Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

smacl wrote: »
    More into the serious stuff like Doctor Who. Really enjoying the various new series with the kids. Oh, and Jackanory, loved Jackanory.

Ah he is only 2. Might wait a year or 2 for Dr Who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Kev.OC wrote: »
    I have never heard of a single one of those. :confused:
    That's because we have youth on our side Kev ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I saw this on a naughty torrent site and had to download it purely because of this amazing poster.

Wife is out with friends tonight and working tomorrow so I plan on doing sweet FA apart from watching TV and playing games, along with a few drinks. Bliss.

HandsofSteel_onesheet-1-500x730.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I saw this on a naughty torrent site and had to download it purely because of this amazing poster.

There was something special about those 80's action movie posters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »
    That's because we have youth on our side Kev wink.png

mad.png

409585.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Not in my world, you don't. My class reassure me that I'm ancient on a daily basis!

Anyone been to Berlin? Off there next week for midterm break. Any recommendations?

Day trip to Potsdam is worth it. Sanssouci in particular is nice.
    Eat currywurst and drink beer. Love Germany.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Not in my world, you don't. My class reassure me that I'm ancient on a daily basis!

Anyone been to Berlin? Off there next week for midterm break. Any recommendations?

Don't worry BK, my girlfriend gives the same reassurances to me as your class does to you. :pac:

I know Germany were a bit rowdy in the first half of the 20th century, and they were heavily involved in the beta run of Trumps wall for a while, but other than that I know sweet F.A. so no recommendations from me.

Was there two years ago and had a blast, definitely go up the Fernsehturm/TV Tower at night - it's €13 I think but we went up, had a few beers and took in the scenery - really cool to see the main roads into Berlin lit up at night

Didn't enjoy the zoo tbh

Nightlife - the Berghain is world renowned but very choosey on who gets in - we didn't get in so ended up at a place called Sisyphus which was fairly epic in fairness - open Friday to Sunday straight, whereas the Berghain is 24/7 I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was there two years ago and had a blast, definitely go up the Fernsehturm/TV Tower at night - it's €13 I think but we went up, had a few beers and took in the scenery - really cool to see the main roads into Berlin lit up at night

Didn't enjoy the zoo tbh

Nightlife - the Berghain is world renowned but very choosey on who gets in - we didn't get in so ended up at a place called Sisyphus which was fairly epic in fairness - open Friday to Sunday straight, whereas the Berghain is 24/7 I believe

Ha, exact same thing happened to me when I was there last May.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ha, exact same thing happened to me when I was there last May.
    Really? Weeeeird!

How'd you enjoy Sisyphys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Really? Weeeeird!

How'd you enjoy Sisyphys?

Had a good laugh. Its certainly quite different to what you might find around Cork :pac:

I enjoy techno music, which there was quite a bit of to say the least, so it was pretty enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

So today is international womens day, Google have a nice doodle for it - but apparently they didn't do one for International Mens day on November 19th ...

a small pickle, but it annoys me - the reason they don't do it is because of the backlash they'll get from the lunatic fringe of the left claiming Google is "glorifying the patriarchy" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Meh, stuff like that doesn't bother me tbh.

I know I'm deadly so I don't need a makey uppy day to reinforce it!

In this morning for a scan with Mrs RM.

All gravy.

Her obstetrician said "that's a big baby"

She still has 5 and a half weeks left so the fear that baba will have a whopper head like their daddy is getting very real.

Spent the last few weekends preparing the nursery, putting together flat back wardrobe, chest of drawers etc, pain in the flute but at least all is sorted in the event she does go early.

I'm bringing her to Monart this weekend for two nights as a treat considering we are unlikely to have any holidays this year.

That's all my news!

I applaud your foresight with the nursery & the trip, well played sir

Best wishes RM. Exciting times ahead :)

At the football. Gonna be a toughie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I saw this and couldn't resist posting it here:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/british-doctor-punches-shark-3695485-Nov2017/
    I saw a shark’s head come out of the water, with its teeth, and I just punched it in the face,” Fry told commercial broadcaster Channel Nine.

:pac:

Meh, stuff like that doesn't bother me tbh.

I know I'm deadly so I don't need a makey uppy day to reinforce it!

In this morning for a scan with Mrs RM.

All gravy.

Her obstetrician said "that's a big baby"

She still has 5 and a half weeks left so the fear that baba will have a whopper head like their daddy is getting very real.

Spent the last few weekends preparing the nursery, putting together flat back wardrobe, chest of drawers etc, pain in the flute but at least all is sorted in the event she does go early.

I'm bringing her to Monart this weekend for two nights as a treat considering we are unlikely to have any holidays this year.

That's all my news!

Thought I'd provide an update.

Baba arrived safe and sound on the 18th of April, my birthday no less.

Little boy and yes, he does have a big ass head like his daddy.

So far so good anyway. No major scares and he is healthy as a horse thank god.

Looking forward to our first Christmas as our own little family.

• Advertisement

Any of you feel you put yourself under more pressure as you get older to ensure you're financially stable?

I guess it's normal but 10 years ago when I was in my early to mid 20s I would have been very relaxed about job stability. Now in my mid 30s, married and with a child I'm much more sensitive to any potential threats to my job stability. My job outlook, despite working in a strong industry, is more pessimistic now than 10 years ago. Rather then my working life between now and retirement being full of opportunity I see potential threats. Difficult to imagine working until a potential retirement age of maybe 70.

