Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Irons For A Bed Frame?

• 17-04-2019 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Okay. Now that I've gained ye attention with that innocuous enough title ~ and guessing ye must know more than Nothing about steels and 'bed frames'? Here's the Real 'problem':

I have a futon. And I need a 'stand', to get it off the ground ~ because I want to put something, on the floor, in that space. For simplicities sake; Let's just assume I want Bunk Futons. So, I need one up in the air. Okay?

I figure a welded steel structure, sort of like a table, without a top, would do it? I asked a mate if that square section, hollow steel would do. He suggested that for the legs. But that I might use angle iron as the frame to hold the pallets I like to lay my futon (mattress) on.

Anyone here into that sort of engineering problem, please? What sizes of steel / iron would it take to hold, lets say, the weight of two average people. On a six by three foot futon?

Remember; The pallets would provide all the cross slatting. It, really, just needs to be a four legged table, with no table top. Say, three foot high. Stable.

That make sense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Stigura wrote: »
    Okay. Now that I've gained ye attention with that innocuous enough title ~ and guessing ye must know more than Nothing about steels and 'bed frames'? Here's the Real 'problem':

I have a futon. And I need a 'stand', to get it off the ground ~ because I want to put something, on the floor, in that space. For simplicities sake; Let's just assume I want Bunk Futons. So, I need one up in the air. Okay?

I figure a welded steel structure, sort of like a table, without a top, would do it? I asked a mate if that square section, hollow steel would do. He suggested that for the legs. But that I might use angle iron as the frame to hold the pallets I like to lay my futon (mattress) on.

Anyone here into that sort of engineering problem, please? What sizes of steel / iron would it take to hold, lets say, the weight of two average people. On a six by three foot futon?

Remember; The pallets would provide all the cross slatting. It, really, just needs to be a four legged table, with no table top. Say, three foot high. Stable.

That make sense?

Made one up myself once: I made it more a period style bed so used gunbarrel for the four legs, extending them up beyond the mattress and topping them off with curtain pole ends (filials)

In your case:

Rectangular box section legs (2" x 1") with cross piece to tie the legs at each end. Two n's in other words

8mm rectangular plates welded onto each n pointing towards the n at the other end of the bed. Two holes bored in each

Two lengths of L angle - say 2" bog standard heavy stuff. Holes bored in each to match the plates above.

Bolt it together and off you go with whatever slatting you want. I used salvaged floorboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

:D We haven't got the 'Round of Applause' sort of smiley here. Else I'd have hit it three times, at least!

You, sir, are a Saint! Thank You, so much! :Thumbs Up Smiley:

Advertisement