Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion from barrister to solicitor

Options
  • 18-04-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

My girlfriend completed her kings inn degree about 10 years ago. I dont think she has any experience at the bar but has been working in the legal profession for a number of years currently as a trainee solicitor in a criminal law firm.

She does not wish to pursue the Fe1 route and we noticed on law society website that there is an option for a barrister to convert to a solicitor.

However, it is vague as to what experience is sufficient and also seems quite unreasonable on some of the requirements.

For example you need the following

"A character reference should be furnished from a solicitor outside the applicant’s firm which should verify the applicant’s work".

I dont understand how she can provide the above. Is she expected to find a solicitor at random and hope that they will review for cv and legal experience and say it is sufficient?

Has anybody ever gone through the conversion route from barrister to solicitor? Im anxious to learn more about it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A lot of barristers convert to the solicitor branch. 3 years practice at the bar are required plus a practice management course and a short work experience period.
    It is FE-1s otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

4ensic15 wrote: »
    A lot of barristers convert to the solicitor branch. 3 years practice at the bar are required plus a practice management course and a short work experience period.
    It is FE-1s otherwise.

Barristers who have never devilled not to mind practiced at the bar can also convert to solicitors based on experience while in employment in the legal services field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Marcusm wrote: »
    Barristers who have never devilled not to mind practiced at the bar can also convert to solicitors based on experience while in employment in the legal services field.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If she has never practiced she cannot convert based on practice experience.

As an aside why are you looking this up for your legally trained barrister / trainee solicitor gf- surely she can look this up herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

If she has never practiced she cannot convert based on practice experience.

As an aside why are you looking this up for your legally trained barrister / trainee solicitor gf- surely she can look this up herself.

Im not so sure that's true as law society website seems to suggest that you can alternatively have 3 years experience employed providing services of a legal nature.

I'm aware of it being a route perhaps less travelled to qualify but from what experience are you able to comment that it's not possible without having practiced as a barrister?

Is this an assumption you are making or do you know of someone that attempted to convert based on legal employment experience alone without practicing as a barrister who got rejected?

Yes my gf has learned how to internet but i dont see why it matters that I'm querying the above and not her directly? Can you explain how the answers to the questions ive asked would be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Marcusm wrote: »

Do you know of anyone that has gone this route?
    My understanding is that her work needs to be signed off and she also needs a character reference from someone outside her firm. Does this mean a solicitor not from same firm where she gained her experience?

This seems like a very difficult ask as i doubt many solicitors will be willing to put their neck out to put their name to something like that knowing it going to law society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

This is why most go down the FE-1 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

lightspeed wrote: »
    Im not so sure that's true as law society website seems to suggest that you can alternatively have 3 years experience employed providing services of a legal nature.

I'm aware of it being a route perhaps less travelled to qualify but from what experience are you able to comment that it's not possible without having practiced as a barrister?

Is this an assumption you are making or do you know of someone that attempted to convert based on legal employment experience alone without practicing as a barrister who got rejected?

Yes my gf has learned how to internet but i dont see why it matters that I'm querying the above and not her directly? Can you explain how the answers to the questions ive asked would be any different?

The Law Society of Ireland

Blackhall Place, Dublin 7, D07 VY24
    Tel + 353 1 672 4800 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm)
    Fax + 353 1 672 4801
    DX 79 Dublin
    Email: general@lawsociety.ie
    Twitter: @lawsocireland

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

lightspeed wrote: »

She needs to have been practising at the Bar for 3 yrs. I checked this with the LS myself this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement