Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New ram for this year.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What do people look for in a blue Leicester ram? I know they say if your buying mules look for one's with the darkest head so I take it a dark head in the ram must be a good thing? What would u expect till pay for a ram lamb? On a side note I heard off a purebred blue Leicester ram for sale but he's got black wool... would he pass this gene on till his offspring?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Lambman wrote: »
    What do people look for in a blue Leicester ram? I know they say if your buying mules look for one's with the darkest head so I take it a dark head in the ram must be a good thing? What would u expect till pay for a ram lamb? On a side note I heard off a purebred blue Leicester ram for sale but he's got black wool... would he pass this gene on till his offspring?

I was told at the mule sale in Ballinrobe last Friday that the ones with the browner heads are better breeders. But then 95% of sheep had real dark heads so this may not be the case. I don't know what you would pay for a Blue Leicester Ram lamb but I think I seen somewhere that there is a sale of them in Ballinrobe shortly. I think a good few of them lads breeding Mules have pedegree blue Leicester flocks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I was told at the mule sale in Ballinrobe last Friday that the ones with the browner heads are better breeders. But then 95% of sheep had real dark heads so this may not be the case. I don't know what you would pay for a Blue Leicester Ram lamb but I think I seen somewhere that there is a sale of them in Ballinrobe shortly. I think a good few of them lads breeding Mules have pedegree blue Leicester flocks too.

A lot go up north for them too. They say for there to be no wool on front of nevk on them but theyre almost all like that at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

This lad arrived from Scotland yesterday. Logie Texel

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

razor8 wrote: »

Great sheep.
    Did u go over and pick him or just ring them? Much hassle to importing him?

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Great sheep.
    Did u go over and pick him or just ring them? Much hassle to importing him?

Bought him pre logie farm sale from records & videos/pics at home on my computer. All paperwork was sorted from there side. He arrived 15mins from me yesterday but came most of the way on a licensed haulage lorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭DJ98

Are the logies not just a crossbred sheep?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Are the logies not just a crossbred sheep?

Some but not all, they keep pure texels Suffolk's, Charolais's and blue Leicesters

razor8 wrote: »
    Some but not all, they keep pure texels Suffolk's, Charolais's and blue Leicesters

Whats specyal about a logie

• Advertisement

Know a few guys that are using them and impressed so far

I just buy into their recording, figures & fact they haven't seen a bag of meal. My lad is suppposed to be in top 1% of uk texels for 4 traits.

I guess it il be next year before I know how he fairs out

From an article in the journal a couple of weeks ago :

'' The Logie rams were bred by Logie Durno Farm in north Scotland.

They are a hybrid of Durno (Texel and Charollais genetics) and Lleyn genetics and are marketed on their maternal attributes and Joe feels that this is a better cross for the Mule ewes.

“I looked at a lot of different options and the Logie rams appealed most. I really liked that they bring a bit of extra size and frame to the mix but still possess easy lambing characteristics."''

That's how I got the idea they were crossbreds, is logie the name of the farm then and not the breed?

DJ98 wrote: »
    From an article in the journal a couple of weeks ago :

'' The Logie rams were bred by Logie Durno Farm in north Scotland.

They are a hybrid of Durno (Texel and Charollais genetics) and Lleyn genetics and are marketed on their maternal attributes and Joe feels that this is a better cross for the Mule ewes.

“I looked at a lot of different options and the Logie rams appealed most. I really liked that they bring a bit of extra size and frame to the mix but still possess easy lambing characteristics."''

That's how I got the idea they were crossbreds, is logie the name of the farm then and not the breed?

Both

Check out there website and you'll see for yourself

http://www.logiedurnosheep.co.uk

I'm noticing mule hoggets making great money at breeding sales this year compared till recent ones... what's that down till? I know there very prolific but there mad hungry aswell I've a few here so know there good and bad points more good than bad I will agmit.. seen some mule hoggets making north off the €200 mark and a very high clearance over all mule hoggets... makes u think when u see old horned ewes sold off the hill correct for breeding from €20- €40 is there a pound till be made keeping enough off them for 1 blue Leicester ram lamb that you'll pick up for €300- €400 and try and make a pound outta it?

I'm noticing mule hoggets making great money at breeding sales this year compared till recent ones... what's that down till? I know there very prolific but there mad hungry aswell I've a few here so know there good and bad points more good than bad I will agmit.. seen some mule hoggets making north off the €200 mark and a very high clearance over all mule hoggets... makes u think when u see old horned ewes sold off the hill correct for breeding from €20- €40 is there a pound till be made keeping enough off them for 1 blue Leicester ram lamb that you'll pick up for €300- €400 and try and make a pound outta it?
    Imo no. Youd wantto have a big scelp of land. Them blackface ewes them boys have are really good quality and gour not going to get a good bfl for that money

I've commonage that's not heavily stocked I'm only talking 40 ewes would be enuf for a lamb... yea I know there good stock that's making that money but it was the clearance % that surprised me never seen 1 lot taken home in 2 breeding sales so the farmers are paying for mules and the breeders must be happy with there prices or they'd be taking them home... I'm fairly sure ud get a good blue Leicester ram lamb for that money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Reckon it's the Lanark crosses thats making the top money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I've commonage that's not heavily stocked I'm only talking 40 ewes would be enuf for a lamb... yea I know there good stock that's making that money but it was the clearance % that surprised me never seen 1 lot taken home in 2 breeding sales so the farmers are paying for mules and the breeders must be happy with there prices or they'd be taking them home... I'm fairly sure ud get a good blue Leicester ram lamb for that money!

