probably nothing to get excited about.

You're dead right! :D

We really are in no mans land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Confidence building on a Greenland high developing. The trigger low for a northerly is south of Greenland at 96hrs. From then on it depends on the Northern arm of the jet stream weakening holding a block through the corridor south of Greenland.

UW96-21.GIF?07-17

Things are looking up at last.

A North Westerly coming in over us at +156

Rtavn1561.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

UKM looks reasonable aswell at T144

UW144-21.GIF?07-17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

UKM looks reasonable aswell at T144

UW144-21.GIF?07-17

To my very untrained eye UKMO 12 z and ECM 6z are very similiar and 12z GFS is not far off. All showing a good northerly outbreak mid month. All eyes on ECM 12z now. That said its all 8 days away - we've had better at a nearer timeframe recently and zip has come of it. On the other hand I think a few of you (MTC, DM2, Weathercheck and Su Campu) have talked of a mid month northerly for a while if I recall correctly.....

I will wait for:-

1. T72 charts and / or
    2. Su to come on board

before getting excited.

Advertisement