Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house - developer won't supply plans?

Options
  • 10-04-2019 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

My partner and I are in the process of buying a new home. The developer has refused to supply the plans to our solicitor. How is this legal?

The house is under construction. There is a showhouse that we've seen but it's bigger and has a different layout/appearance to the one we're in the middle of purchasing.

You wouldn't buy a sofa online without knowing the dimensions and what it's going to look like... I'm really surprised at this. Does anyone have any advice for getting around this? Are we entitled to visit the site to see what the dimensions are so far?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

How are you in the process of buying a house that doesn't yet exist and you've not seen the plans for?.. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Hi,

My partner and I are in the process of buying a new home. The developer has refused to supply the plans to our solicitor. How is this legal?

The house is under construction. There is a showhouse that we've seen but it's bigger and has a different layout/appearance to the one we're in the middle of purchasing.

You wouldn't buy a sofa online without knowing the dimensions and what it's going to look like... I'm really surprised at this. Does anyone have any advice for getting around this? Are we entitled to visit the site to see what the dimensions are so far?

Builders are not legally obliged to provide precise plans with dimensions because every house wont be exactly the same for various different reasons, for example a developer can change the thickness of walls to cater for a pipe or something else that works better with the design, so they could never produce as built drawings as the client would never be happy.

They should however be able to provide you with some sort of computer generated plan that shows rough areas for size puropses but that is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is, incredibly, not unusual, at least judging by the recent experiences of a couple of friends.

The really unacceptable thing is that you will be put under pressure to sign contracts before construction is finished, without any specification provided, and site visits will be refused until snagging for spurious H&S reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Lumen wrote: »
    This is, incredibly, not unusual, at least judging by the recent experiences of a couple of friends.

The really unacceptable thing is that you will be put under pressure to sign contracts before construction is finished, without any specification provided, and site visits will be refused until snagging for spurious H&S reasons.

Surely one can at least get their hands on planning drawings? they may not be construction drawings or as built drawings, but essentially the developer does know what they are building as they were required to submit planning drawings to get permission for the development in the first place.. :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

This is normal.
    You buy based on the show house and the Estate Agents documentation which will include indicative layout plans.

What estate are you buying in?
    Are we entitled to visit the site to see what the dimensions are so far?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Miss_sussed

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand that the actual dimensions may not be exactly what the plans are for various reasons. We just wanted a rough idea of the size to plan for furnishings, a feature wall etc..

We have the brochure floor plans but they don't give a rough idea of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand that the actual dimensions may not be exactly what the plans are for various reasons. We just wanted a rough idea of the size to plan for furnishings, a feature wall etc..

have you looked up the planning docs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Never, ever order furnishings based from estate agent plans or even planning drawings.
    You need to wait to get the keys to check your actual house.

Cyrus wrote: »
    have you looked up the planning docs?

The planning documents that were submitted when applying for planning permission? Haven't checked yet. Is it just a matter of phoning or walking into the relevant local authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Its like this, I studied landscape design back in the 90's my exe was an architectural technician it was common practice to draft out a house or landscape and incorporate the proper dimensions for amenities and facilities.

Don't mind the bull**** you'll hear from building developer's and their lack of depth and knowledge of the basics of design and implementation of the requirements.

I seriously think the knobs who we're dealing with nowadays are not a patch on the talent of year's gone by.

You don't build a car to specifications, and decide oh I'll change this that and the other because I need a pipe to fit in that part of the engine.

Your builder isn't being transparent, he sounds like a dodgy character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

The planning documents that were submitted when applying for planning permission? Haven't checked yet. Is it just a matter of phoning or walking into the relevant local authority?

You should be able to find them online, on your council’s website. e.g. for Galway county it’s http://www.galway.ie/en/services/planning/onlineplanningsystems/

Find your development on the map and all the associated documents will be attached to the application.

Tacklebox wrote: »
    Its like this, I studied landscape design back in the 90's my exe was an architectural technician it was common practice to draft out a house or landscape and incorporate the proper dimensions for amenities and facilities.

Don't mind the bull**** you'll hear from building developer's and their lack of depth and knowledge of the basics of design and implementation of the requirements.

I seriously think the knobs who we're dealing with nowadays are not a patch on the talent of year's gone by.

