Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness widget

Options
  • 24-03-2018 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

A funny one from real life.
    I purchased 2 cans of Guinness in Supervalu yesterday and put them in the car boot. Due to some kind of impact one of the cans had buckling in the top of the cylindrical can pinching it quite a bit but no sign of actual breach or leakage.

This evening I decided to reward myself. Preferring to keep the "good wine til last" I tried the buckled can first. It poured flat and I guess the widget failed to trigger upon opening. I drank it anyway :)

I am assuming the widget is triggered based on the release of pressure from opening the can. If some of the internal contents (gas included) of the can escaped during the injury sustained by the can in the boot of my car I can understand that. Is there an alternative reason ? Could the widget have ignited like an airbag ;) due to the impact yesterday without any escape of gasses. Or could the geometry change of the cylindrical vessel have had an adverse outcome when I opened the can this evening ?

The good news is that the 2nd can was not injured and I am enjoying a 2nd creamy Guinness right now. The first one was a bit of a throwback to my college days in the 1980s prior to the introduction of the can widgets when we gatecrashed parties bringing cans of Guinness with little plastic syringes which formed air bubbles which simulated the Guinness head :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

There's a good chance it would have been flat anyway and was nothing to do with the impact. I've given up buying those cans as I've had so many that were flat. Two out of four one night was the last straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I haven't a clue of the science, but out of every 8 pack I buy, 1 or 2 are always duds. That's without any impact or damage to can.

Advertisement