Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving for garden - curved flower beds

Options
  • 21-04-2019 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I’m setting out a design for our small back garden, approx 8m x 3m. There will be a curved path to the end of the garden to a patio area.

After getting some opinions, the concencus is it will be more expensive to set out paving which has to deal with curves. Makes sense, more cutting etc. I would’ve like to have limestone flags or the like but I’m wondering what would be a good choice of paving to deal with curves. Should it be smaller paving like cobble lock? I’m not going to do the work myself, but want to get an idea on how I can reduce costs but still achieve these curves

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Use engineering bricks or even concrete pavers (same size a bricks) to make the edges between the beds and the path and the grass and the path. Then lay your good quality paving stones like stepping stones along the path then fill the remaining area with a suitable gravel.

Put the edging bricks on the grass edge level with the grass and put the paving stones lower than the grass so the pea graven has less chance of getting on the grass.

Edit> A good example here

Also use a nonwoven geotextile under the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi folks, I’m setting out a design for our small back garden, approx 8m x 3m. There will be a curved path to the end of the garden to a patio area.

After getting some opinions, the concencus is it will be more expensive to set out paving which has to deal with curves. Makes sense, more cutting etc. I would’ve like to have limestone flags or the like but I’m wondering what would be a good choice of paving to deal with curves. Should it be smaller paving like cobble lock? I’m not going to do the work myself, but want to get an idea on how I can reduce costs but still achieve these curves

Thanks

A nine inch angle grinder will cut curves quickly. Yes, more cutting but in the context of the work, not a lot extra.

hire one with a diamond blade for a day and do all the cutting in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

A nine inch angle grinder will cut curves quickly. Yes, more cutting but in the context of the work, not a lot extra.

hire one with a diamond blade for a day and do all the cutting in one go

Thanks for that. I would like to get the curve cut on it. I’m not doing this myself though so I expect there to be a higher cost on it if there are curves involved. Thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Thanks for that. I would like to get the curve cut on it. I’m not doing this myself though so I expect there to be a higher cost on it if there are curves involved. Thanks for the tip

Not really. A diamond wheel cuts quickly and it's virtually no more work to cut a curve than a straight line

Advertisement