Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I've a similar issue. Mine are 330 and 470 sqm. Have dithered quite a bit and haven't taken the plunge yet. My latest thinking is something like Ambrogio Twenty Elite using two charge points and hopping the machine across every two days.
    The alternative may be to simply install two Ambrogio Twenty DeLuxe.
    https://www.ambrogiorobot.com/en/models

Thought I would have to decide recently but the ride on got a reprieve.
    Note you have a good bit of kerb and that will still need to be trimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

New to this but wondering if you could help me. Don't realy want to buy a ride on due to storage etc. Our front lawn is split into 2 sections, seperated by the driveway as you can see from the picture. What are my options given that the lawnmower cant go across the driveway?

Are the lawns connected around the side/back of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

KCross wrote: »
    Are the lawns connected around the side/back of the house?

Nope unfortunately 😞 . Back is fenced off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Nope unfortunately �� . Back is fenced off

I dug an underpass under my fence (post/rail fence) to let the mower move from the front to the back. You wouldnt even notice its there until you see the mower going under it.

Could you do something like that?

If there is no way to let the mower drive between the two lawns you are looking at manually dropping it between the lawns a few times a week... which defeats the purpose of having the robot, imo.

Well, you could start with one and if you had a bit of money in a few years, buy a second machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

One is 220m sq and the other one is 280m sq

Two of these landriods for just shy of 1k, I now have two, a M300 and a M2000. I had the M2000 crossing the driveway with ramps originally but some near misses and now its more damp it was causing some outside the wire errors so I just got a 2nd one. I control both with the same app and they are easy to setup.

https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/worx-landroid-s300-wr130e-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

krissovo wrote: »
    Two of these landriods for just shy of 1k, I now have two, a M300 and a M2000. I had the M2000 crossing the driveway with ramps originally but some near misses and now its more damp it was causing some outside the wire errors so I just got a 2nd one. I control both with the same app and they are easy to setup.

How do you find those machines? Happy with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hopefully be starting on a self build at start of next year . Big site over 1 acre. I had always planned on buying a ride on but now I’m considering the robot option .
    I want to ask a few basic questions having read back a few pages
    1. How do they charge ? Do I need to make sure I have an electric point in the garden or are they solar charged ?
    2. Should I make sure the Main Front garden “loops” around The back to connect With the other strip ? Thinking about this I should probably do it anyway for a ride on
    3. There is a significant fall on the site at the moment . There is like to be a slope in back garden. Is this an issue ?
    4 . Are they not easy to steal ?
    5. Average cost (I know this is a how long is a piece of string type Q) in comparison to mid range ride on

Thanks for any help

How do you find those machines? Happy with them?

With the latest firmware update they are very capable machines and I am really happy with them, our lawns looks like a golf fairways. The older firmware had issues with outside the wire but now I find they are 99% reliable. The app is really good and very simple to use.

The edge cut is a nice feature and I have added the collision avoidance module on the big lawn so it moves out the way of the kids toys.

There are some minor negatives, if your perimeter is on a slope or there are sharp corners the way it follows the wire can cause the wheels to dig into the lawn so I have 4 or 5 small patches where the wheels have dug into the grass.

km79 wrote: »
    Hopefully be starting on a self build at start of next year . Big site over 1 acre. I had always planned on buying a ride on but now I’m considering the robot option .
    I want to ask a few basic questions having read back a few pages
    1. How do they charge ? Do I need to make sure I have an electric point in the garden or are they solar charged ?
    2. Should I make sure the Main Front garden “loops” around The back to connect With the other strip ? Thinking about this I should probably do it anyway for a ride on
    3. There is a significant fall on the site at the moment . There is like to be a slope in back garden. Is this an issue ?
    4 . Are they not easy to steal ?
    5. Average cost (I know this is a how long is a piece of string type Q) in comparison to mid range ride on

Thanks for any help
    1 Yes an electrical plug.
    2 Yes at design stage, connect all lawn areas.
    3 Slope should be no problem
    4 Not really, all makes have a PIN so useless to a thief. Larger models will alert if they're moved or picked up.
    5 Cost probably the same as a ride on.

Just think of the time freed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’ve heard they don’t work in the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Water John wrote: »
    1 Yes an electrical plug.
    2 Yes at design stage, connect all lawn areas.
    3 Slope should be no problem
    4 Not really, all makes have a PIN so useless to a thief. Larger models will alert if they're moved or picked up.
    5 Cost probably the same as a ride on.

Just think of the time freed up.

Thanks that’s very helpful
    I enjoy cutting the lawn and have always wanted a ride on tbh
    But due to change in job I no longer have as much time during the summer and the site is HUGE

I am strongly considering this option now .
    Free up the shed for a pool table :D

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I’ve heard they don’t work in the rain?

They work fine in the rain, mine are out when its raining if needed. There is a setting in the app for a rain delay but this can be switched off to allow cutting. The only issue with rain is if you have a perimeter on a steep slope, when wet the rear driven landroid can struggle with grip and dig the wheels into the ground or front can swing outside the boundary. Its no problem on a gentle slope or flat lawn.

