Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains with buffer or gravity fed refurb?

Options
  • 14-04-2019 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have taken a look at other threads, but I cannot see any strong reason for going with mains pumped + a buffer tank.

Ironically I grew up in a country without attic tanks, but as the mains pressure here requires a pump either way for the house I am refurbishing, I am going to run with the following:

*Attic tank with a pump (rubber feet or hung)
    *pumped showers
    *pumped feed to air to water hot water cylinder (and pumped hot water too consequently).
    *Gravity feed for toilets
    *Gravity feed cold taps

The reason not to go for a buffer tank / mains pump is we don't have a garage and we would need use up space downstairs (which we could but we don't have much and would prefer to keep the space)

Anyone think any other reasons why we would go for a buffer tank / pump?

Bonus question: has anyone installed a A2W heat pump water cynlinder on a first floor - the run would be slightly longer but again would prefer to keep the space downstairs...

Thanks

Comments

shianto wrote: »
    I have taken a look at other threads, but I cannot see any strong reason for going with mains pumped + a buffer tank.

Ironically I grew up in a country without attic tanks, but as the mains pressure here requires a pump either way for the house I am refurbishing, I am going to run with the following:

*Attic tank with a pump (rubber feet or hung)
    *pumped showers
    *pumped feed to air to water hot water cylinder (and pumped hot water too consequently).
    *Gravity feed for toilets
    *Gravity feed cold taps

The reason not to go for a buffer tank / mains pump is we don't have a garage and we would need use up space downstairs (which we could but we don't have much and would prefer to keep the space)

Anyone think any other reasons why we would go for a buffer tank / pump?

Bonus question: has anyone installed a A2W heat pump water cynlinder on a first floor - the run would be slightly longer but again would prefer to keep the space downstairs...

Thanks

It’s a break tank and it serves a purpose, the break tank should be sized to meet the pumped water requirements, if you don’t size it properly you run out of water to be pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shianto

gary71 wrote: »
    It’s a break tank and it serves a purpose, the break tank should be sized to meet the pumped water requirements, if you don’t size it properly you run out of water to be pumped.

Thanks. I think my post was a bit confusing (possibly because I used 'buffer' instead of 'break' tank)

I am trying to decide between

a) pumped mains with a break tank

v.s.

b) traditional attic tank with a pump to pressurise the house.

My conclusion was to go the traditional attic tank due to save space downstairs and also as not much benefit from having 'fresh' mains water in the upstairs taps, but I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something...

shianto wrote: »
    Thanks. I think my post was a bit confusing (possibly because I used 'buffer' instead of 'break' tank)

I am trying to decide between

a) pumped mains with a break tank

v.s.

b) traditional attic tank with a pump to pressurise the house.

My conclusion was to go the traditional attic tank due to save space downstairs and also as not much benefit from having 'fresh' mains water in the upstairs taps, but I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something...

A and B are the same thing, your storing water to feed a pump the thing that changes is the amount you wish to pump, the less gravity you use the larger the stored cold water is required to feed the increasing outlets.

Advertisement