Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manbags (for stuff that actually needs carrying)

Options
  • 02-04-2019 11:46pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for a replacement bag/backpack/whatever, not sure if this is the best place but as its not a handbag, it should do!

I've got to bring a 14" laptop in and out of work every day and usually have some various cables (laptop charger, phone charger, headphones), maybe a book and maybe a light jacket in the bag as well

When there's a lot of stuff to carry in I usually use a giant skater backpack I've had for a decade and a half that is both starting to fall apart and a bit ridiculous for a man of my age; or a very light canvas messenger bag I have that has slightly embarrassing branding (it was a freebie), isn't even vaguely waterproof and is also starting to fall apart.

Messenger bag is easier on public transport, backpack has space for other stuff if needed so I'm kinda torn between the two.

Have seen a lot of people using laptop backpacks, but the laptop brand basically just screams "steal me!" and I work in East Wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

L1011 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for a replacement bag/backpack/whatever, not sure if this is the best place but as its not a handbag, it should do!

I've got to bring a 14" laptop in and out of work every day and usually have some various cables (laptop charger, phone charger, headphones), maybe a book and maybe a light jacket in the bag as well

When there's a lot of stuff to carry in I usually use a giant skater backpack I've had for a decade and a half that is both starting to fall apart and a bit ridiculous for a man of my age; or a very light canvas messenger bag I have that has slightly embarrassing branding (it was a freebie), isn't even vaguely waterproof and is also starting to fall apart.

Messenger bag is easier on public transport, backpack has space for other stuff if needed so I'm kinda torn between the two.

Have seen a lot of people using laptop backpacks, but the laptop brand basically just screams "steal me!" and I work in East Wall.

I would always go with a backpack as
    1) its better for your back
    2) its better if you need to cycle etc for part of the commute
    3) they generally hold more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

naughtb4 wrote: »

I'd add that it would make it more difficult for potential thieves to nick a backpack than a laptop or shoulder bag.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I have an Under Armour backpack that I use. It has a section divider for my work laptop which I take home from time to time. While it probably isn't the most grown up backpack that I could have bought, I like it and unlike a lot of backpacks, it doesn't scream "I have a laptop in this bag"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

naughtb4 wrote: »

Messenger bag or backpack is a personal choice really.
    Do you have a budget in mind OP?

I'd prefer a messenger bag for most scenarios, particularly for cycling, and it's easier to swing around if on public transport.
    Shape-wise they are also very well suited to carrying a laptop (across back) with whatever else popped in front.
    Capacity really just depends on the bag.

If interested in a messenger bag, check out Timbuk2; they are nice bags in various sizes and colours. (Just having a look there myself, they do some nice backpacks as well)
    Only downside for me would be that messenger bags don't look very 'professional', but that would be up to yourself too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Messenger bag or backpack is a personal choice really.

I'd prefer a messenger bag for most scenarios, particularly for cycling, and it's easier to swing around if on public transport.
    Shape-wise they are also very well suited to carrying a laptop (across back) with whatever else popped in front.
    Capacity really just depends on the bag.

If interested in a messenger bag, check out Timbuk2; they are nice bags in various sizes and colours. (Just having a look there myself, they do some nice backpacks as well)
    Only downside for me would be that messenger bags don't look very 'professional', but that would be up to yourself too.

Absolutely, above is just my opinion.

As someone who has had disc problems, I prefer the stability of a BackPack

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I went to a Timbuk2 messenger bag about 5 years ago, a large one, and I find it to be fantastic. It's a large bag, but you can tighten the straps to make it quite compact. I use it cycling mainly, but use it as a day bag going to work and such. Great bag and it's lasted me a long time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

~100 but could go more, it is an actual work tool. Could probably expense it if it was cheaper but someone would balk at a higher price. If sold by one of the bugger all business retailers I have accounts with I could definitely get something dearer that way - VAT coming off.

I work in a job where tshirt/jeans/runners is the normal attire for everyone except sales, and I'm not sales, so it doesn't really matter. Just need it to be a bit better than a skater backpack from when I was 18!

Existing monster backpack has a padded laptop section but it was explicitly designed for the 12" iBook G3/G4 - I actually had the latter - so its too short/fat for my current 14" extremely thin HP so I'm using a sleeve that takes up a fair amount of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Considering your work attire I suggest the classic Fred Perry messenger

https://www.asos.com/fred-perry/fred-perry-classic-messenger-bag-in-navy/prd/11099341?clr=navy&SearchQuery=&cid=19286&gridcolumn=1&gridrow=1&gridsize=4&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=1

Available in debenhams if you'd like to try the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any of these take your fancy?

All at decent prices too.

https://www.mandmdirect.ie/02/fts/?search=messenger+bags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I have a North Face Borealis backpack for work, about 2 year's old but still looks brand new. The laptop pocket is snug for a 15.6" laptop, anything this size or smaller will definitely fit.

Got it as a present, originally thought it was OTT just for trundling to work but it's brilliant, highly recommended.

I have a North Face Borealis backpack for work, about 2 year's old but still looks brand new. The laptop pocket is snug for a 15.6" laptop, anything this size or smaller will definitely fit.

Got it as a present, originally thought it was OTT just for trundling to work but it's brilliant, highly recommended.

Half price €48 in some colours at the moment too.
    I'm seriously tempted by the orange and I really don't need another bag at the moment....
    https://www.thenorthface.ie/shop/en-gb/tnf-ie/borealis-classic-backpack-cf9c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Half price €48 in some colours at the moment too.
    I'm seriously tempted by the orange and I really don't need another bag at the moment....
    https://www.thenorthface.ie/shop/en-gb/tnf-ie/borealis-classic-backpack-cf9c

It's a pity most of those on sale price are not available anymore! I was tempted myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well you could get an anti theft backpack with built in USB charger. They're cheap as chips and are reasonably non descript if that's what you're looking for.

Like this canvas one for less than €13 from the UK.

Or this one from China for about €19, which looks better to me but it'll take an age to get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I picked up this for just over 100 in the airport last week - Samsonite 2WM Laptop Backpack

As somebody never seen without a backpack I have to say I've never been happier with one, super comfy, lots of room

chewed wrote: »
    It's a pity most of those on sale price are not available anymore! I was tempted myself.

Oops, pretty sure the orange was there when I posted.
    I'd still go timbuk2 for OP's purposes.
    But I also think the right bag is a much more personal choice than most ppl do.

Advertisement