This gives you an idea what your looking for.
    https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/robotic-mowers/#products

You probably need the 550.

https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/Ambrogio-Robotic-Lawnmowers.html

Or the 250 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

KCross wrote: »
    Im a bit hesistant to give you that advice from my keyboard, just in case its not the same issue. :)

That part arrived today. Fitted over lunch and my machine is up and running
    (silently) again. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

So I wired up another battery to my worx. 5hrs mowing time now. Just wondering what do people think the optimum mowing height is?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    So I wired up another battery to my worx. 5hrs mowing time now. Just wondering what do people think the optimum mowing height is?

I can see that being handy now the rain delay is kicking in a lot more and the ground getting softer. How did you fix it to the landroid? I assume you wired them in parallel.

I set mine to 40, perfect for the kids playing football/hurling or soccer, any shorter I find the wheels cut up the lawn too much now its getting softer on the perimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hey all, have people got covers. garages for the mowers when they are in the charging station or are people just leaving them out to the elements ?

A lot make their own little hut. The optional ones are usually dear and flimsy looking, just an over head protector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

dashoonage wrote: »
    Hey all, have people got covers. garages for the mowers when they are in the charging station or are people just leaving them out to the elements ?

For my Gardena Sileno I got the Garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

For my Gardena Sileno I got the Garage.

How is the Gardena going?

I have a "Flat" slope that is about 20% but a little steeper at some places but less than 30%
    I have been looking at mowers that can do up to 35% but wondering if it is enough. or would i need one that can do 40% slope?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

obriendj wrote: »
    How is the Gardena going?

I have a "Flat" slope that is about 20% but a little steeper at some places but less than 30%
    I have been looking at mowers that can do up to 35% but wondering if it is enough. or would i need one that can do 40% slope?

Thanks

I couldnt offer advice

I have a the Gardena Sileno 1000m2 cutting an 80m2 Garden thats flat as a pancake.... Complete Overkill but Garden is looking perfect at 4cm.

It's part of my Smart home as a luxury rather then a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

I can see that being handy now the rain delay is kicking in a lot more and the ground getting softer. How did you fix it to the landroid? I assume you wired them in parallel.

I set mine to 40, perfect for the kids playing football/hurling or soccer, any shorter I find the wheels cut up the lawn too much now its getting softer on the perimeter.

Couple of pics.

It's a POC, but it might just stay that way :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpdwh7p5k554orp/Screenshot%202020-09-09%20at%2014.24.55.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqfvsurfa2anphs/Screenshot%202020-09-09%20at%2014.24.46.png?dl=0

Wired in parallel, only two wires required, other versions of worx needs a third for discharge but working ok so far with the two.

Left it at 50 after, grass is looking well so why rock the boat.

Just wondering for those constructing rooves(roofs) how does it sense the rain if it's hiding, or does it just go out and think "oh balls raining" and go back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TV4Ever

Great thread - helped me decide to go for a landroid m1000. Question for anyone that may be able to help - does the connector at the end of the charging base come off? I’m lookong to put the transformer in the garage and drill a hole in the wall. I did see some posts that the husqvarna one comes off easy enough so just wondering if anyone has done the same with the landroid.

TV4Ever wrote: »
    Great thread - helped me decide to go for a landroid m1000. Question for anyone that may be able to help - does the connector at the end of the charging base come off

There is a waterproof connector a couple of feet from the plug and transformer. Its about 12mm wide so not too big to drill a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Just wondering for those constructing rooves(roofs) how does it sense the rain if it's hiding, or does it just go out and think "oh balls raining" and go back in.

I've got a Landroid M1000 on the way to me at the moment. While researching I came across a German forum for robot mowers. A lot of the guys there make their own garages with mini gutters that drop rain onto the sensor inside the garage. Mower doesn't even have to leave to know it's raining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

has anyone actually bought a timber garage for one from anywhere? rather than making one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭glog

glog wrote: »
    I have a brand new Husky 430X Charging station complete with transformer, 10m cable and anchor bolts which is surplus to my requirements.
    It is unopened, in original packaging - Cork area.
    PM me if it you are in the market for this.
    Cheers,
    gLo

Still available if anyone is on the lookout.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Ok have my first proper robot question. Got an ambrogio installed last Friday all seems to be going well then I noticed. During the night when the robot is stationary and fully charged is is leaving the base going a few feet and returning to base. To the extent the lawn is cutting up. Also this morning it was due to start at 7 checked at 7:30 and it was still leaving the base and returning practically immediately.

• Advertisement

Ignore the state of the lawn as its reclaimed from being overgrown but does anyone who has a post and rail fence have a solution for keeping small pets in the garden but allows the robot through? My landroid does a great job of cutting around the fence and as there is lawn in front of the fence I would like it to be cut by the mower.

I was thinking of putting up a brush strip or a chain curtain that will allow the mower through but limit a small dog but it would be great to hear from anyone who might have done similar.

This is the fence and the lawn in front

526280.jpg

Advertisement