Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

lab man wrote: »
    When I was working for a plasterer years ago he told me put a half a soap bar into it when mixing made some difference mixing mortar and concrete

It would smell lovely aswell haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

When I was working for a plasterer years ago he told me put a half a soap bar into it when mixing made some difference mixing mortar and concrete

Fairy liquid works better. Many a block was laid and plastered with washing up liquid in the mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

9935452 wrote: »
    Lack of a handbrake would rule that out for me ����.

I always planned to make a chute or slide for it so it could be loaded with a back actor or minidigger.
    Figure out which bucket would hold the correct amount of gravel for a fill.
    Or for when using a dry mix

Just dig a little sloping trench to wheel your wheelbarrow into to load it. Might only have to be a few inches deep for you....If a 6" block would do it then a 6" trench would do the job just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Bullocks wrote:
    It would smell lovely aswell haha

Soap bar is a block 18 inch by 4 by 4

Soap bar is a block 18 inch by 4 by 4

What a kinda pleb am I haha. I must try that trick, I never heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Bullocks wrote: »
    What a kinda pleb am I haha. I must try that trick, I never heard of it

Ah yer not the only one. I knew of the fairy liquids morticiser trick so read it as a bar of the missuses Palmolive also.
    Would a half block not tear the ****e out if the drum often threw a few stones in to the mixer to clean her out though

Ah yer not the only one. I knew of the fairy liquids morticiser trick so read it as a bar of the missuses Palmolive also.
    Would a half block not tear the ****e out if the drum often threw a few stones in to the mixer to clean her out though
    I'd say it would be hard on the fins alright but maybe not too bad if it was full of morter to soften the banging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We had one of these bad boys great bit of kit on the back of a 135.

Screenshot_20190421-021150.jpg (650.1 KB)

I still use it on the135. Set it up and then tip into the power box on case for concreting etc. great job.

dad bought it in the 70s- neighbours borrowed it, one used rent it out for £1 a week! He made a fortune out of dad without him knowing it. Another borrowed it and let the concrete set inside it. That was the last time he loaned it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Try it and you'll see the difference mixing u can throw it in a few mins into mixing

Try it and you'll see the difference mixing u can throw it in a few mins into mixing

I'll give it a go . My main mixer for plastering has a big drum and needs to be left mixing a good while to get nice stuff , the soap bar might speed it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Thinking of converting an old flat bed 10' x 6' trailer in to a tipper. I see a lot of new ones have forward facing rams, what are peoples thoughts on this, is it easier to tip heavier loads this way?

Czhornet wrote: »
    Thinking of converting an old flat bed 10' x 6' trailer in to a tipper. I see a lot of new ones have forward facing rams, what are peoples thoughts on this, is it easier to tip heavier loads this way?

Ignoring the ram for a minute. Would it be worth you while as compared to just picking up one that already tips?

How would conversion work? Where do you hinge it from? Who is going to do the welding for you? It's dangerous to be doing those kinds of work yourself unless you're sure of your own welding ability. I heard a story of a fella years ago who was killed by a trailer he "made up" himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

How would conversion work? Where do you hinge it from? Who is going to do the welding for you? It's dangerous to be doing those kinds of work yourself unless you're sure of your own welding ability. I heard a story of a fella years ago who was killed by a trailer he "made up" himself.

Cut the axle and drawbar off, make up a new frame, weld back on axle and drawbar to new frame. Hinge old body off new frame using 12mm brackets and pins and position the ram for tipping. Straight forward really, so should ram be forward facing or backward facing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nothing is ever straight forward.

Cut the axle and drawbar off, make up a new frame, weld back on axle and drawbar to new frame. Hinge old body off new frame using 12mm brackets and pins and position the ram for tipping. Straight forward really, so should ram be forward facing or backward facing?

If cost is your major issue, will your method do it cheaper than 375 pound for this plus another few quid for a few sheets of marine ply to put a floor in it

https://www.donedeal.ie/silagetrailers-for-sale/tipping-trailer/21729047

Here's a "ready to go" one asking for 1900
    https://www.donedeal.ie/silagetrailers-for-sale/tipping-trailer/21706444

I'd say fire ahead with the project if you want to do it for your own interest. But I would think it would be more expensive. Especially if you are paying someone qualified to spend a few hours welding it up for you. Then buy a ram and all your fittings and extra steel for hinges for the trailer and ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Very easy to type that up, doing might be a different story.

12mm? Seem a little light for what could potentially be several tonnes of force pivoting on one point, but then again I'm not an engineer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm with DT on this one, lot easier to fix up a tipper than convert a flat trailer in my experience anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah its easier to tip with forward facing. Shouldn't be an issue on a 10x6.

I'd get an oul yoke like other poster said. Or even the back of a small tipper truck. Some fellas only want engine n gearbox to send to africa n u can pick up cheap.
    Basically anything bar what yer suggesting, can be done but pure torture! Some lads love the aul torture though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Let saw fall off wheelie bin while refilling and broke safety brake handle.
    Got a new one and spring (which l had "misplaced") online.
    Now for €30 and a little time, saw is safe to use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Saw looks in excellent condition. Like the use of the chain guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Odelay wrote: »
    Saw looks in excellent condition. Like the use of the chain guard.

