Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Generation Consoles

Options
  • 19-04-2019 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

More and more news leaking about the next generation of consoles. Some of the game developers have now been briefed about the hardware specifications.

See the below tweet:

https://twitter.com/TheDon_KTR/status/1118917174511325184

I am not trying to start a fanboy war, just constructive conversations about people thoughts on the next consoles.

More reports leaking this morning are putting the next Xbox spec ahead of the PS5 but not by a massive amount.

I am not in favour of a hardware deficit, the developers and gamers are the ones that lose out. It is likely unavoidable to have some kind of deficit, I just hope it is not massive. I am speaking as an Xbox player. I don't want the PS5 or the next Xbox to have a massive advantage or disadvantage.

I am excited about the next generation but the early reports are aiming for a 4K native 60FPS. Something we were kinda promised with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. We know that true 4K gaming is not really possible on the current generation without locking FPS to 30 or downscaling.

Here is hopeing for 4K 60FPS, and more importantly, some very good new games to play.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Think this is my last console, no interest in a new playstation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No interest either unless the exclusives are there. Sony have worthwhile ones but still feel the PS4 is kind of lacking enough to make it stand out from a One or PC.

As for the deficit, performance isn't all that matters. The 360 showed that clever hardware design can win out, although these consoles are probably going to have the same architecture.

Price is the big thing. If the power difference is marginal but comes at a large price difference then things can change. Sony also have the brand loyalty that MS lost and it will take a colossal screw up by Sony to lose that. However nobody does screw ups better than Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Only recently bought a 4K tv and Xbox One X (which I am happy with). Looking forward to seeing MS hardware specs (and some new exclusives please). Mainly hoping games will be 4K 60fps as standard.

edit: Just seen a tweet that Xbox won't reveal until 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for the deficit, performance isn't all that matters. The 360 showed that clever hardware design can win out, although these consoles are probably going to have the same architecture.
    On this particular point, I'd be surprised if either platform holder is going to be interested in an overly bespoke architecture again for their consoles. Even with MS, when it came to releasing the Scorpio they removed the eSRAM and went for pure brute force performance from the base hardware rather than making any alterations to the design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    On this particular point, I'd be surprised if either platform holder is going to be interested in an overly bespoke architecture again for their consoles. Even with MS, when it came to releasing the Scorpio they removed the eSRAM and went for pure brute force performance from the base hardware rather than making any alterations to the design.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. When you are building your games on PC and with how complicated games are now it makes no sense having to write complicated compilers for your system.

Maybe ARM systems will take over in the future but I can't really see that any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Looking forward to the "next gen" if I'm honest, I'll definitely probably buy a PS5 purely for it backwards compatibility and if the Xbox has a few good exclusives (that I can't find on PC) I will probably pick one of them up also, Mark Cerny let a fair bit out in an interview a few days ago :

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sony-next-gen-playstation-5-spec-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am looking forward too. I love my Xbox one x and 4k TV and having games at 60fps 4k is all I want from it.
    Even better, I hope they will make New consoles same in a way they did with Xbox one x. Just slap a lot more power to feckers and let us keep our games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Only interested in exclusives at this stage and Sony takes the cake in that regard. Plus alot of the Xbox "exclusives" end up on PC anyway. I only hope 60FPS becomes a standard this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'll be sticking with the Playstation. Anytime I've edged towards the Xbox I feel like I've been let down. Delighted that the PS5 will be backwards compatible - I've held off on getting a pro and will just wait to upgrade to the new console instead.

Agreed with all the above re a gulf in class between the consoles. In an ideal world we'd have no exclusives and identical hardware. I can't stand the fanboy wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll invest in a Ryzen 3000-series CPU upgrade instead.

Or AMD stock :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

fifth wrote: »

edit: Just seen a tweet that Xbox won't reveal until 2020.

Not sure I'd put much faith in that. All signs seem to point to Microsoft moving first and having a substantial next-Box focus at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,269 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not sure I'd put much faith in that. All signs seem to point to Microsoft moving first and having a substantial next-Box focus at E3.

They did the same with the One X, announcing and talking about Project Scorpio at the e3 over a year before it was coming out. If they're aiming for a Nov 2020 release (which will likely be the release of the PS5 as well, same with how PS4 and XB1 were released Nov 2013), they could give first details at this year's e3 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Penn wrote: »
    They did the same with the One X, announcing and talking about Project Scorpio at the e3 over a year before it was coming out. If they're aiming for a Nov 2020 release (which will likely be the release of the PS5 as well, same with how PS4 and XB1 were released Nov 2013), they could give first details at this year's e3 for sure.

I hope MS do a better job with it than with the Xbone as that reveal was a clusterfcukof epic proportions.

let's face it, the Playstation has dominated in terms of quality exclusives for over a decade now.

not seeing anything substantial from Microsoft that is showing any signs of that situation changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Looking forward to the next gen. Will probably pick up both again. Both Consoles have their merits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I am looking forward too. I love my Xbox one x and 4k TV and having games at 60fps 4k is all I want from it.
    Even better, I hope they will make New consoles same in a way they did with Xbox one x. Just slap a lot more power to feckers and let us keep our games.
    To have a proper 4k experience today you'd be looking at a 2080TI which is a €1200 card; to get a console in at the €500 range there will be some serious cutting in either graphics quality settings or frame rate consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The biggest barrier to 60fps in the current consoles (at either 1080p or 4k) is the weak CPUs. The next gen will be based on Ryzen architecture so pretty much everything will run at 60fps as standard. Graphics settings can be adjusted to hit that target, but nothing can be done about a weak CPU.

I think next gen won't be a huge graphical leap, but it will be a huge CPU leap and 60fps being a universal standard will be the main bonus.

As it is, the Xbox One X does pretty OK 4k wise. Obviously it's not comparable to a PC running 4K at ultra, but these days the difference between low-medium and high-ultra is suprisingly subtle in many cases. If you take something like APEX or Battlefield and compare them at 1080p or 4K low/medium v high/ultra, the differences are there, but not too bad in the context of maintaining 60fps/4k.

Obviously the One X and PS4 Pro also have dynamic resolution as well for that reason. All in all, I would expect next gen to be equivalent to a PC with something like RTX2060 + Ryzen 2600. Well capable of proper native 4K 60fps at reasonable visual settings.

Rumours are that Xbox one X will be forwards compatible, meaning it will be able to play next gen games. It will take the place of the One S in becoming the cheaper lower spec'ed console.

1080p 60fps on the X will do me tbh at least until decent price reductions come along. Don't under estimate fps, 4k on the other hand is easily over estimated.

Of course there is Xclould as well which I am all in on. This gen is less about specs and more about eco system to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Of course there is Xclould as well which I am all in on. This gen is less about specs and more about eco system to me.

True, I thought they were going to discuss Xcloud at GDC but I guess they are powdering their noses on that.
    If they, Sony or Google can get something working which would make your library portable it would be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think one way one console can appeal to people over the other is allowing this gen controllers to work on next gen. I'm sure a lot of parents would like that, for a start.

I mean there's not much difference between the PS3 and PS4 or 360 and XBone controllers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

glasso wrote: »
    let's face it, the Playstation has dominated in terms of quality exclusives for over a decade now.

not seeing anything substantial from Microsoft that is showing any signs of that situation changing.

Especially when they are putting everything on PC anyway.

Advertisement