Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring two cars at once?

Options
  • 09-04-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Any companies allow me to insure two cars at once using NCB on both? I have my regular car but am interested in buying something older as a "weekend car"... But not old enough to be a classic.

Any advice on how best to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Ring a broker but tbh you face an uphill and expensive battle. An older car with no earned bonus is gonna be a bitch to get insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Unfortunately you can have only 1 insurance policy in your name, any additional insurance policy will be treated as if you are a completely separate person and you will have 0 NCB (even though you might have a sizeable NCB to-date) and you will earn NCB on that policy independent of your original insurance policy. Plus over here they don't really do 'weekend only' policies... I think they do in the UK.

We had similar enquiry to you, for a car we own that is old that we'd only want to drive on weekends....but obviously isn't vintage yet.

Carole Nash might be able to offer you insurance on the car, as they do it on certain types of cars under the 'vintage' age.... we gave them a buzz, and they told us maybe next year for us... so no harm in giving them a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Facing this situation but with a much less glamourous set of circumstances. My wife replaced her old Yaris, but couldn't bear to sell it, and now they're looking for €3k. a year to insure it!
    Do people with a daily driver and a fun car just suck this BS up? the 'spare' car must, by definition, be used less and therefore be less risky, but it's a whole new insurable entity? Insurance is such a racket here, when in the UK, it's not unheard of to have a few cars, and we're not so different to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've had a car and insurance for more years than I care to think about,,,no claims..ever! Max NCB,, Back in 2015, I needed a 2nd car " Working Model" for doing some light trailer work, and generally hacking around, to spare the "good car". I duly bought a 2003 A6, that fitted the bill 100%
    Load's of power for what I needed plus was a nice comfortable car to drive, and for insurance €320.00, Everything was going according to plan.
    Then 2016 came, and with it insurance renewal.... €1175.00. After I got over the shock, I contacted the broker to get the obvious mistake rectified. But it was no mistake he assured me... the reason I got the 1st insurance for €320.00 was because they used an insurance company which gave an allowance for my previous NCB on the other car, but this was no longer possible. They were treating me basically not as a new driver, but according to the length of time that I had owned the car.....which at this point, was 1 year. After shopping around, I eventually got a quote for €850.00. It stayed the same for 2017. In 2018, I changed it for a newer car (2010) and it dropped to €650.00,,, Its due for renewal in June and we will see what it will cost this time around.....will have built up my 5 years NCB by then. Insurance in Ireland is a criminal rip off..all aspects of it.

Advertisement