Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s this.

Options
  • 01-03-2019 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Hi,does anyone know what this might have been used for? It stands about 14” and is made of iron.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

It looks longer than 14inches!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭glaswegian

nokiatom wrote: »
    It looks longer than 14inches!

It’s around 14” high when its open,the fork part of it is hinged and the fork is around 20” long.

glaswegian wrote: »
    It’s around 14” high when its open,the fork part of it is hinged and the fork is around 20” long.
    These pics might help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

At a wild guess I would say it's something fire-hearth related.

Thanks Enbalmer,i was thinking it was for outdoor use,perhaps the fork was for going into clay to steady it?

what makes you think it's for a hearth?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

To be honest I've no idea..I was looking at the hinge and what looks like prongs as possibly something you'd hang a kettle on but I really don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Scotch Broiler? used for cooking on in front of the open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Hi,does anyone know what this might have been used for? It stands about 14” and is made of iron.

Is it anything to do with forging horse shoes or forging in general?

Thanks Lady Haywire and Nokiatom, i'd say that's what this is,it does look like there is a bar missing from the bottom,how would it have been used? would it have been standing in front of the fire? or hanging over it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thanks Lady Haywire and Nokiatom, i'd say that's what this is,it does look like there is a bar missing from the bottom,how would it have been used? would it have been standing in front of the fire? or hanging over it?

I think propped up very close to the hearth, I suppose whatever you were cooking would differ with how near you'd place it.

Thanks,i googled it and it's also known as a harnen (hardening )stand,used for drying oatcakes or bread in front of the fire.

Thanks all for your input.

Advertisement