Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court -asked to give evidence of an accident

Options
  • 17-04-2019 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have gotten a call from a former employer about a work related incident involving a member of the public, I was working in the area at the time,

I gave an account of the accident on the day, this is now being all sent to a possible court date

the member of the public is looking for compensation from a minor injury,

Has anybody any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi

I have gotten a call from a former employer about a work related incident involving a member of the public, I was working in the area at the time,

I gave an account of the accident on the day, this is now being all sent to a possible court date

the member of the public is looking for compensation from a minor injury,

Has anybody any experience of this?

Tell your former employer that you will have to be subpoenaed. It is unlikely that you will have to give evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Explain to them that you will need to be paid for your time in preparation and attendance.

Tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

You are entitled to be paid for your day attending court (you will more than likely be out of pocket because you will have to take a day off work and travel to the courts)

The legal teams will know this but no harm in mentioning it, if/when you are asked to turn up for a court date, it’s more than likely that your ex employer is ensuring that you are willing to go before a court and say what you said in your previous statement, in terms of a court case if there are eye witnesses to an event it helps the judge understand the events and helps them to decide if a plaintiff is entitled to compensation or not.

Most cases don’t make it to court and usually settle, if you are asked to go into court you are entitled to out of pocket expenses (even if the case settles out of court, if you have to turn up, you have to get paid)

Advertisement