Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

West Indies 107-2. Only 312 to go in 37 overs. Pitch like a road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

200/2 in 21.2 overs. The boundaries are absolutely miles in, Bravo just mistimed a pull and it still went for 6. 400 possibly not as impressive a score as it looked on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The England bowlers are struggling to find a reliable line and length that will cause the opposition problems. Too often the West Indies batsman are able to pick the length and swing towards the boundary. The quality on this surface just isn’t present in this English average attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wood seems to be the only one not taking a pasting. Moeen has gone for 31 off 2 overs.

38 to get off the last 4, some game now.

• Advertisement

4 wickets in 5 balls wins from Rashid wins it for England

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Over 800 runs in a day - not bad going really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Norm Peterson

Am I the only one who wonders what exactly is the point of ODI cricket anymore.It's basically evolved into T20 cricket except it takes more than twice as long to play.

At least before T20 became so big ODI had a unique selling point of essentially being a half way house between T20 and a Test cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Am I the only one who wonders what exactly is the point of ODI cricket anymore.It's basically evolved into T20 cricket except it takes more than twice as long to play.

At least before T20 became so big ODI had a unique selling point of essentially being a half way house between T20 and a Test cricket.

The dynamic of limited overs has changed, mostly due to the now more attacking T20 influencing the longer 50 over format. It’s the players having a more attacking, positive mindset coupled with the greater skill levels that can see 700 runs gross scored over both batting innings... unheard of 10 years ago and I think overall it’s a positive thing for every form of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't say I'm too keen on the slogfests. But the players seem to be clearing the ropes more now than artificially having high scores through field restrictions. Sony much we can do about that.

If they relaxed field restrictions we would end up with more singles than tinder. This is the game now.

I do find myself hard to excited for ODIs, although this series has been good. Give me Test or T20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe a marginally more balanced pitch would help the 50 over game maintain its difference. Not saying you need some kind of minefield, but giving the bowler something to work with would be beneficial imo.

Besides, I like the fifty over format because it is a whole day's viewing/drinking.

Still a place for T20, full One Dayers and Test. (They can stick the ten over thing up their holes though)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Tamim Iqbal made 126 for Bangladesh. He was dismissed with the score on 180. This represented 70% of the Bangladesh total. Before his dismissal Tamim had a chance to break the the oldest test record. The highest % total made in a completed innings is 67.35, this was made by Charles Bannerman of Australia in the first ever test, who made 145 out of 265 against England at the MCC in 1870. Despite being dead since 1930, he may have been sweating a bit. Wonder how he would have fared out in a T20.

Maybe a marginally more balanced pitch would help the 50 over game maintain its difference. Not saying you need some kind of minefield, but giving the bowler something to work with would be beneficial imo.

Besides, I like the fifty over format because it is a whole day's viewing/drinking.

Still a place for T20, full One Dayers and Test. (They can stick the ten over thing up their holes though)

The bowlers for this game were cannon fodder, just as they are for the IPL. It is a shame, because it will ultimately put youngsters off being bowlers.

That said, some of the shots played were absolutely sublime.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What I find a little odd is how slow the scoring was in the Test matches, in some cases at the same grounds, but now everywhere appears a batsman's paradise

Having said that, this whole "we'll get them in sixes" attitude does liven up the game, and entertain the crowd. T20 and it's knock on effect in both one dayers and test cricket (this series perhaps being the exception with regard to scoring rates) has rejuvenated the game. Maybe even Allen Stanford can take some credit, albeit he was the one that plunged WI cricket into the doldrums for a decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Beasty wrote: »
    What I find a little odd is how slow the scoring was in the Test matches, in some cases at the same grounds, but now everywhere appears a batsman's paradise

Having said that, this whole "we'll get them in sixes" attitude does liven up the game, and entertain the crowd. T20 and it's knock on effect in both one dayers and test cricket (this series perhaps being the exception with regard to scoring rates) has rejuvenated the game. Maybe even Allen Stanford can take some credit, albeit he was the one that plunged WI cricket into the doldrums for a decade or so.

The bowling in the test matches was fair superior. Roach, broad, Anderson, Joseph and shannon gabriel wouldn't serve up the bowling we seen yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think maybe the Whiteball could also be a factor. They don't seem to do much for the bowler.

There's also more scrutiny and even sanctions when the test pitches are terrible, either a road or a minefield. You won't see a cricket association getting criticized when you have teams scoring 400+ in ODI but when a team scores 500+ declared in a test they'll get marked down.

When the World Cup kicks off, we'll probably see these high 300 to 400 batting performances but as the tournament rolls on and the pitches are used the bowlers come into their own. Like the ICC Trophy a couple of year ago. It happens every year in the IPL, the scores come down in the business end with the usage of the pitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Test Match and rest of tour cancelled between New Zealand and Bangladesh. The touring team were on their way to the mosque for Friday prayers when they heard the shooting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Minutes away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

USA win 50 over ODI by 5 wickets against UAE in Dubai. There is a big push by USA to improve facilities and their squad is a competitive Associate level team with a few star players.

Will be interesting to see how they fare over next few years.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

HonalD wrote: »
    USA win 50 over ODI by 5 wickets against UAE in Dubai. There is a big push by USA to improve facilities and their squad is a competitive Associate level team with a few star players.

Will be interesting to see how they fare over next few years.

Good, the more the merrier.

• Advertisement

Xavier Marshall is playing, thought he was about 40, but he is only 32. Played test matches for West Indies a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

England's One Day team looks to have got their abysmal, fortunate, win against the Irish out of their system. Defended a big score the other day, and chased down a whopper today.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Fifth largest successful run chase in ODI history

Looks like the WC will be dominated by the batsmen, with all that T20 experience contributing to some large scores

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You suspect they'd have chased 400 fairly easily today.

You suspect they'd have chased 400 fairly easily today.

Bairstow looked very unhappy to have missed out, only getting 128 today

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Eoin Morgan suffered a nasty looking finger injury in practice today for England. He has been sent for an x-ray. He could potentially be out of the World Cup.

This Eoin Morgan?
    The tournament also marked the first time Morgan, perhaps controversially, publicly stated his wish to play for England, in an interview with Ian Ward of Sky Sports. "The day before we played England in Guyana, we sat on the outfield and I think he started the interview with, 'Tomorrow which changing room would you rather be in?' said Morgan. "And I said it'd be the opposition. We were having a great time and doing great things for cricket in Ireland, but if I wanted to be the best player I could be, I wanted to play professional cricket."

I won't be shedding any tears for him anyway

I see Afghanistan have a decent chance of getting a win today, Pakistan just making 262 in their innings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Zimbabwe were suspended the other day by the ICC with immediate effect. This is due the Zimbabwe government suspending the whole of their cricket board.

The ICC feared that any money given to Zimbabwe cricket would be diverted to the Zimbabwe government.

They are suspended from all ICC competitions and can still play in bilateral series like the one with Ireland last week but obviously with now no funding that won't happen.

Feel sorry for the players who are now basically unemployed with the whole of Zimbabwe cricket up in the air.

• Advertisement

Following up on the retirement of Steyn, Hashim Amla has also announced a retirement from international cricket. The last few years didn't go so well for him unfortunately but there was a time when he was the best batsman around

Advertisement