Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio stations of the past

Options
  • 14-09-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Anyone remmber some of the old radio stations that used to be on air?

Dunno why this jumped into my head, but I remember the likes of
    "Sunshine 101" and "Century 100"...

Sunshine used to have a competition...if ye answered the phone saying "I listen to the red hot sounds of sunshine 101!

lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Atlantic 252.

The only way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Einstein wrote: »

Sunshine used to have a competition...if ye answered the phone saying "I listen to the red hot sounds of sunshine 101!

lol

yeah I remember Sunshine well, broadcasting from the sands hotel in Portmarnock. The thing that always confused me was the fact that they were illegal, yet they'd give you the address to write to, the phone number etc etc, I could never understand why the cops didn't just raid them - but glad they didn't!

I had great hopes for Rock 104, but it went mainstream very quickly, like Classic hits 98fm - wonder is the writing on the wall for Nova in that respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

253ee..253ee.....253eee..... RADIO DOBBBLIN 253eee.....

BID D.

City radio, all on the MW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

tbh wrote: »
    yeah I remember Sunshine well, broadcasting from the sands hotel in Portmarnock. The thing that always confused me was the fact that they were illegal, yet they'd give you the address to write to, the phone number etc etc, I could never understand why the cops didn't just raid them - but glad they didn't!

I had great hopes for Rock 104, but it went mainstream very quickly, like Classic hits 98fm - wonder is the writing on the wall for Nova in that respect?
    Sunshine was illegal? Never knew that! Didnt know they broadcasted from Sands either! Learn somethin new everyday :P
    Classic hits and Rock104...thems were the days!

I remember listening to the news on century in the car when they said this will be the last broadcast from Century and then just silence...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ABC
    Suirside
    Crystal City Sound
    KCR
    Jolly Roger Radio (Short wave)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

They did raid them once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It wasn't a job for the cops. The P&T did raid them on the 19th May 1983, the day following the raid on Nova (the proper Nova :)).
    No point in trying to hide your address anyway as studio/transmitter locations of most or all pirates would have been in the P&Ts knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Einstein wrote: »

lol

"In your sunshine radio sweatshirt you will never have a care..."

Also Big D, Radio Dublin, ARD..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Heartbeat Radio! (which played loads of soppy music for emotionally unstable sorts back in about 1988)

Radio Nova, Sunshine 101, Energy 103, Atlantic 252, Radio Dublin and, of course, Radio Caroline all spring to mind. As do many of the djs "sexy John" O Hara, Rickdee's, Casey Kasem, Greg Gaughran, Bob Gallico and so many others.

It's amazing what you soak up as a chisler.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

definatly 252, pick it up any where in the country in the car, on any journey more than a few hours you could predict the next song due playing everything on a loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

jeez...bringin back memories...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Hot FM mother****er.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Does anybody remember a radio station named Millennium 88 FM, or Millennium something? It was established in Dublin, if I recall correctly, in 1988 for the 1000th anniversary of Dublin city (remember each household got one of those glass milk bottles with the Dublin logo on them?). It lasted for over a year, I think.

*Warning*: I could be imagining it all!

Haven't a clue about who was behind it or what happened it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Does anybody remember a radio station named Millennium 88 FM, or Millennium something? It was established in Dublin, if I recall correctly, in 1988 for the 1000th anniversary of Dublin city (remember each household got one of those glass milk bottles with the Dublin logo on them?). It lasted for over a year, I think.

Millenium 88FM was an RTE station.

And Century Radio was far, far better before it was "revamped" to become "Century 100"; not least because - unlike its successor Today FM - it wasn't actually on 100FM in most of the country.....AFAIK it was only on 100.3 in Dublin, which made the name a ridiculous choice for a national station.

All that said, though, fond memories of Century Radio.....great station!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Rebelheart wrote: »

Millennium Radio was a special RTE station for Dublin and broadcast from the GPO Arcade from March 1988 to May 1989. Amongst the people associated with the station at one stage or another were: Jimmy Grealey, Gareth O'Callaghan, Declan Meehan, Robbie Irwin, John Clarke, Maxi, Scott Williams, Nails Mahoney (Brian McColl), Bob Gallicoe, Clodagh Walsh and Andrew O'Hanlon.

Other past full-time licenced stations that I remember listening to include: Century Radio, CKR and Atlantic 252.

See *notes below for pirates of the past for pirates marked with an *

Pirates I remember hearing from the '70s:
    *Capitol Radio, Radio Dublin, ARD/Radio 257 and Big D.