You don't build a car to specifications, and decide oh I'll change this that and the other because I need a pipe to fit in that part of the engine.

Your builder isn't being transparent, he sounds like a dodgy character.

I know they have a set of plans and they're not just winging it as they go along.. I'm just frustrated that I can't get an idea of what we're buying! If we had the rough dimensions, we could peg them out in a field and get an idea of the space..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I know they have a set of plans and they're not just winging it as they go along.. I'm just frustrated that I can't get an idea of what we're buying! If we had the rough dimensions, we could peg them out in a field and get an idea of the space..

they will be online on the planning docs

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Lumen wrote: »

This is awful that people are accepting this.

So you pay a couple of hundred thousand euro and they wont give you a general plan! Ah now now, thats not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Tell him if he doesn't supply the plans then you are not buying the house. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

What Is Safe Pass?
    Safe Pass is a basic one day Health & Safety training course. It is a legal requirement to have attended a Safe Pass course and be in possession of the card on any construction site in Ireland. QuickSafePass.ie offers both individuals and employers seeking Safe Pass training a platform to book their SOLAS accredited Safe Pass courses in their local area in 3 easy steps. Once a suitable course is chosen and the €20 deposit* is paid online your place is secured. Don't delay, book your place today!

I'd do one of these courses too. dismisses their 'no access on heath and safety grounds' bu**sh**

ashes2014 wrote: »
    This is awful that people are accepting this.

So you pay a couple of hundred thousand euro and they wont give you a general plan! Ah now now, thats not fair.

Yeah people have no choice at the moment.. If you don't accept it, someone else will..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Yeah people have no choice at the moment.. If you don't accept it, someone else will..

This is the problem OP. I feel for your situation. It's not right but as you said - it's a seller's market.

I do see the builder's point of view too. Some customers would cause all sorts of problems if a wall is 5mm from where it's shown on a plan so it's easier to just say no safe in the knowledge that someone else will buy it.

The planning drawings "should" be close enough to the final product so will help you out. I would not order furniture based on them though.

It's sad really that this kind of parochial mindset of the builders is still alive and well in Ireland.

I know I waffle on about year's ago and how some things were better etc

But these builders again know that no matter what they'll get their money and the cost of litigation to correct a simple mishap is too high for the average person to persue.

So it's win win for the elite and their ostentatious idealism.

The buyer could be more than likely, taping draughts underneath window sills by next Christmas and the developer is well wrapped up in red tape and has the law on their side.

I'm thinking of selling up and scaling down in a year or two. If I'm lucky enough to sell my own, I'll buy in the depths of winter, it won't be hard to find dampness,stains and over painted mould in December.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tacklebox wrote: »
    It's sad really that this kind of parochial mindset of the builders is still alive and well in Ireland.

I know I waffle on about year's ago and how some things were better etc

But these builders again know that no matter what they'll get their money and the cost of litigation to correct a simple mishap is too high for the average person to persue.

So it's win win for the elite and their ostentatious idealism.

The buyer could be more than likely, taping draughts underneath window sills by next Christmas and the developer is well wrapped up in red tape and has the law on their side.

I'm thinking of selling up and scaling down in a year or two. If I'm lucky enough to sell my own, I'll buy in the depths of winter, it won't be hard to find dampness,stains and over painted mould in December.
    Can you explain how having access to plans is going to prevent a buyer having to tape up their window sills? If a builder does a shoddy job they're going to do a shoddy job whether or not they give you the drawings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

awec wrote: »
    Can you explain how having access to plans is going to prevent a buyer having to tape up their window sills? If a builder does a shoddy job they're going to do a shoddy job whether or not they give you the drawings.

Least you will know how much tape is needed?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is the problem OP. I feel for your situation. It's not right but as you said - it's a seller's market.

I do see the builder's point of view too. Some customers would cause all sorts of problems if a wall is 5mm from where it's shown on a plan so it's easier to just say no safe in the knowledge that someone else will buy it.

The planning drawings "should" be close enough to the final product so will help you out. I would not order furniture based on them though.

The problem isn't the lack of plans per se, it's the fact that you're pressured into signing contracts for something that's effectively unspecified. If the builder wants to sell it like a second hand house, fine, but then wait until it's finished before demanding money and commitment.

awec wrote: »

I mean hypothetically.... It happens frequently

Advertisement