It doesn't get a hard life to be fair. Grand light saw for all l'd be at. Cutting up windfall, ash mainly. I'm not cutting down big sequoias! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Muckit wrote: »
    It doesn't get a hard life to be fair. Grand light saw for all l'd be at. Cutting up windfall, ash mainly. I'm not cutting down big sequoias! :D

The men at the redwoods started out with cross cuts and axe's back when men were men. It fascinates me as to how a team of men with only horses and simple tools could fell and transport such goliaths. The work must have been backbreaking and ludicrously dangerous but it really captivates the golden age of Americana for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The men at the redwoods started out with cross cuts and axe's back when men were men. It fascinates me as to how a team of men with only horses and simple tools could fell and transport such goliaths. The work must have been backbreaking and ludicrously dangerous but it really captivates the golden age of Americana for me.

When men were men, when was that? every generation has it easier than the one before them, they used the tools available to them the same as we do today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you ever cone across a dvd of a film called "Sometime a great notion" buy it.
    Set in Oregon in 1970 its the story of a family logging outfit.
    A classic in my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

When men were men, when was that? every generation has it easier than the one before them, they used the tools available to them the same as we do today

I suppose around the turn of the 19th century before mechanisation began to become widespread in the forestry, farming and fishing industries. I agree that each generation encounter's it's own problems and you can only ever work with the tools available. I have no doubt that with access to enough limestone blocks, tower cranes and engineers I could in theory replicate the pyramids. I don't however believe that the finished product would have the same appeal? If I learned one lesson about the human psyche from the works of John B Keane it's that at least to the Irish misery sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Id go with forward facing if it was me .
    A lot of the modern stuff has forward facing rams . It looks like there would be less pressure on it to lift a heavy load.
    As long as the ram is placed correctly.

To be fair there will be an aweful lot of work in what you described.
    I bought a 12x7 tipper trailer at one stage. Stripped it down . Sandblasted chassis. Rebuilt axel. Converted to hydraulic brakes. Built new body for it . Rebuilt hydraulic ram , new hoses and a full rewire.
    Its a nice job but i wouldnt do it again .
    Could have bought identical trailer cheaper plus my time lost in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

9935452 wrote: »
    I bought a 12x7 tipper trailer at one stage. Stripped it down . Sandblasted chassis. Rebuilt axel. Converted to hydraulic brakes. Built new body for it . Rebuilt hydraulic ram , new hoses and a full rewire.
    Its a nice job but i wouldnt do it again .
    Could have bought identical trailer cheaper plus my time lost in it.

My father always built his own stuff. He's built tippers, cattle trailers and bale trailers. He could have bought them of course, but then they wouldn't be his own sweat and blood. And he's a much happier and content man knowing that something he spent a lot of time and effort on does the job it was intended for.

There's only one tipper in the yard I don't remember him building. It's a 10x6 and working away. I do remember him building a 12x8 ~30 years ago. That is the main trailer for work here, and apart from changing the wheels from twin to super singles, nothing else has been done to it in it's lifetime. Not even paint, or varnish on the wood. It could do with a little work to reinvigorate it, but it's far from essential.

Other things I remember him making:
    1. Bale trailer (still going strong but I don't like it)
    2. Numerous cattle trailers (used to sell them on to nearby farmers who liked the idea that they were low so no ramp needed)
    3. Cattle bodies for lorrys (buy the lorry, build the body)
    4. Square bale carrier (for the front of the JCB. Holds 40 small bales and was used to lift them onto the loft)
    5. Tractor implements (bale spikes for rear and loader, carriers, buckets, transport box)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

My father always built his own stuff. He's built tippers, cattle trailers and bale trailers. He could have bought them of course, but then they wouldn't be his own sweat and blood. And he's a much happier and content man knowing that something he spent a lot of time and effort on does the job it was intended for.

There's only one tipper in the yard I don't remember him building. It's a 10x6 and working away. I do remember him building a 12x8 ~30 years ago. That is the main trailer for work here, and apart from changing the wheels from twin to super singles, nothing else has been done to it in it's lifetime. Not even paint, or varnish on the wood. It could do with a little work to reinvigorate it, but it's far from essential.

Other things I remember him making:
    1. Bale trailer (still going strong but I don't like it)
    2. Numerous cattle trailers (used to sell them on to nearby farmers who liked the idea that they were low so no ramp needed)
    3. Cattle bodies for lorrys (buy the lorry, build the body)
    4. Square bale carrier (for the front of the JCB. Holds 40 small bales and was used to lift them onto the loft)
    5. Tractor implements (bale spikes for rear and loader, carriers, buckets, transport box)

I just wouldn't chance it nowadays. Too many ready to claim if something went wrong and/or insurance companies only looking for reasons not to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Suckler wrote: »
    I just wouldn't chance it nowadays. Too many ready to claim if something went wrong and/or insurance companies only looking for reasons not to pay out.

Every time I insure the jeep, they ask me have I modified it in any way.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Bit of fencing done yesterday.

47773803871_845de44d8e_c.jpg

46857372705_fac62786e0_c.jpg

46984614054_db76438951_c.jpg

First time using Clipex fencing and it won't be the last. It's very quick and easy to put up.

Advertisement