Pirates I remember hearing from the '80s:
    Radio Dublin (including Radio Dublin Channel 2), ARD, Big D, *Radio City,Southside Radio, KELO, Sunshine Radio (later 101), Radio Leinster, Radio Nova, *Kiss FM (connected to Nova), Magic 103, Q102/SuperQ, Energy 103, *Capitol/Nitesky Radio, Radio Snowflake, BLB, Radio 3, * Heartbeat, Treble TR, Southside FM, DCR, Dublin South Community Radio, Liberties Radio, Phoenix Radio, * KLAS Radio and CAU (from 1989)

Pirates I remember hearing from the '90s:
    Radio Dublin, NSR, DLR/Hits 106, Melody FM, Coast FM, Sunset FM, *Radio City, Alcatraz, Radioactive, Radio Utopia, Alice's Restaurant, Power FM, ABC Radio, GLR (connected to ABC Radio), * Kiss FM (connected to ABC Radio), *Kiss 103, * Kiss FM, Rhythm FM, Beat FM, Reel FM, Club FM/Vibe FM, Hot 107, Mix 106, * Pulse FM, The Vibe 107, Freedom FM, C101.3, Q95/SuperQ, Radio Dublin Country, Treble TR, Spectrum, Radio Caroline, Hits and Memories 101, * KLAS, *Two Heartbeat FMs, * Choice FM, The Irish Mix, Urban FM, Fresh FM, Jazz FM, Nova (Dance), XFM, Walkinstown Local Radio, Flash FM, Jam FM, Energy 88FM, Phantom FM, Premier FM, FM2000 and ESG FM

Past Pirates I remember hearing from 2000 on:
    Radio Dublin, The Irish Mix, Kic FM, Hot FM, ABC Radio/ABC Dublin, Phantom FM, Premier FM, Walkinstown Local Radio, Nova (Dance), Future FM, Freedom FM, Power FM, C101.3, ESG FM, Energy 94FM, Sun FM, Gem FM, The Zone, The Rock (no relation to licenced 949 The Rock), Sugar FM, * Capital FM, *Pulse FM, *Rhythm FM, *Kiss FM, *Kiss, Klub FM, *Rhythm FM, Space FM, Fun FM, Nova Tribute, Ministry FM, Digital FM, Splash FM, Galaxy FM, The Storm, Liquid FM, Crystal FM, Eight Double Nine, Gravity, Purple FM, * Choice FM, M1Music(?) and Iceradio.

* A number of stations crossed over decades, particularly Radio Dublin, but there were also some stations which were not the same despite the similar names. See below for the different stations with the same names.
    1980's Capitol/Nitesky Radio started life as just Capitol Radio but was not related to '70s Capitol Radio, which I believe went into the '80s. In the 2000's, there was dance pirate Capital FM.
    Kiss or variations: 1980's Kiss FM was part of the Nova stable. In the 1990's, you had Kiss FM - connected to ABC Radio, Kiss 103 - chart-oriented and dance-friendly - and dance pirate Kiss FM. In the 2000's, there was the latter Kiss FM and another dance pirate last year by the name of Kiss.
    Different Radio City - One in '80s and one in '90s
    Different Pulse - PULSE FM in the '90s and PULSE in the '00s - both dance pirates.
    Different Rhythm - Rhythm FM in the '90s and Rhythm in the '00s - both dance pirates.
    Two Choice FMs - one in the '90s and one in the '00s.
    Heartbeat - One in the '80s is relaunched in the '90s. Briefly, at the same time, there is another Heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 macai

Two greats we had down here in Cork

Radio ERI (Can still here the jingle Radio ERI ... In Stereeeeoooo) :)

Or the great Romano (now that was cheese!) on south coast if memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Radio Kilkenny comes to mind . Had some great presenters who just disappeared as far as I can tell - people like Anne Marie Walsh on a Saturday night and Robin Banks who's now massive in the uk. Used to like the guy who did week-end breakfast shows in the early days. Was the first I think to use the name full Irish breakfast. Also people like the late Mike Breen and the late Mike Burke both of whom died before their time. Good and bad memories from 96.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

I remember in school one of the guys in my class was a stand in jock on the mid morning show of Southside Radio and he used bunk off class to do the show then come back after it.
    I also met a guy in college who did a weekend breakfast show down the country. He used go home on a Friday night and on a Saturday morning he had to open up the studio and do his show on his own. His starting time varied depending on when he got up and more than once he didn't make it at all! He used also do the sports results on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon under a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, Radio Dublin tttturn your radio ooonnnn,....tttttwo five threee,
    radio duuuuublin.

