Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-05-2020, 21:40   #31
SouthWesterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
Is it possible to get daily data/updates/estimates on soil moisture deficits? The only place I've seen these figures quoted is on Sunday's farming forecast on RTE. I presume that SMD is a complex enough thing and affected not only by rainfall, but also temperature, wind, humidity etc.

The reason I ask is, I have lawns to cut at my properties and this is apparently non essential travel. Grass growth has been very slow in April presumably due to the soil moisture deficit so from my POV I hope this continues. And yes, I realise that this is a selfish hope and farmers will be adversely affected if their grass growth is restricted by dry soils.
Ive a field of grass a local is taking hay off. Very little growth. We need some rain. Had 3mm in the last week.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2020, 14:59   #32
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
Is it possible to get daily data/updates/estimates on soil moisture deficits? The only place I've seen these figures quoted is on Sunday's farming forecast on RTE. I presume that SMD is a complex enough thing and affected not only by rainfall, but also temperature, wind, humidity etc.

The reason I ask is, I have lawns to cut at my properties and this is apparently non essential travel. Grass growth has been very slow in April presumably due to the soil moisture deficit so from my POV I hope this continues. And yes, I realise that this is a selfish hope and farmers will be adversely affected if their grass growth is restricted by dry soils.
Met Eireann have a few SMD maps (along with their 'farming commentary') at the bottom of this page here:

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming#agri-graphs

You'll probably have to zoom in though to read any of those map values.
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2020, 10:27   #33
pauldry

What's the lowest SMD on record?

Was it that dry Summer a couple of years ago or 1976?
05-05-2020, 13:04   #34
Harry Palmr

Looking at those maps it's a wonder they have a notion whats happening in 95% of Munster.
07-05-2020, 11:15   #35
pauldry

Oh it rained just there bringing the gauge up to 26mm......since March 18th!!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-05-2020, 11:37   #36
highdef

Technically this is dual post as I have just posted the same in the Spring discussion thread however I forgot about this thread and my message would be more suitable here so here we go again. Mods, please feel free to remove my duplicate post in the Spring discussion thread.

I see that soil moisture deficits have now exceeded 50mm in the Dublin region and are close to exceeding that in many eastern parts. That is pretty extreme for the time of year. With little rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future combined with the fact that we are still 6 weeks from the summer solstice (so therefore the potential for the sun to dry the ground out at ever faster rates increases for another 6 weeks, based on sun strength alone) means that we are at a very high risk of entering a severe drought this summer should current rainfall trends continue.

Thankfully, by typing out this very message I have probably jinxed the whole summer and it will be a complete washout
Thanks from:
07-05-2020, 12:26   #37
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdef View Post
Technically this is dual post as I have just posted the same in the Spring discussion thread however I forgot about this thread and my message would be more suitable here so here we go again. Mods, please feel free to remove my duplicate post in the Spring discussion thread.

I see that soil moisture deficits have now exceeded 50mm in the Dublin region and are close to exceeding that in many eastern parts. That is pretty extreme for the time of year. With little rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future combined with the fact that we are still 6 weeks from the summer solstice (so therefore the potential for the sun to dry the ground out at ever faster rates increases for another 6 weeks, based on sun strength alone) means that we are at a very high risk of entering a severe drought this summer should current rainfall trends continue.

Thankfully, by typing out this very message I have probably jinxed the whole summer and it will be a complete washout
Most certainly we are going through a fairly extended dry spell now, but it is interesting to note that regarding the running 3 month (91 days) and annual (365 days) percentage totals, we are still way in excess, with values of 135% and 123% respectively. If there is any truth to the idea that nature will always balance itself out, then a extended dry spell running into the Summer months is more than overdue to address this imbalance.

But as we also know, nature rarely works that cleanly.
Thanks from:
07-05-2020, 13:32   #38
Harry Palmr

The next week is basically dry, even last night turned out to be very modest as far as I can see.

As for balancing out if you look at the historical records on met.ie, the station nearest me (Johnstown Castle) pretty much ends up with a 1100mm of rain every year but of course that's missing the point - it's the unreliable and extreme peaks and troughs that do the damage.
(3) thanks from:
08-05-2020, 00:26   #39
Neddyusa

Posted this in the spring thread but more relevant here:

The one "wet day" in the forecast returned a total of 1.5mm here in Roscommon.
Only 43mm here since Paddys Day (and 30mm of that fell last Thursday)

Unusually, its been the west and north-west thats been the driest since March.

Anyone farming on light soils is going to need all those leftover 2019 bales!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-05-2020, 10:31   #40
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddyusa View Post
Posted this in the spring thread but more relevant here:

The one "wet day" in the forecast returned a total of 1.5mm here in Roscommon.
Only 43mm here since Paddys Day (and 30mm of that fell last Thursday)

Unusually, its been the west and north-west thats been the driest since March.

Anyone farming on light soils is going to need all those leftover 2019 bales!
I think the Dublin region is driest of all NeddyUSA, but considering that this notable dry spell (perhaps not for the far south) is occurring in what is already, on average, the driest period of the year, really shows just what little rainfall there has been over the bulk of the country over the last 6 weeks or so.

Chances of some more showers over the next few days but looks like more dry weather for much of next week, added with a stiff wind at times that will only enhance evaporation rates even further.
(2) thanks from:
08-05-2020, 12:06   #41
pauldry

Yeah we got 2.5mm out of yesterdays rain and 5.5mm when roscommon had 30mm. Still a few showers over weekend. Things not drastic here yet but at lake you can walk into pier as no water like before. In February the pier was almost under water. How things change. Grass a bit yellow too
08-05-2020, 12:16   #42
SleetAndSnow

37.4mm here in cork city so far this month, similar to last year with 41mm. Looks to be the highest in the country. Very interesting seeing the differences across the country let alone the county because Moore park only recorded 15.7mm!

Last edited by SleetAndSnow; 08-05-2020 at 16:45.
08-05-2020, 16:09   #43
giveitholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetAndSnow View Post
37.4mm here in cork city so far this month, similar to last year with 41mm. Looks to be the highest in the country. Very interesting seeing the differences across the country let alone the country because Moore park only recorded 15.7mm!
And I recorded 8.2mm so far this month about 25 miles further north than moorepark
Thanks from:
08-05-2020, 17:04   #44
RobertKK

Since St Patrick's day, just 37.8mm here in north Kilkenny. 0.6mm for this month.
I miss the rain
08-05-2020, 18:21   #45
Mortelaro

Since april 1st,44.4mm recorded at my station in Arklow
3mm of that since may 1st

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size