The BFL sale is on in ballinrobe on Saturday and I'm fairly sure you'll be down round the bottom end of the trade at 3-400. You'd probably be looking at a lot going for nearly twice that 5-600. You'll pick up a ram lamb at the 3-400 but will he be good enough.

I don't think you'll be breeding them good mules with the €40 broken mouth cull either. The ewe to breed them could be nearer to €100 for an aged ewe.

Then factor in half the lambs are ram lambs and half the ewe lambs no matter how good the ewe and ram are won't be the real nice sheep making the big money.

With 40 ewes say you have a spectacular return of 80 lambs. You then have 40 ewe lambs with maybe 20 nice ones and 20 only worth as much as any other ewe lamb. Really you want to be running bigger numbers to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LambMaster

Anybody changing the rams this year? What are you selling? why are you selling? What are you buying till replace it ram same breed or try a new breed? I've till get rid off 2 texels 1 is old the other I'm just not happy with! Still gonna keep my charrlois for the hoggets and a few old timers that I don't want till have a hard lambing... Hampshire down seems till keep popping up as great rams but I just don't like the look a them or there lambs off crossbred ewes... but farming is a business not a beauty contest so I might be tempted till buy 1.... don't like keeping a suffolk ram I like keeping the suffolk in the ewes side... tried beltex ram and yea no bother lambing and no bother in the field but not long enough in my opinion so factoried all lambs ewes and all killed out pretty well but would have the charrlois well ahead a them... neighbour off mine put me off vendeens as he kept replacements off his ram and had alot of bother with prolapses in them or maybe thst was just a bad ram?
    Usually the Vendeen crosses are grand, from my experience they are easier lambers than Texel and Suffolk etc. What was he crossing them with? You do need to be picky when choosing your replacements as some of the Vendeen can be very prone to bad feet. I'm trying some Lleyn ewe lambs with one of my Vendeen rams this year. Hopefully the lambs will have a bit more meat on them than the Lleyn.

• Advertisement

The BFL sale is on in ballinrobe on Saturday and I'm fairly sure you'll be down round the bottom end of the trade at 3-400. You'd probably be looking at a lot going for nearly twice that 5-600. You'll pick up a ram lamb at the 3-400 but will he be good enough.

I don't think you'll be breeding them good mules with the €40 broken mouth cull either. The ewe to breed them could be nearer to €100 for an aged ewe.

Then factor in half the lambs are ram lambs and half the ewe lambs no matter how good the ewe and ram are won't be the real nice sheep making the big money.

With 40 ewes say you have a spectacular return of 80 lambs. You then have 40 ewe lambs with maybe 20 nice ones and 20 only worth as much as any other ewe lamb. Really you want to be running bigger numbers to make it worthwhile.
    Agree with a lot of what yous saying but 40 ewes at €40 a piece €1600 €400 for ram that's €2000 your out... if you wean 1.5 sell the 30 rams off grass for €60 thats €1800 sell the old ewes hopefully get €30 a piece for them that's €1200.... keep the ewe lambs on for another year and sell and average €140 for 30 that's €4200 and sell ur hogget BFL for €400.... €2000 spent and €7600 back less expenses which would just be wintering your ewe lambs along with the usual dosing dipping clipping and the likes during the summer.

Agree with a lot of what yous saying but 40 ewes at €40 a piece €1600 €400 for ram that's €2000 your out... if you wean 1.5 sell the 30 rams off grass for €60 thats €1800 sell the old ewes hopefully get €30 a piece for them that's €1200.... keep the ewe lambs on for another year and sell and average €140 for 30 that's €4200 and sell ur hogget BFL for €400.... €2000 spent and €7600 back less expenses which would just be wintering your ewe lambs along with the usual dosing dipping clipping and the likes during the summer.

Those figures sound good but if you sold the ewe lambs for €80 you would have nearly as much profit in one year as keeping them to hoggets.

If you keep them until hoggets your lamb sales averages at €150 per ewe. If you sell the lambs your lamb sales averages at €105. That leaves you €45 extra per ewe for keeping 0.75 ewe lambs over a winter. Allow it costs €40 to keep the ewe lamb (€30 per ewe) over the winter until now that leaves €15 extra for your extra work. If you lose 1 over the winter your extra profit will be down to about a tenner.

You would probably make more with a good texel ram selling the ram lambs and hilltex ewe lambs for the same kind of outlay.

I'd lamb them late like first week off April because I'd be keeping the ewe lambs on till hoggets so no point in lambing early... so you wouldn't see €80 for the ewe lambs as they'd be that bit smaller than a mid March lambing flock but I get were your coming from and it's an angle I didn't think know about till be honest.