ARD, eh Nova and Sunshine too,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

A few seconds of footage of the outside of a former broadcasting location (when under its previous ownership) seen on RTE TV news last night (wed), see attached picture...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

ERI/Radio South/96FM former studios in Whites Cross in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paulwilson

Millennium Radio was a special RTE station for Dublin and broadcast from the GPO Arcade from March 1988 to May 1989. Amongst the people associated with the station at one stage or another were: Jimmy Grealey, Gareth O'Callaghan, Declan Meehan, Robbie Irwin, John Clarke, Maxi, Scott Williams, Nails Mahoney (Brian McColl), Bob Gallicoe, Clodagh Walsh and Andrew O'Hanlon.

Other past full-time licenced stations that I remember listening to include: Century Radio, CKR and Atlantic 252.

See *notes below for pirates of the past for pirates marked with an *

Pirates I remember hearing from the '70s:
    *Capitol Radio, Radio Dublin, ARD/Radio 257 and Big D.

Pirates I remember hearing from the '80s:
    Radio Dublin (including Radio Dublin Channel 2), ARD, Big D, *Radio City,Southside Radio, KELO, Sunshine Radio (later 101), Radio Leinster, Radio Nova, *Kiss FM (connected to Nova), Magic 103, Q102/SuperQ, Energy 103, *Capitol/Nitesky Radio, Radio Snowflake, BLB, Radio 3, * Heartbeat, Treble TR, Southside FM, DCR, Dublin South Community Radio, Liberties Radio, Phoenix Radio, * KLAS Radio and CAU (from 1989)

Pirates I remember hearing from the '90s:
    Radio Dublin, NSR, DLR/Hits 106, Melody FM, Coast FM, Sunset FM, *Radio City, Alcatraz, Radioactive, Radio Utopia, Alice's Restaurant, Power FM, ABC Radio, GLR (connected to ABC Radio), * Kiss FM (connected to ABC Radio), *Kiss 103, * Kiss FM, Rhythm FM, Beat FM, Reel FM, Club FM/Vibe FM, Hot 107, Mix 106, * Pulse FM, The Vibe 107, Freedom FM, C101.3, Q95/SuperQ, Radio Dublin Country, Treble TR, Spectrum, Radio Caroline, Hits and Memories 101, * KLAS, *Two Heartbeat FMs, * Choice FM, The Irish Mix, Urban FM, Fresh FM, Jazz FM, Nova (Dance), XFM, Walkinstown Local Radio, Flash FM, Jam FM, Energy 88FM, Phantom FM, Premier FM, FM2000 and ESG FM

Past Pirates I remember hearing from 2000 on:
    Radio Dublin, The Irish Mix, Kic FM, Hot FM, ABC Radio/ABC Dublin, Phantom FM, Premier FM, Walkinstown Local Radio, Nova (Dance), Future FM, Freedom FM, Power FM, C101.3, ESG FM, Energy 94FM, Sun FM, Gem FM, The Zone, The Rock (no relation to licenced 949 The Rock), Sugar FM, * Capital FM, *Pulse FM, *Rhythm FM, *Kiss FM, *Kiss, Klub FM, *Rhythm FM, Space FM, Fun FM, Nova Tribute, Ministry FM, Digital FM, Splash FM, Galaxy FM, The Storm, Liquid FM, Crystal FM, Eight Double Nine, Gravity, Purple FM, * Choice FM, M1Music(?) and Iceradio.

* A number of stations crossed over decades, particularly Radio Dublin, but there were also some stations which were not the same despite the similar names. See below for the different stations with the same names.
    1980's Capitol/Nitesky Radio started life as just Capitol Radio but was not related to '70s Capitol Radio, which I believe went into the '80s. In the 2000's, there was dance pirate Capital FM.
    Kiss or variations: 1980's Kiss FM was part of the Nova stable. In the 1990's, you had Kiss FM - connected to ABC Radio, Kiss 103 - chart-oriented and dance-friendly - and dance pirate Kiss FM. In the 2000's, there was the latter Kiss FM and another dance pirate last year by the name of Kiss.
    Different Radio City - One in '80s and one in '90s
    Different Pulse - PULSE FM in the '90s and PULSE in the '00s - both dance pirates.
    Different Rhythm - Rhythm FM in the '90s and Rhythm in the '00s - both dance pirates.
    Two Choice FMs - one in the '90s and one in the '00s.
    Heartbeat - One in the '80s is relaunched in the '90s. Briefly, at the same time, there is another Heartbeat.
    , Hits and Memories 101, * KLAS, *Two Heartbeat FMs, *was also fun101 dublin101 then joined forces to become the second heartbeat before finally becoming the Irish mix all Alan hunters names before finally being raided and taken of the air

Advertisement