Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reliability of new model Insignia?

Options
  • 14-04-2019 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Anyone know about the reliability of the new model insignia? Sister in law went from a 09 Insignia which had terrible reliability issues to surprisingly enough another Insignia, a brand new one.

Was sitting in it today and it's a lovely car, lots of toys. Maybe Opel have improved it after the troublesome 1st model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.6 ‘whisper diesel’ is out a while now and I haven’t heard any reports of them being bad.
    I think the new insignia is a fine car and is in my mind just the right size for the segment. Cars keep getting bigger for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anyone know about the reliability of the new model insignia? Sister in law went from a 09 Insignia which had terrible reliability issues to surprisingly enough another Insignia, a brand new one.

Was sitting in it today and it's a lovely car, lots of toys. Maybe Opel have improved it after the troublesome 1st model.
    Honest John car reviews have most motors covered plus owners reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057957882/1/#post109523588

Posts here in this Mokka thread weren't too positive about the 1.6 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hard to know really as they are not around in huge numbers. Opels in general are out of fashion these days, the competition is too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The new one looks very good imo.
    I think they are too pricey though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

mickdw wrote: »
    The new one looks very good imo.
    I think they are too pricey though

If you tolerate a Vauxhall badge they are great value in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

Always wondered how cheap/easy it would be to replace with Opel badges? Just the exterior and steering wheel ones?

Don't see the point in changing the badges to be honest, it will still be listed as a Vauxhall on the car's registration cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

You don't see the logbook while you're driving or when you get in and out of your car :)
    But probably the most important is the speedo dial that needs to be converted to km/h (unless the car comes with an all screen dashboard that can be switched).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

They always look well on the back of a tow truck,best place for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They always look well on the back of a tow truck,best place for them

When I was car-hunting back around Christmas I noticed an incredible amount of very fresh Insignias for sale for small money. I imagine there's a reason for that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

jimgoose wrote:
    When I was car-hunting back around Christmas I noticed an incredible amount of very fresh Insignias for sale for small money. I imagine there's a reason for that.

The Insignia is a very good car - loads of them driving around that have done very high mileage. They are no less reliable than any other similar type of car out there. The latest "facelifted" version is bland looking compared to the earlier design. Opel cars, particularly the larger models, tend not to hold their value that well. You could say the same about Renault, Ford and Fiat who all produce great cars. The fact of the matter is that there are no longer any cars being produced that could be described as bad or unreliable because standards of engineering and design have evolved to a uniformly high standard across the motor industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

jimgoose wrote: »
    When I was car-hunting back around Christmas I noticed an incredible amount of very fresh Insignias for sale for small money. I imagine there's a reason for that. :pac:

If it's too good to be true it usually is,the amount of times I have heard it's a cheap car,gearbox and engine 100% it is cheap for a reason somebody is getting rid of a ball of scutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The old model is certainly very poor, but is the new model any better? Did they learn from their mistakes?

Thing is though the new models are relatively rare as so many have heard the horror stories of the old one.

There is a known problem with the 2.0 diesel, there is a seal in the oil pump that perishes and the oil pressure drops, not enough to light up the oil pressure light and error message, but enough to cause significant damage. And when the error finally pops up it's usually too late. Also, replacing the seal it's a pretty big job even though the seal itself is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

There's a garage in Navan and their bread and butter earners would be rebuilding Opel/Vauxhall engines.

West coast engine rebuilds in Galway do a rake of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The term "engine rebuild" is open to interpretation. In many cases this could mean replacing the timing belt and water pump which is a routine maintenance job.

I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

chicorytip wrote: »
    The term "engine rebuild" is open to interpretation. In many cases this could mean replacing the timing belt and water pump which is a routine maintenance job.
    i have never heard anyone descript a timing belt and water pump change as a engine rebuilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Insignia is a very good car - loads of them driving around that have done very high mileage. They are no less reliable than any other similar type of car out there. The latest "facelifted" version is bland looking compared to the earlier design. Opel cars, particularly the larger models, tend not to hold their value that well. You could say the same about Renault, Ford and Fiat who all produce great cars. The fact of the matter is that there are no longer any cars being produced that could be described as bad or unreliable because standards of engineering and design have evolved to a uniformly high standard across the motor industry.

Such nonsense. There’s a reason they are cheaper than the equivalent from other makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Cordell wrote: »
    There is a known problem with the 2.0 diesel, there is a seal in the oil pump that perishes and the oil pressure drops, not enough to light up the oil pressure light and error message, but enough to cause significant damage. And when the error finally pops up it's usually too late. Also, replacing the seal it's a pretty big job even though the seal itself is cheap.

Same 2.0 engine is in Zafira Tourer's so is it safe to assume that they are subject to same risk ?

It's very likely to have the same problem if it's the same engine code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Crazy that they don't seem to have rectified things with the new model - was a good opportunity to repair the brand and get some good word out.

Would be hard to see them releasing a 3rd gen version.

Crazy that they don't seem to have rectified things with the new model - was a good opportunity to repair the brand and get some good word out.

The should have renamed that model :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The should have renamed that model :confused:

Just gone back to plain old vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

But is the new model actually giving any trouble?

They are not the only ones that have engines prone to catastrophic failure, but compared to other cases the preventive maintenance while not cheap is not very expensive and quite accessible to DIY if you know what you're doing and have the proper tools. Unlike, let's say, BMW N47 failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Rebuilding the engine is a waste of time because the bearing shells seize to the rotating crank, spin in the cap/block ruining the fit required for the new shells.

• Advertisement

A proper rebuild will take care of that if possible, or else discard the engine for scrap.

Advertisement