I'd lamb them late like first week off April because I'd be keeping the ewe lambs on till hoggets so no point in lambing early... so you wouldn't see €80 for the ewe lambs as they'd be that bit smaller than a mid March lambing flock but I get were your coming from and it's an angle I didn't think know about till be honest.

Check out the will there be anybody lambing thread for debate on it. If you keep the ewe lambs to hoggets the small margins to be made buying ewe lambs to sell as hoggets is your extra profit for keeping ewe lambs nearly an extra year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

We had the same idea. Buy cheap horny ewes to breed mules for ourselves. They were generally a disaster. Could hardly rear their lambs. Tried them on good grass they scoured like fook. Tried them on hilly ground they went thin and dry. We factoried them and got what we paid for them but it's not as easy as u may think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭joe35

Nope they weren't split till day they went for ram and just closed off first 20 that ran into the pen no special selecting and both groups were back together after 6 weeks.... no ewes were barren in either lot.

Would the 20 that ran into the pen not be in better form. Always a way of sorting out ewes especially on the hill, just keep the last few back as the generally wouldn't be as good a sheep

• Advertisement

Anybody change rams this year? Will be looking for another charrlois... probably buy a ram lamb... 1 texel hogget ram currently running with a hand full off hoggets but nothing tipped out 6 days now... was used as a lamb but with another ram lamb so hope he's fertile... early yet for tupping maybe ewes aren't coming on is the problem.

Anybody change rams this year? Will be looking for another charrlois... probably buy a ram lamb... 1 texel hogget ram currently running with a hand full off hoggets but nothing tipped out 6 days now... was used as a lamb but with another ram lamb so hope he's fertile... early yet for tupping maybe ewes aren't coming on is the problem.

His fertility won't affect whether anything gets tipped. They'll just get tipped for several cycles if he's firing blanks.

Of course he could be gay. If he is find a bleeding heart liberal gay animal rights activist and casually mention factorying him and he'll be the most valuable ram you have.

It's early though so that's more likely to be your problem. Also a handful of hoggets sounds like a small bunch. Even in the height of the season you could get the majority of a small bunch tipping the second week the ram is out.

Yea I near hope he turns out like Benji the bull was it haha.... yea I know it's early and there well.bred texel hoggets not pure but we'll bred... hopefully he'll do some damage over the next fortnight or he's getting the p45 and Mr charrlois will.get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Bought 5 texel and 1 belclare hogget rams and sold 4 easycare rams as iv daughters out if them, might try a beltex if i see one that i like,
    Culled very hard on the ewes this year, tipping the easycare cross ewes to texels and the rest to easycares, belclares and texels
    Happy with the easycare cross ewes but still unsure weather to keep crossing and go pure with them or just keep them as a crossbred ewe off the belclare and texel crosses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I'll be selling all 3 texals and getting either another Hampshire or a polled Dorset. I'll run them with the 2yr olds, the lesser quality ewes and any old girls on their last year. Like u said it's not a beauty contest and u can't beat the Hampshire/Dorset to put some length into lambs. Don't ever keep replacements from a Charolais or a vendeen!! They're both no good to milk
    I wouldn’t be afraid of a charolais x ewe at all. As long as they have a bit of sharpness in the head. A few I bought very cheap as hoggets last year performed extremely well crossed to vendeen.

• Advertisement

How'd the logie ram do for you razor? Any pics off lambs?

Very happy with him. Let him out on his own with 110 and have 186 lambs off him from from 98. I let another ram in after 1st cycle so could have more lambs off him

Pic

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Is there an easy way of uploading photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

how did the NZ Romney go ? The ewe in the last pic out of him ?

how did the NZ Romney go ? The ewe in the last pic out of him ?

I was disappointed with there scan at just over 1.7 compared to mules of 2.05 but most ended up with 2 when cross fostering so maybe not a bad complaint

Yes that ewe is off him as well as 2 in background behind mule

Was thinking of replacing the Suffolk with a Hampshire down this year, any pros and cons to this decision?

• Advertisement

Main con is you won’t have any saleable ewe lambs

Good looking lambs there... Any bother with lambing?

Ive bred my own replacements for nearly 20 years so at this stage they could lamb a weanling. Romney’s and mules are very roomy sheep. Very rare to have to handle a Romney

Where did you source your Romney's? Can you give me a pros and cons off the Romney's if it's not 2 much bother please

I’m a firm believer that breeding your own replacements is only way that will breed a flock that has less foot issues, lambing problems etc no matter what the breed. I’ve always kept strongest twin & triplets for last 20 years

Pros
    The romneys are very easy lambing
    Very little assistance needed
    Lots of milk
    good tight elders that lambs find easily
    Very attentive mother’s

Cons
    but as said before not as prolific as mules
    Have a lot of wool and should probably dag pre lambing

Sourced in Northern Ireland off Billy O’Kane

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/new-zealand-romney-rams/13553478

What kinda scanning % would you expect from the Romney's? Are they out off season breeders like the Dorset?

No not out of season breeders. As said in this previous post only scanned over 1.7. My target would be to wean 1.7 so slightly below where I’d like them to be

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

would the romneys out live the mules?

Can’t tell you that, oldest is 3 year old here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement