Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear coat on cupboard paint?

• 17-04-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Painted an mdf kitchen with Johnstone's cupboard paint as the cheap alternative to replacing the kitchen. My fear is that this finish may be prone to scratching due to daily wear and tear.

Has anyone any experience of using this paint and would a clear coat of lacquer or similar be advised ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Painted an mdf kitchen with Johnstone's cupboard paint as the cheap alternative to replacing the kitchen. My fear is that this finish may be prone to scratching due to daily wear and tear.

Has anyone any experience of using this paint and would a clear coat of lacquer or similar be advised ?

Painted my kitchen preeses a couple of years ago. Used BIN primer first (2 coats) before painting it.

Don't do it unless you prime it first. Otherwise paint will scratch off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Painted my kitchen preeses a couple of years ago. Used BIN primer first (2 coats) before painting it.

Don't do it unless you prime it first. Otherwise paint will scratch off.

How are they holding up?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    How are they holding up?

Still looks good. No scratches and no paint has chipped off.

I did painted other furniture but paint chips off unless you use a good primer. Those all in one things are crap.... Undercoat / paint together.

Get a good primer even if you use cheaper paint.

I did same with stairs last year. Great good. Use BIN primer. It's expensive but kitchen presses are used constantly.... Do it right or just leave it as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

If you have the time and patience you could apply two or more coats of paint. Let the first coat dry thoroughly. Then sand it with fine to medium sandpaper. Dust it well, even wipe with a slightly moist cloth, then apply the next coat. To start on plain wood, a coat of primer is always advised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement