Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pex crimping

Options
  • 19-04-2019 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I've been looking into PEX which seems to be recommended by a lot of US based sites.

However, most of them recommend crimping but I'm not finding many crimp tools or crimp rings for sale on Irish or UK sites. Is it more typical over here to use push fittings? I can find the tools/rings but they're way overpriced as if they're specialty.

I also see some places carrying polyplumb which is PB instead of PEX. As far as I can tell this isn't even allowed under building codes in the US due to a reaction with chlorine. My first reaction is to discount it due to that, but it seems to be quite popular?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Zab wrote: »
    I've been looking into PEX which seems to be recommended by a lot of US based sites.

Looking into it for what exactly?
    A small repair, replumbing a house, central heating systems??

To be honest I'm not a great fan of pex pipework and push fittings, and the latest qualpex crimp fittings look so fragile they make me shudder.
    If you are looking for a flexible piping medium maybe consider Multi-Layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Looking into it for what exactly?
    A small repair, replumbing a house, central heating systems??

To be honest I'm not a great fan of pex pipework and push fittings, and the latest qualpex crimp fittings look so fragile they make me shudder.
    If you are looking for a flexible piping medium maybe consider Multi-Layer.

Partial replumb.

The cottage is currently plumbed from the rear. New hookup will be from the front. Central heating loop will be left largely intact although the boiler location will change. Existing pipework is all copper except for a lead feed. All sinks etc are at the back, only heating in the front.

Front of the house is floorboards, so access won't be an issue to bring the feed back. The back of the house has a concrete slab with a couple of points where the copper has been buried under it.

The flexibility isn't essential exactly, I'm just looking for manageable and cost effective.

If you are bringing in a new mains water feed I would still use heavy gauge Hydrodare to a new stop-cock.
    Its up to you, but if you want to use Pex on the rest of your hot / cold water I would be suggesting using instantor compression fittings with it.
    Moving the boiler needs care about where you can or can't use pex. At very least not within 1 metre of the boiler.

Thanks K.Flyer, I'll do some more research.

I'd come across the 1m boiler thing before, although I won't be doing the final connections to the boiler myself anyway.

I'll look into the hyrodare. The cottage is fronted onto the street so my current plan is to have a not-very-accessible stopcock right there under the floorboards and another where the pipe becomes more accessible. Perhaps the one under the floorboards isn't really necessary and I'm just overreacting because the previous installer didn't see the need for a stopcock at all.

I've generally found that there's unfortunately a bit of a disconnect between information sources on the internet and realities in Ireland.

• Advertisement

If you are putting in a new mains feed from the council supply you would usually have your new stopcock in the most convenient position and the unjointed single pipe run out to where the council will make the connection to the supply.
    Usually they prefer that your pipe is able to be brought out from under the house wall to their connection with a couple of spare metres to work with.
    They will usually send out their inspector to tell you exactly how they want things when they arrive to connect.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If you are putting in a new mains feed from the council supply you would usually have your new stopcock in the most convenient position and the unjointed single pipe run out to where the council will make the connection to the supply.
    Usually they prefer that your pipe is able to be brought out from under the house wall to their connection with a couple of spare metres to work with.
    They will usually send out their inspector to tell you exactly how they want things when they arrive to connect.

Ah, so they'll want me to bring a pipe out to them? A gas man/plumber I had over (to cost up the boiler) said that Irish Water would be happy to shove a pipe under the door jamb and I could take it from there.

I didn't realise they'd be sending an inspector before hand either, that actually makes things easier if he can just tell me what they're looking for.

Zab wrote: »
    Ah, so they'll want me to bring a pipe out to them? A gas man/plumber I had over (to cost up the boiler) said that Irish Water would be happy to shove a pipe under the door jamb and I could take it from there.

I didn't realise they'd be sending an inspector before hand either, that actually makes things easier if he can just tell me what they're looking for.

Unless policy has changed its the way I had to do it with them the last time I changed a mains for someone.
    Personally, I would prefer a single continuous pipe from their connection point to the stop cock.
    You can phone Irish Water on (01)7072828 directly and find out which way they prefer to do it.

Advertisement