Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone Identify this traditional wall render

Options
  • 22-03-2019 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi

I am preparing my internal walls for wood fiber insulation but i am unsure just how far back i should go as I can't identify the current covering.
    I have removed the old layers of wall paper and I am left with the following.

It will be a good bit of work to go right back to the lime base coat. any way to know if the yellow and grey layers are some form of finish render that would be breathable or are they more than likely some impermeable layer and just hack them off to be safe?

Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zmHv7Dk3ZuYH7HcFA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chimchimney

Is there a pinkish colour? I think this would be gypsum (non-breathable).

As a crude test, could touch a small bit of vinegar against the material it to check whether lime is present. I think 'Sizzling' indicates reaction between acid and lime which is a base!

Or you could get an expert in - a plasterer who works with lime. They will know from experience.

Disclaimer: i'm just a punter, who's looking into insulating a 100yr old single leaf brick wall house. No expert!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

cheers, I remove the thin layer of whatever it was and brought the wall back to the lime base coat just to be sure.

horrible job! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

booooonzo wrote: »
    cheers, I remove the thin layer of whatever it was and brought the wall back to the lime base coat just to be sure.

horrible job! :(

Absolutely agree. It is harder to remove than put one.

Advertisement