Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Searching

Options
  • 28-08-2018 11:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Out this Friday, 92%on rotten tomatoes.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A trailer would be useful for the thread; it looks an interesting premise, but the format comes off like a waste of a cinema trip. Better suited for streaming perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Really looking forward to this. The screen gimmick doesn't sway me one way or another but it's seemingly a top thriller and you can't beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Seems interesting. Looks like a novel way of telling the story. 

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Liked this more than I was expecting (it's been 'that John Cho film that isn't Columbus' when I've been perusing the release schedule :pac:). There's definitely problems: there's a few red herrings / twists too far as a whodunnit; there's a few parts that kinda stretch the computer screen gimmick (even by US heli chase standards, some of those news images are a tad intrusive!); and really there's not a whole lot of surprises in the material.

Importantly though, it's told well: the opening montage establishes the characters and premise really well (think the - mild spoiler comparison to another film -
    opening of Up
    , through the medium of the Windows XP desktop), the drama remains straightforward but nicely character focused, and even with a few less convincing twists the central thriller narrative is absolutely engaging. Cho is a talented chap, able to hold much of the film on his own.

The premise also works well throughout aside from the odd lapse in the gimmick. The use of actual, familiar operating systems and apps make it all much more convincing - kudos to the filmmakers for making sequences like 'resetting a Gmail password through an old Yahoo account' the stuff of solid tension. I spent relatively little of the film thinking 'THAT'S NOT HOW THAT PROGRAMME WORKS!' which is a considerable step beyond most portrayals of modern technology in movies! Nice little cinematography decisions like focusing in on certain parts of the screen make sure everything feels visually dynamic.

If I was going to compare it to anything, I wouldn't compare it to other films at all. To me, this is a filmic treatment of the sort of thing we've seen in a few of the more interesting narrative-focused video games in recent years. Games like Her Story, Gone Home, Pony Island, Emily is Alone, Analogue: A Hate Story and quite a few others are all about teasing out stories about people through engaging with an environment, or in several cases an actual faux OS. Her Story in particular is relevant here - a thriller where you have to pick up on cues and hints to unlock further revelations. Hard to tell how much (if at all) Aneesh Chaganty was influenced by games, but really interesting to see storytelling techniques developed in games work their way into another medium!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Liked this more than I was expecting (it's been 'that John Cho film that isn't Columbus' when I've been perusing the release schedule :pac:). There's definitely problems: there's a few red herrings / twists too far as a whodunnit; there's a few parts that kinda stretch the computer screen gimmick (even by US heli chase standards, some of those news images are a tad intrusive!); and really there's not a whole lot of surprises in the material.

Importantly though, it's told well: the opening montage establishes the characters and premise really well (think the - mild spoiler comparison to another film -
    opening of Up
    , through the medium of the Windows XP desktop), the drama remains straightforward but nicely character focused, and even with a few less convincing twists the central thriller narrative is absolutely engaging. Cho is a talented chap, able to hold much of the film on his own.

The premise also works well throughout aside from the odd lapse in the gimmick. The use of actual, familiar operating systems and apps make it all much more convincing - kudos to the filmmakers for making sequences like 'resetting a Gmail password through an old Yahoo account' the stuff of solid tension. I spent relatively little of the film thinking 'THAT'S NOT HOW THAT PROGRAMME WORKS!' which is a considerable step beyond most portrayals of modern technology in movies! Nice little cinematography decisions like focusing in on certain parts of the screen make sure everything feels visually dynamic.

If I was going to compare it to anything, I wouldn't compare it to other films at all. To me, this is a filmic treatment of the sort of thing we've seen in a few of the more interesting narrative-focused video games in recent years. Games like Her Story, Gone Home, Pony Island, Emily is Alone, Analogue: A Hate Story and quite a few others are all about teasing out stories about people through engaging with an environment, or in several cases an actual faux OS. Her Story in particular is relevant here - a thriller where you have to pick up on cues and hints to unlock further revelations. Hard to tell how much (if at all) Aneesh Chaganty was influenced by games, but really interesting to see storytelling techniques developed in games work their way into another medium!

Re: comparisons to other films, the elephant in the room is surely Bekmambetov's Unfriended from 2014? Certainly the only film I've seen which has managed to convincingly keep the action to windows on a computer screen. If you've seen both, how do you think they compare, Johnny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw this the other night, thought it was a fantastic film. Like mentioned previously, the use of modern technology and social media was pretty spot on. I was a big fan of Unfriended, which did the same approach of using the computer screen to tell the story. Think Searching did it just that bit better.

Got a proper laugh off the enormously long, heated text he typed, only to delete it all straight away. Think we've all done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I saw it last night and thought it was terrific. Such a clever movie - a great story with a beginning, middle and end. It never got boring and the attention to detail was superb.

The technology component in this was realistic and grounded (not a linux console window in sight).

I was holding my breath and had goosebumps during several scenes in the last 15 minutes.

Great movie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's a great AMA here on reddit with the film makers. FWIW, they indeed were inspired by 'Gone Home' and 'Her Story' as johnny_ultimate suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Very enjoyable and well made thriller. It's very of it's time and some of the urls were lost on me (YouCast anyone?) so you could see how a father who is no technophobe could still not be aware of some of these sites. Very tongue in cheek when it comes to the fame wannabes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Just saw this. Really good. Different and enjoyable. Says something about shallowness of online world. Kinda like me posting this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was planning to go see this tomorrow, but it appears tonight at 11.00 is the last showing in Coolock, so will have to go tonight.
    Might fit in 'King of Thieves' before it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enjoyed this a lot. Edge of the seat stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw this today...i thought it was excellent... I was literally on edge of my seat for parts of it.
    A lot more successfully done than unfriended, which I found pretty irritating and predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I watched this today and liked it a lot more than I thought I would.
    I did figure out the cop's son did it when the father rang her from the lake at 4 in the morning and the policewoman got out of bed in a big panic and went straight to her car in her pyjamas.
    though it didn't spoil the movie for me at all as it was all done so well. Also
    the bit at the end where he texts his daughter "Mom would have been proud of you"
    made me all emotional, I damn near cried!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just watched this, thought it was excellent. It's actually one of my favourite movies of the year, so a couple of small plot holes can easily be forgiven. Did get a laugh out of
    the guy who wouldn't admit his whereabouts only to then say it was a Justin Bieber concert
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Just watched it, thought it was excellent, very tense, engaging and emotional from the opening credits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Just got around to this. Excellent movie. Novel concept brilliantly executed. Nice tight story that keeps you engaged, despite the unconventional approach, with some unexpected twists and turns. Interesting exploration on what it means to be connected in to someone. A cracking mystery mystery/thriller.

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave it a watch! Thought it was done very well. Great use of new (and some older) technologies in a film.

Plot wasn't ground-breaking but was enough of a rollercoaster to do the job.

Advertisement