Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flush with cavity closer

Options
  • 21-04-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Building a small garage in donegal and closed the cavity off with a cavity closer (old way i know but no part L for garages). I was to put an overhang on the outside for soffit boards, fascia etc.. but not changing to flush eaves on wives instructions :(

Would bringing the flush eaves down ontop of the CC cause any issues for moisture to travel over to the inner block or should it be covered in such a way so the closer isnt on the outer face.

Have been getting conflicting opinions on the matter. One saying that gravity always pulls the rain down the wall and damp wont happen on the inner block unless it was on the bottom and the other saying itll have issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Can you not drop the fascia to below the cavity closer by repositioning the birds mouth on the rafter ,depending on roof build up eg :
    Wall plate.
    Joists
    2nd Wall plate , birds mouth plate (move this in to eliminate soffit).
    Rafter
    It'll always be a damp point if left exposed plus you could never rule out "converting" it in the future.
    By sorting it now could save you a load of pain further down the line .

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Can you not drop the fascia to below the cavity closer by repositioning the birds mouth on the rafter ,depending on roof build up eg :
    Wall plate.
    Joists
    2nd Wall plate , birds mouth plate (move this in to eliminate soffit).
    Rafter
    It'll always be a damp point if left exposed plus you could never rule out "converting" it in the future.
    By sorting it now could save you a load of pain further down the line .

its felted, battened out thee last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Ah I see.
    There's a thin insulated cement board made by botamant Google it supplied some hardware stores and tile suppliers that could be applied to the outside face of the closure and down halfway on the last row of block .
    Then plastered over with the rest of the building . That's stop 99.9 % of the damp and reduce cold bridging also

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Ah I see.
    There's a thin insulated cement board made by botamant Google it supplied some hardware stores and tile suppliers that could be applied to the outside face of the closure and down halfway on the last row of block .
    Then plastered over with the rest of the building . That's stop 99.9 % of the damp and reduce cold bridging also

Seen some bring the felt on down wrapped around 12mm ply then expanded metl on the face, scratch coat and the finish coat.

Advertisement