Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rain Chains

Options
  • 19-04-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi looking into installing a rain chain into one of my existing gutters. Does anyone know where these can be purchased. I’m looking for brass or copper chain. Will the existing gutter (2 story) support the weight of the chains ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I seriously doubt a gutter could support a two storey chain designed for storm water. Any I've seen of that height could be of at least 8mm gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I seriously doubt a gutter could support a two storey chain designed for storm water. Any I've seen of that height could be of at least 8mm gauge.

Any suggestions on how it would work or where one might find the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks up rain chain....OHHH I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

You could put a bracket on the fascia to support it nearly 6m of chain is a fair weight to support

You could put a bracket on the fascia to support it nearly 6m of chain is a fair weight to support

Yeah I was thinking the weight would be too much. Yet surprisingly there’s never any mention online of the chain weight and they only seem to install a clip into the the downspout hole.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking the weight would be too much. Yet surprisingly there’s never any mention online of the chain weight and they only seem to install a clip into the the downspout hole.

I can pretty much guarantee that any pvc or aluminium gutter that's available as standard here wouldn't be able to support a two storey chain rope.

Any where I've seen them used has been with strong cast or wrought iron guttering.

An anchor to blockwork should suffice, and that could be hidden by some clever detailing

Clever detailing is a lot easier at the start that trying to come up with a retrofit. I’m adding two to a build in the garden but I wanted the existing one on the house to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Chain supplies on richmond rd. Drumcondra.
    Or try
    Chain and rope supplies in clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Safety Stan here!

If you have kids or kids can get anywhere near the chain make sure the bracket can hold the weight of the chain, water and a child swinging from it!! You don't want one of them down on anyone's head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Safety Stan here!

If you have kids or kids can get anywhere near the chain make sure the bracket can hold the weight of the chain, water and a child swinging from it!! You don't want one of them down on anyone's head!
    pvc chains?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

pvc chains?

I just got a little sick in my mouth there

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Total disaster in windy weather ..water blows everywhere off the chain.. and nothing reaches the actual drain. There fitted to a public building in cork with about 8 years and on wet windy day it would be same as having down pipe missing...stupid design having seen them in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Total disaster in windy weather ..water blows everywhere off the chain.. and nothing reaches the actual drain. There fitted to a public building in cork with about 8 years and on wet windy day it would be same as having down pipe missing...stupid design having seen them in operation

The company I work for has an office in Cork with rain chains... they just don't work, water all over the place, pooling around the chain after blowing off.

Not to say they can't work if done right, but in this particular instance, they don' work, at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Monarch Rain Chains on Amazon.

For people concerned about brackets these are fairly rock solid. I got 3 before since Xmax. Delivery was ridiculously quick. Comments about the wind etc are valid, these help as they are slightly tapered, but there are still issues.

We built in a large 'pot' just under ground level, connected the chain to a wavin pipe, then infilled the pot with large decorative stone and built a patio around it. So the splash is not an issue for us

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YP5ZFX/ref=dp_cerb_1

davidm20 wrote: »
    Monarch Rain Chains on Amazon.

For people concerned about brackets these are fairly rock solid. I got 3 before since Xmax. Delivery was ridiculously quick. Comments about the wind etc are valid, these help as they are slightly tapered, but there are still issues.

We built in a large 'pot' just under ground level, connected the chain to a wavin pipe, then infilled the pot with large decorative stone and built a patio around it. So the splash is not an issue for us

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YP5ZFX/ref=dp_cerb_1

Any pics of the finished product

Here's a few pics attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

No issues with taking the weight of the chain there.
    Is it a fibreglass box gutter you installed behind the parapet

No issues with taking the weight of the chain there.
    Is it a fibreglass box gutter you installed behind the parapet

It's layered with a 'cloth like' fiberglass that's glued to the inside of the channel that was cast when the concrete ring beam was poured....well afaik

• Advertisement
Advertisement