Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin (?) identification

Options
  • 29-03-2019 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

I dug this up today, I'm wondering what it is/was.
    Obviously the worse for being in the ground.

Pics here, very little detail except one side which has what looks like script.

https://imgur.com/a/Thbp9YA

Weighs 4.9 grams, very thin, not iron based (can't pick up with a magnet) and may have been copper coated at some point (tinges of green).

Any ideas/pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

looks like a Dublin Halfpenny token, Camac Kyan & Camac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

signostic wrote: »
    looks like a Dublin Halfpenny token, Camac Kyan & Camac

You're a star, that's what it is.

More detail from this adverts.ie listing for anybody interested.
    This is an Copper Halfpenny token with a value of half a penny (1/2d). Often the workers were paid in currency produced by a landowner or company and could only spend the tokens in shops that were owned by the company. In the late 18th Century there was a shortage of small value coinage throughout Ireland and Britain, a demand for small value coins arose from the “Industrial Revolution”.
    The H.M.co, along with many other companies in Britain and Ireland decided to mint their own coins to pay their workers. The H.M.co tokens were issued between 1792 and 1797. There are different varieties of these tokens.
    In general the mines of East Avoca were owned by British companies, loyal to the Crown, AIMC (Associated Irish Mine Company) and the mines of West Avoca were owned by Irish companies, H.M.co (Hibernian Mine Company). AIMC is also famous for the minting of the ‘Cronebane Token’ also worth a half penny.

Advertisement