As I write this it does seem perfectly logical, I just wish I could chill out a little more about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    At the football. Gonna be a toughie

I just love living beside Wembley stadium, being crammed into the tube with legions of boisterous Spurs fans.
    Any of you feel you put yourself under more pressure as you get older to ensure you're financially stable?

I guess it's normal but 10 years ago when I was in my early to mid 20s I would have been very relaxed about job stability. Now in my mid 30s, married and with a child I'm much more sensitive to any potential threats to my job stability. My job outlook, despite working in a strong industry, is more pessimistic now than 10 years ago. Rather then my working life between now and retirement being full of opportunity I see potential threats. Difficult to imagine working until a potential retirement age of maybe 70.

As I write this it does seem perfectly logical, I just wish I could chill out a little more about it.

Big time. I'm single so I've no spouse of kids to worry about but I live in Southeast England where houses are just comically unaffordable. I read a post here a few years ago by a chap in his late thirties who said he really regretted not saving in his twenties which got my at least putting a few bob away.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I dunno.

I'm 38 and have a wife and child, we will most likely be trying for number 2 in New year.

I work in a very secure job (underwriter with an insurance company) with good benefits and pension however the salary is not great. I could move into a sales / business development role within the industry and earn alot more money in terms of basic then commission but sales is alot more volatile and less secure.

I too am unlikely to be able to retire before I'm well into my 60s.

The big thing for us is getting a forever home. We "own" the place we are in and it is slowly crawling out of negative equity but being second time buyers getting the near 20% deposit required will be difficult as the houses we want are in the €400 to €450k space.

My wife earns nearly 3 times what i do but it's incredibly stressful and requires long hours, something that being a mammy is at odds with.

We are contemplating options atm. If / when number 2 arrives I'd give serious consideration into leaving my current job to mind the kids full time. The cost of child minding would negate a huge portion of my current salary so it could make more sense to get a job as a static security guard or similar so I could work weekends or evenings and mind the kids during the day.

Of course I could win the lotto but I've come to realise that pinning my hat on that contingency is prolly not the wisest!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

At 40, unless I win the lottery I know I'm in no position to ever buy a house. Rising rent prices over the last few years and paycuts took a chunk off my savings.

I remember when I was a kid how I pictured my future life. It never turned out the way I had imagined it.

Pretty depressing

We bought a place last year. Probably not my first choice of area but good enough. I am so thankful I don't need to rent anymore. We were lucky in that our LL never upped the rent in the 3 or 4 years we were there but we had to move anyway and buying a place was definitely
    less stressful than trying to rent a bigger place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We bought a place last year. Probably not my first choice of area but good enough. I am so thankful I don't need to rent anymore. We were lucky in that our LL never upped the rent in the 3 or 4 years we were there but we had to move anyway and buying a place was definitely
    less stressful than trying to rent a bigger place.

Your place is lovely, what are you on about!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Your place is lovely, what are you on about!

Schools are an issue unfortunately as in the local school who would have to take the kids is a **** hole. The other schools have waiting lists.

Anyone here recommend any men's interest podcasts? Something dealing with health, lifestyle etc.

Anyone here recommend any men's interest podcasts? Something dealing with health, lifestyle etc.
    There's a podcast forum where you'll find some good suggestions but I'd recommend The Art of Manliness. You'll find some good content there but tbh you'll have to research yourself - it's good for an intro but rather than do a deep dive, the episodes tend to be some expert promoting their latest book - they'll touch on the subject, but you're not going to get amazing insights in 30-40mins

• Advertisement

Thanks, started listening to one, seems like a decent podcast series alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do get a bit fed up of TheJournal.ie sometimes. That said, their sports section has some excellent articles - am I'm don't read much sports coverage or really watch it, in general.

Howyiz.

It was essentially a sports journal that delved into the world of news (rather unsuccessfully imo).

This thread needs to be dusted off a bit. Mods bit of a spring clean please!!

I suggest a diffuser - lemongrass & cedarwood preferably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mhoree brandy!

Panthro on the sauce last night??? :)

• Advertisement

It's 2019 so I'm now recommending one of the water based essential oil, electric diffusers

Got one for the gaff and it's a game changer

Absolutely glorious day out. Ara it's too hot. I'd to walk me dog in the woods. Poor thing couldn't take the heat.
    4day weekends are amazing I've decided!

It's 2019 so I'm now recommending one of the water based essential oil, electric diffusers

Got one for the gaff and it's a game changer

Did they diffuse the situations?!

Panthro wrote: »
    Did they diffuse the situations?!
    Depends on the situation but Lavendar has been known to end hostilities

Rewatching Men behaving badly.
    They umm wouldn't get away with the jokes in today's world!
    Harry Enfields so young looking. Martin Clune hasn't aged.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Martin Clune hasn't aged.

In that he looked just as old then as he does now.:D

I see what ye did. Thread resucitated on Easter Sunday

In that he looked just as old then as he does now.:D

That could be more correct alright!
    He's a new show where he's a driving instructor. Watched the first episode. It's not the worst.

Barna77 wrote: »
    I see what ye did. Thread resucitated on Easter Sunday

In a way... I'm jesus..!

I've watched all of 'Barry' in a few days - well worth checking out, some great humour in it.

I've watched Can't Cope won't cope....

And now I'm leaving the Internet!!

Happy Friday beer ó clock oww!

Holiday, celebrate!

Ya on the hols?

yes

The sweet moment when you create an out of the office email reply :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement