Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Marathon, 12th March

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

ger664 wrote: »
    Dont do an extra one this time :)

I'd say I'd notice the extra lap in this one Ger ;)

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Was out for a bit of a jog to stretch my legs this morning, nice bit of wind about, hopefully bit calmer for the race.

Didn't see any thread for this year's Tralee marathon so best of luck to everyone on Sunday!

Looks like it's going to be a cold one, hopefully driving there won't be too dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

opus wrote: »
    Didn't see any thread for this year's Tralee marathon so best of luck to everyone on Sunday!

Looks like it's going to be a cold one, hopefully driving there won't be too dodgy.

How did you enjoy that, how were the conditions??

martyboy48 wrote: »
    How did you enjoy that, how were the conditions??

Enjoy would be a strong word :) Temp was a balmy 1c at the start with a nice biting easterly wind that we really felt when we had to run straight into it for ~1.5 miles at the end of each lap of the two lap course, with added snow then for the second lap to make a nice blizzard effect!

Really felt sorry for the stewards & gardai who had to hang around out in that for many hours but they were good crack I must say.

I got talking to the 3:45 pacer when I was jogging back to the hotel to get my bag, the poor guy said he couldn't feel any part of his body! Checked the time for him & he had ~13 mins to cover the last mile & a bit so hopefully he made it, his group were gone by that stage (hopefully pushing ahead).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Did Tralee half yesterday myself. It was bitterly cold but fine for running in (then again I had running tights on, 2 tops and a woolly hat 😊). Really windy coming back into town along the canal for mile 11.Route was fine and well marshalled. Id imagine the marathon runners got worse conditions on the second loop. I didn't envy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Ran the full as well yesterday and I must admit, it was fairly surreal with the snow ploughing down on us for the second 13.
    Tough course with 3 varying but testing climbs, but had plenty of training runs on the loop in the run up to it so even with the horrendous wind coming home along the canal, I was able to put a nice bit of strategy into the run to account for it.

Major Kudos to all that had to marshal it and stay out all day. I don't envy you.
    Like everyone else it seems, the walk back to the Rose hotel nearly killed us off :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I did the half and got in just before the snow flurries, felt sorry for those setting out on lap 2 of the full!

Apart from a bit of confusion at the start (when the full field were sent off first to do an extra loop, and the half field were kept back a couple of minutes) all was well organised. As a local, I like the route - a few short hills, good scenery. That said, 99 times out of 100 coming in from Blennerville the wind is at your back, so running into it on race day was an unlucky exception!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

It was my first full marathon. Decided to do it after the Kinvara full was canceled, due to the snow a few weeks back. I sure know how to pick 'em! :rolleyes:

I found the first half really tough, especially having to pass the turn off to the finish line. I'll admit, I did think "I could just finish now", but pushed on and it got a little easier after that.

That last stretch along the canal, running head-first into the wind and snow, really exercised the mental training. Longest couple of miles I've ever run!

Despite all that, it was a great run. Good craic at the water stations, with volunteers dressed up as Disney characters. Fair play to them and the Gardai - I can't imagine how grim it was out there for them in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I did the half and got in just before the snow flurries, felt sorry for those setting out on lap 2 of the full!

Apart from a bit of confusion at the start (when the full field were sent off first to do an extra loop, and the half field were kept back a couple of minutes) all was well organised. As a local, I like the route - a few short hills, good scenery. That said, 99 times out of 100 coming in from Blennerville the wind is at your back, so running into it on race day was an unlucky exception!

Yup that was particularly odd now, a friend of mine was down from Dublin to do the half and when telling them about the route I had said that the wind is usually at your back from there in (but it is so exposed there). He found it tough going there for the two miles but got a good pb so was happy to hear that.

• Advertisement

vinnycoyne wrote: »

I found the first half really tough, especially having to pass the turn off to the finish line. I'll admit, I did think "I could just finish now", but pushed on and it got a little easier after that.

Don't worry you weren't the only person who had that thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Did the half this year after completing the full the last three years.
    Not a fan of the route but at least this year the full didn't have to go through the finish line at the end of the first loop like last year.
    Kudos to all the volunteers who endured the weather.

Tralee marathon has bit the dust sadly :(

End of the road for the Tralee Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

There is a Tralee marathon on April 20th so not sure if that's a direct replacement or what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

There is a Tralee marathon on April 20th so not sure if that's a direct replacement or what the story is.

Yeah according to facebook it'll be going back to the original route. 1 loop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yes, it is a direct replacement. The RD of the April race used to be on the organising committee of Tralee marathon right from the start, and it's run on the original Tralee marathon course (which, incidentally, isn't my favour course, but what the heck)

I'd be interested in that date actually, do you have a link somewhere (sorry I don't do facebook)?

The original route was grand, hope it still has Barrow Hill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The original route was grand, hope it still has Barrow Hill :)

It is and it has, and incidentally Barrow Hill is the major reason why it's not my favourite course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Somehow there's a marathon in Tralee, HM in Ballybunion and HM in Valentia all on the same day (April 20th).

pc11 wrote: »
    Somehow there's a marathon in Tralee, HM in Ballybunion and HM in Valentia all on the same day (April 20th).
    Easter weekend will be busy for runners in the Kingdom.

• Advertisement

Anyone giving this a go next Sat? Weather looks quite the opposite from Conn yesterday, good for me as a bit warm weather running is needed for a Comrades attempt in June.

477829.jpg

Pretty much perfect weather for the event yesterday, great to have the old route back. Small field of 116 but I believe there were only a few spots left. I don't pay much attention to medals but this one was pretty cool.

478345.jpg

Pretty much perfect weather for the event yesterday, great to have the old route back. Small field of 116 but I believe there were only a few spots left. I don't pay much attention to medals but this one was pretty cool.

478345.jpg

Cool medal indeed, but not as nice as the Easter egg afterward.

Advertisement